• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Bloody computers ... taking our jobs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42905515

'As companies rely more on machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) to find the right job candidates, is recruitment in danger of losing that personal touch?

Peter Lane, a 21-year-old who graduated last summer from Cardiff University with a degree in History, is hoping to get into business consulting.

He's applied for 55 jobs and secured around 15 interviews, but believes technology has hindered rather than helped his search. The interviews weren't what he was expecting.'

Oh FFS.

"There was no way to tell if I'd impressed them with my answers or experience as there was no human interaction."

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

'As companies rely more on machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) to find the right job candidates, is recruitment in danger of losing that personal touch?

Peter Lane, a 21-year-old who graduated last summer from Cardiff University with a degree in History, is hoping to get into business consulting.

He's applied for 55 jobs and secured around 15 interviews, but believes technology has hindered rather than helped his search. The interviews weren't what he was expecting.'

Oh FFS.

"There was no way to tell if I'd impressed them with my answers or experience as there was no human interaction."

Computer says no. xD

"Profits have collapsed, our best people are leaving, and the shareholders are after my blood.....if only I had a 21 year old history graduate with no real world experience whatsoever to help get me out of this mess..."

- No CEO Ever

Edited by JoeDavola

16 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

He needs an opportunity to make use of his degree. History teacher.

If he wants to be in business he should open a business.

He doesn't want a job that requires responsibility or an actual deliverable - hence the desire to 'consult'.

He could take a course in entrepreneurship.

There's a woman works part-time in Spoons. She was made redundant from local uni, *cough, formerly technical college. She used to lecture in Business Development and Entrepreneurship.

When asked why hasn't she ever started her own business she replies that she wouldn't have a clue...or a lot more paragraphs that mean that.

3 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

He could take a course in entrepreneurship.

There's a woman works part-time in Spoons. She was made redundant from local uni, *cough, formerly technical college. She used to lecture in Business Development and Entrepreneurship.

When asked why hasn't she ever started her own business she replies that she wouldn't have a clue...or a lot more paragraphs that mean that.

Oh god, yes, I bump into members of the FE/HE business studies (old word), Entrepreneurship (new word).

They are a very special type of people.

15 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

I feel a bit bad laughing at someone's bad fortune, but that's a hilarious story and perfectly encapsulates what's wrong with further education.

14 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Oh god, yes, I bump into members of the FE/HE business studies (old word), Entrepreneurship (new word).

They are a very special type of people.

Yes, I have met them too.  This sounds rude but most of them could not manage their way out of a wet paper bag.  They are, as you say, special.  

3 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

"Profits have collapsed, our best people are leaving, and the shareholders are after my blood.....if only I had a 21 year old history graduate with no real world experience whatsoever to help get me out of this mess..."

- No CEO Ever

That is the perfect description of every associate* charged out by a consulting firm

(* a horrible American word that seems to have been adopted of late, like intern or VP. Equals junior in old money)

Edited by Panther

3 hours ago, Panther said:

That is the perfect description of every associate* charged out by a consulting firm

(* a horrible American word that seems to have been adopted of late, like intern or VP. Equals junior in old money)

Why would people be so stupid as to pay for this "service"?

10 hours ago, spygirl said:

Oh FFS.

More than happy for a computer to filter out candidates, I'd rather a machine did it than Human Remains.

58 minutes ago, eight said:

Why would people be so stupid as to pay for this "service"?

Ah, the eternal circle of Mba to condultant to management to managing to hiring mba consultants.

See GE for the end game for a over managed MBAd company.

5 hours ago, Panther said:

My favourite American term along those lines (and it has to be said rather than spelled) is the "summer undergraduate research fellow" (surf). I'm not joking.