• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

This animal appears at the end of a video on the So-Called BBC site showing all the snow in Moscow. It looks odd to me, as if someone has crossed a cat with a monkey.

What is it?  I have cat, monkey, macaque and lemur as my possibilities - any others?

I should have said it was on the banks of the Bristol Avon at the beginning of the 20th century but couldn't be arsed....

image.png.d9882d6d21751bf15b0cd149ce0618ab.png

You are just uncertain as most things in Russia in the snow are supposed to be naked and about to plunge into a frozen lake. Maybe the cat will take his fur coat off in a sec and jump into something suitably ice cold.

Looks like a normal cat to me that is just a big ball of fur to keep out the harsh Russian cold.

Who the feck, thousands of years ago, go as far as the cold of the Russian wilderness and thought to themselves "This is a lovely place - let's stay here and build out civilisation!"?

Pretty sure that's a Pallas's cat, endangered but native to parts of the old soviet union. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallas's_cat

It does have a very flat face giving it a monkey like appearance. 

EDIT  : Just seen the actual video in question, yes that's definitely a Palas's Cat, I suspect the video was taken in a zoo even though the video doesn't make that clear.

Edited by gilf

1 minute ago, gilf said:

Pretty sure that's a Pallas's cat, endangered but native to parts of the old soviet union. 

See, there is at least one pussy expert on here.

Interesting what you say about the flat face. It has long been considered that Asian faces are flat and the eyes slit-like due to Humans crossing the cold wilderness of modern-day Russia and the Himalayas on the way to China, South-East Asia, Alaska, etc. If other mammals in that part of the world have flatter faces than their cousins further West that would perhaps back up the theory.

14 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Yeah looks like it is a Pallas's cat, here's another on Google images.

The one in the zoo walks clumsily, not like other cats IMO. The Pallas's cat in the recent Beeb cats programme was graceful like most cats.

Image result for Russian wildcat

1600x1100_Lorax._V347889890_RI_SX940_.jpg

43 minutes ago, gilf said:

EDIT  : Just seen the actual video in question, yes that's definitely a Palas's Cat, I suspect the video was taken in a zoo even though the video doesn't make that clear.

They were on that big cats program the other week.

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

They were on that big cats program the other week.

Not seen it. 

I've a good knowledge of the small cats, mainly because when I visit a zoo I refused to be beaten and stay staring at a seemingly empty cage for hours to make sure I get my monies worth and see every animal. 

9 times  out of 10 I notice after an hour a sign along the lines of "this exhibit is currently closed for refurbishment and the animal has been removed". 

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

See, there is at least one pussy expert on here.

Interesting what you say about the flat face. It has long been considered that Asian faces are flat and the eyes slit-like due to Humans crossing the cold wilderness of modern-day Russia and the Himalayas on the way to China, South-East Asia, Alaska, etc. If other mammals in that part of the world have flatter faces than their cousins further West that would perhaps back up the theory.

Not a mammal, but what do black squirrels look like relative to their red and grey cousins?

9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Not a mammal, but what do black squirrels look like relative to their red and grey cousins?

The black squirrels in Geneva and the region look like red squirrels only they're black. Some of them are black with a reddish hue, others completely black. Was quite surprised when I first saw one in an Alpine forest, thought I'd strayed into Mirkwood!

Oh and what do you mean, not a mammal? 

Edited by swissy_fit

Its a Palass's cat native to the Russian steps and miserable buggers apparently

article-2315116-1974F5E4000005DC-838_634x424.jpg

article-2315116-1974F5FC000005DC-747_634x433.jpg

DarnDarnDarnyDarn beaten too it.

Sod it here's a video

If looks could kill lol

Edited by JackieO