• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
dgul

The lucky few

Recommended Posts

I've just seen this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-42953020/parents-of-children-with-down-s-syndrome-get-tattoos

I don't really get this.  The whole 'tattoo to show solidarity' thing seems like madness to me (unless it's a hard-ass biker club, say).  Then the Down's syndrome thing, which IMO isn't anything to be celebrated (my cousin has Down's -- his was a normal life denied rather than life saved).

'Lucky few'.  Cognitive dissonance more like.

Anyway, in it a boy with Down's syndrome* gets a tattoo.  I can't see how this is in any way ethical.

[* well, it doesn't say this explicitly.  But if he's not got Down's he's got some serious problems...]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dgul said:

I've just seen this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cornwall-42953020/parents-of-children-with-down-s-syndrome-get-tattoos

I don't really get this.  The whole 'tattoo to show solidarity' thing seems like madness to me (unless it's a hard-ass biker club, say).  Then the Down's syndrome thing, which IMO isn't anything to be celebrated (my cousin has Down's -- his was a normal life denied rather than life saved).

'Lucky few'.  Cognitive dissonance more like.

Anyway, in it a boy with Down's syndrome* gets a tattoo.  I can't see how this is in any way ethical.

[* well, it doesn't say this explicitly.  But if he's not got Down's he's got some serious problems...]

Why don’t they go the whole hog, set up concentration camps and tattoo numbers on their forearms. 

Idiots. I can see that wearing a lapel badge is a good idea but tattoos?  Seriously?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, One percent said:

Why don’t they go the whole hog, set up concentration camps and tattoo numbers on their forearms. 

Idiots. I can see that wearing a lapel badge is a good idea but tattoos?  Seriously?  

My sister took part in a charity "tattoo"  event for Acorn hospice. 
She's now got a shit brown line on her back that if you squint a bit looks vaguely like a child has been given chance to draw half an acorn. Vile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im uncomfortable about this celebration of Downs and disabled kids.

Its a fucking tragedy for all, esp. The kids.

I grew up near a Downs kid family. Kid was a worry all his short - 38y - life.

By the time he was 15 he was anything but cute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One person needs to learn where her heart is,

One person didn't have the courage to resist peer pressure so hid the tattoo under her hair behind her ear

I am sure the parents want to bond, which suggests that they don't feel lucky. I really can't see what is lucky.

But I know fekk all about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am always puzzled by people that want raise awareness of certain causes in that I am not sure it achieves anything,other than pausing to think about someone else's situation for a few seconds which usually ellicits a feeling of pity for them.

I am aware of many things in this world without people going to the extremes of having a tattoo to make me aware of some cause that they find important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Im uncomfortable about this celebration of Downs and disabled kids.

Its a fucking tragedy for all, esp. The kids.

I grew up near a Downs kid family. Kid was a worry all his short - 38y - life.

By the time he was 15 he was anything but cute.

Many years ago I used to teach in the private sector.  I came across some difficult kids for various reasons but some of the most difficult were the siblings of disabled children when all parents' efforts had gone in to dealing with the disabled child: hospital appointments, tantrums etc.  The siblings were neglected and very bitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ina said:

Many years ago I used to teach in the private sector.  I came across some difficult kids for various reasons but some of the most difficult were the siblings of disabled children when all parents' efforts had gone in to dealing with the disabled child: hospital appointments, tantrums etc.  The siblings were neglected and very bitter.

I work with someone whose brother was mentally disabled and he is the most selfish person you will ever meet.

I am sure this is down to his disabled brother getting all the attention when they were kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ina said:

Many years ago I used to teach in the private sector.  I came across some difficult kids for various reasons but some of the most difficult were the siblings of disabled children when all parents' efforts had gone in to dealing with the disabled child: hospital appointments, tantrums etc.  The siblings were neglected and very bitter.

I know onesies going to have a pop but uts that cu t Brown and hus tax credits again.

Pre NHS a extremely physically disabled kid would physically and finacially ruin a family. Most, fortunately died early. The obvious ones at birth were knocked on the heax

1950 up to 2002ish a disabled kid was a misfortune but survivable.

Post tax credits disabled kids are a lottery win. All misfortune is dumbed on an expensive army of healthcare teachers - and tax payer. And people have responded - downs births have shot up so much that there is reluctance to update the downs birth stats.

A lotof  oeople are not making sensible choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M S E Refugee said:

I work with someone whose brother was mentally disabled and he is the most selfish person you will ever meet.

I am sure this is down to his disabled brother getting all the attention when they were kids.

Yup I worked in a private boarding school in the 90s and 00s. Some of the kids were there to enable parents to deal with a disabled sibling. It was tragic and the non disabled sibling knew it.  They made life very difficult for peers and staff alike.  It is an issue that is unreported and ignored.  I now live next door to a home for severely disabled kids and young adults.  I reckon about 30 taxis a a day go past, staff kids etc.  The noise in the Summer is unbelievable.  There is one who thinks he is a fire engine and runs round the garden for hours making a siren noise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I know onesies going to have a pop but uts that cu t Brown and hus tax credits again.

Pre NHS a extremely physically disabled kid would physically and finacially ruin a family. Most, fortunately died early. The obvious ones at birth were knocked on the heax

1950 up to 2002ish a disabled kid was a misfortune but survivable.

Post tax credits disabled kids are a lottery win. All misfortune is dumbed on an expensive army of healthcare teachers - and tax payer. And people have responded - downs births have shot up so much that there is reluctance to update the downs birth stats.

A lotof  oeople are not making sensible choices.

Won’t have a go, I agree. 

Pone of the issues is as discussed ages ago.  I walk past a special school with the hound, normally at drop off. The result of cousins marrying each other is laid bare when watching the kids being dropped off. There is not one, not one, white kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I know onesies going to have a pop but uts that cu t Brown and hus tax credits again.

Pre NHS a extremely physically disabled kid would physically and finacially ruin a family. Most, fortunately died early. The obvious ones at birth were knocked on the heax

1950 up to 2002ish a disabled kid was a misfortune but survivable.

Post tax credits disabled kids are a lottery win. All misfortune is dumbed on an expensive army of healthcare teachers - and tax payer. And people have responded - downs births have shot up so much that there is reluctance to update the downs birth stats.

A lotof  oeople are not making sensible choices.

This is beyond a difficult post for me.  Father in law is a retired GP.  His ex senior partner was born c 1919.  He was practising as a rural GP in the 50s doing the usual round of home births etc with a very experienced midwife.  When a very obviously disabled baby was born to poor parents with other children that baby never made it.  I won't go in to the details but whilst the pair of them "played god" they absolutely knew the devastating impact of a severe disability on a family who were already struggling.

Today a handicapped child is a lottery win in terms of benefits etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ina said:

This is beyond a difficult post for me.  Father in law is a retired GP.  His ex senior partner was born c 1919.  He was practising as a rural GP in the 50s doing the usual round of home births etc with a very experienced midwife.  When a very obviously disabled baby was born to poor parents with other children that baby never made it.  I won't go in to the details but whilst the pair of them "played god" they absolutely knew the devastating impact of a severe disability on a family who were already struggling.

Today a handicapped child is a lottery win in terms of benefits etc.

Well... they think its a lottery payout.

Instead you are strapped to a very disabled kid til it dies. Then the money stops.

If youre lucky. Unlucky is knowing youre going to die before your kid.

Each downs kid costs about 200k in healthcare, special teachers, benefits. 

The really disabled ones are up to 500k +.

But its not the money. Its the emotional hell. 

Ive seen the reactions pretty close. Heath care visitors and LA workers, who dont deal with pointy end, make a fuss and come up with crap like - lots of support, normal life etc.

Specialist nurses and the people who deal with shitty end look and think fuck.

Ive never seen parents of a disabled older kid appear in these cutesy videos. Seriously, once youve had a disabled kid for 15 years, puberty and all that, you wont want another. Or to encourage another one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Well... they think its a lottery payout.

Instead you are strapped to a very disabled kid til it dies. Then the money stops.

If youre lucky. Unlucky is knowing youre going to die before your kid.

Each downs kid costs about 200k in healthcare, special teachers, benefits. 

The really disabled ones are up to 500k +.

But its not the money. Its the emotional hell. 

Ive seen the reactions pretty close. Heath care visitors and LA workers, who dont deal with pointy end, make a fuss and come up with crap like - lots of support, normal life etc.

Specialist nurses and the people who deal with shitty end look and think fuck.

Ive never seen parents of a disabled older kid appear in these cutesy videos. Seriously, once youve had a disabled kid for 15 years, puberty and all that, you wont want another. Or to encourage another one.

 

Yeah I was referring to benefits only.  The emotional toll I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  I see the pain on the faces of the parents at that place next to me as they take the kids out down the lane in those wheelchairs that need head support etc. It is harrowing.  I think the impact on the quality of life for all concerned is beyond negative.  There is no answer.  The bloke who invented the incubator for premature babies said it was the worst thing he ever did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Well... they think its a lottery payout.

Instead you are strapped to a very disabled kid til it dies. Then the money stops.

If youre lucky. Unlucky is knowing youre going to die before your kid.

Each downs kid costs about 200k in healthcare, special teachers, benefits. 

The really disabled ones are up to 500k +.

But its not the money. Its the emotional hell. 

Ive seen the reactions pretty close. Heath care visitors and LA workers, who dont deal with pointy end, make a fuss and come up with crap like - lots of support, normal life etc.

Specialist nurses and the people who deal with shitty end look and think fuck.

Ive never seen parents of a disabled older kid appear in these cutesy videos. Seriously, once youve had a disabled kid for 15 years, puberty and all that, you wont want another. Or to encourage another one.

 

I knew a woman years ago who had a very severely disabled son. The social,worker, or whatever  badge the loon was carrying told her that once he hit puberty, she would have to erm, ‘relieve him’  O.o

she was quite upset at the thought, as you can imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

I knew a woman years ago who had a very severely disabled son. The social,worker, or whatever  badge the loon was carrying told her that once he hit puberty, she would have to erm, ‘relieve him’  O.o

she was quite upset at the thought, as you can imagine. 

Bit like those daft women who try to bring up chimps in America.

Pg tips ad to getting your arms ripped out of your socket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parents need the word CUNT tattooed on their foreheads.

The kids will be just fine. Downs Syndrome people are perfect for life in the burgeoning low-skill precariat class where any initiative is frowned upon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, One percent said:

I knew a woman years ago who had a very severely disabled son. The social,worker, or whatever  badge the loon was carrying told her that once he hit puberty, she would have to erm, ‘relieve him’  O.o

she was quite upset at the thought, as you can imagine. 

Pretty easy to train most Down's males to do it themselves.

The tricky bit is getting them to understand that there's a time and a place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dgul said:

Pretty easy to train most Down's males to do it themselves.

The tricky bit is getting them to understand that there's a time and a place.

This poor kid was essentially a brain damaged cabbage. Confined to bed and unable to communicate. Sad. Why the hell they kept the poor kid alive at birth is a complete mystery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, One percent said:

This poor kid was essentially a brain damaged cabbage. Confined to bed and unable to communicate. Sad. Why the hell they kept the poor kid alive at birth is a complete mystery. 

I did know of a place that did that for the inmates.  All very professional.  Then the papers got involved -- it was portrayed as abuse and it all had to stop.  Bit of a disaster, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One percent said:

Won’t have a go, I agree. 

Pone of the issues is as discussed ages ago.  I walk past a special school with the hound, normally at drop off. The result of cousins marrying each other is laid bare when watching the kids being dropped off. There is not one, not one, white kid. 

Friend of the family works with severely disabled children in Manchester, something like 70% of them are of asian descent and mostly due to generations of cousins marrying cousins.

Unfortunately these kids cannot choose their parents whoose cultural practices have deeply affected them and the results are quite heartbreaking, so much so she is finding the work increasingly depressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Friend of the family works with severely disabled children in Manchester, something like 70% of them are of asian descent and mostly due to generations of cousins marrying cousins.

Unfortunately these kids cannot choose their parents whoose cultural practices have deeply affected them and the results are quite heartbreaking, so much so she is finding the work increasingly depressing.

I guess that if this continues, they are at danger of breeding themselves out of existence. I hardly think these poor kids will Mary or procreate. 

Meanwhile, exactly how much is this costing the uk taxpayer (aka me)?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.