DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

We've never had it so good

Dave Bloke

French Trotskyite front runner Jean Luc Melenchon has claimed that "France has never been richer but the money is just divided up badly".

But is this true for Western economies? I looked at GDP figures and he's wrong, France's GDP peaked in 2007 and has not recovered but it is close and it is true that over a 50 year period France is 4x as well off. I looked at GDP / head and it follows a similar trend.

but it feels like something is wrong with all these figures. Is it housing costs? but they are taken into account in inflation, at least the rental component.

One percent
2 hours ago, davidg said:

French Trotskyite front runner Jean Luc Melenchon has claimed that "France has never been richer but the money is just divided up badly".

But is this true for Western economies? I looked at GDP figures and he's wrong, France's GDP peaked in 2007 and has not recovered but it is close and it is true that over a 50 year period France is 4x as well off. I looked at GDP / head and it follows a similar trend.

but it feels like something is wrong with all these figures. Is it housing costs? but they are taken into account in inflation, at least the rental component.

Polarisation of wealth.  

See here, especially the genie coefficient since 1960 and the distribution of wealth.  On this level we are almost back to pre ww2  

7 hours ago, One percent said:

Polarisation of wealth.  

See here, especially the genie coefficient since 1960 and the distribution of wealth.  On this level we are almost back to pre ww2  

The 1930s were a good time. We could sing about Hitler, and it was all OK!

Carl Fimble
17 minutes ago, MrPin said:

The 1930s were a good time. We could sing about Hitler, and it was all OK!

Bloody hell Pinny, you're a lot older than I'd imagined you were.

Were these songs about Hitler complimentary, or the one about him having a singular nut in his satchel? The other of course being in the Albert Hall, swimming, with naked women.

3 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Bloody hell Pinny, you're a lot older than I'd imagined you were.

Were these songs about Hitler complimentary, or the one about him having a singular nut in his satchel? The other of course being in the Albert Hall, swimming, with naked women.

I think my aunt sang those songs! She liked Hitler a lot, and is not fond of the French!