• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

UmBongo

Can I haz internet?

Recommended Posts

An replacement thread to my other one about my house move.

Today I have a day off work to hopefully get my phone line operational once and for all. I have had a call from the caretaker/supervisor from the council confirming that he's unlocked a cupboard that contains all of the BT phone lines. Now waiting for a BT Openreach engineer to hopefully sort this out once and for all.

The lack of main internet is the main reason for my low post rate on this forum since the start of the year. I'm typing this on my phone using expensive mobile data (and trying to avoid the 'ketboard' errors that @spygirl sometimes make ;) )

I've moved 5 times in 14 years (never again!). Haven't had so much faff regarding a phone line before. :(

Fingers crossed! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UmBongo said:

An replacement thread to my other one about my house move.

Today I have a day off work to hopefully get my phone line operational once and for all. I have had a call from the caretaker/supervisor from the council confirming that he's unlocked a cupboard that contains all of the BT phone lines. Now waiting for a BT Openreach engineer to hopefully sort this out once and for all.

The lack of main internet is the main reason for my low post rate on this forum since the start of the year. I'm typing this on my phone using expensive mobile data (and trying to avoid the 'ketboard' errors that @spygirl sometimes make ;) )

I've moved 5 times in 14 years (never again!). Haven't had so much faff regarding a phone line before. :(

Fingers crossed! :)

 

Good luck dealing with bt. Record everything. They do. They also lie with impunity about the price and what services you think you agreed to.

my recent run in with them, they lied about everything. Luckily, they had recorded it and I just kept referring them back to the original call where the new contract was set up.  They lied about:

  • cost
  • call package
  • virus protection 

 

all all to my detriment of course  sharks of the first order

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UmBongo said:

I have had a call from the caretaker/supervisor from the council confirming that he's unlocked a cupboard that contains all of the BT phone lines. Now waiting for a BT Openreach engineer to hopefully sort this out once and for all.

 

Ooooooooooo exciting. 

I started a blog when I switched suppliers years ago to ensure I had a record of every interaction with them. It all went really smoothly - much to my surprise.
Last time was from BT type line to virgin media. Don't think I bothered then. Should probably start blogging about virgin now to provide a case for asking for a reduction. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the probably fairly likely event that BT don't manage to sort it, if you can get cable, they tend to run that up the side of the building so don't need access to any "cupboards". It just comes in directly from the outside.

However, if you're more than two floors up, IIRC they tend not to bother servicing the building unless the cable has already been run internally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One percent said:

Good luck dealing with bt. Record everything. They do.

The BT Openreach engineer was pretty good. My broadband supplier instructed BT Openreach as they (and most) depend on the lines to provide the service.

Only lowpoint was having to wake a new neighbour up because the phone DP points (?) was in his utility cupboard. The council's caretaker unlocked the wrong feckin' cupboard but no-one was none the wiser.

Engineer said it appears that the cabling was extremely old and that not many flats in the block had phone lines connected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Online now!! B|B|

Posting from my desktop PC in my living room.

I'm a very happy bunny now.:D

Big screen and proper buttons on an actual ketboratdnsdapndkkcnsusbasjyz, or however it is that Spy spells it.

Is that you finished moving completely now that you have t'internet?

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Smart TV has detected YouTube once again! B|

58 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Is that you finished moving completely now that you have t'internet?

:)

I think so.

Still some internal doors to get cut down, refit and repaint and that will be all the decorating done. For this year at least. Until...

...the council decides to put in a new kitchen and bathroom. B| (next financial year I hope)

Edited by UmBongo
added a bit more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

The BT Openreach engineer was pretty good. My broadband supplier instructed BT Openreach as they (and most) depend on the lines to provide the service.

Only lowpoint was having to wake a new neighbour up because the phone DP points (?) was in his utility cupboard. The council's caretaker unlocked the wrong feckin' cupboard but no-one was none the wiser.

Engineer said it appears that the cabling was extremely old and that not many flats in the block had phone lines connected.

They never had enough phone lines to the block I lived in and would dax them. twats. fucked dialup right up. So they'd have to come back and sort my line out. right til the next person wanted a phone line. rinse and repeat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MrPin said:

My Giff-Gaff monthy goody bag provides all the internet I need.

Mine provides more than the internet I need on my phone. I am connected at everyone's house I go to for t'interweb and am rarely using my phone outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UmBongo said:

The BT Openreach engineer was pretty good. My broadband supplier instructed BT Openreach as they (and most) depend on the lines to provide the service.

Only lowpoint was having to wake a new neighbour up because the phone DP points (?) was in his utility cupboard. The council's caretaker unlocked the wrong feckin' cupboard but no-one was none the wiser.

Engineer said it appears that the cabling was extremely old and that not many flats in the block had phone lines connected.

I had a ropey phoneline for 13 years. Standard ADSL ran ok on it with very few drops using, most recently, EE Brightbox.

I jumped to BT 2-3 months ago and my new smart hub did not like my line at all. Constant drops. Think service was too fast for line to remain stable.

Smart hub flashing like a traffic light every 20 minutes.

Reported a fault, Openreach guy came and wired a new master socket from where line enters house. So no more filters.

He also said if he had to tinker with the socket upstairs, it would be classed as a new line and not a fault repair, thereby saving me £130.

Cordless phones are your friend here.

So from a logisitcs and reliability pov i cant complain. My new box is d/l ing at 55mbps and i'm a happy camper so far.

I have a beef with bt over their insistence on billing me in advance for a quarter on the old deal, whilst simultaneously taking a DD for my new service on a monthly basis. I have been assured that the debits will decrease over time to compensate me for the double charge. We shall see.

The entire livechat is sat as a doc on my desktop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shindigger said:

I had a ropey phoneline for 13 years. Standard ADSL ran ok on it with very few drops using, most recently, EE Brightbox.

I jumped to BT 2-3 months ago and my new smart hub did not like my line at all. Constant drops. Think service was too fast for line to remain stable.

Smart hub flashing like a traffic light every 20 minutes.

Reported a fault, Openreach guy came and wired a new master socket from where line enters house. So no more filters.

He also said if he had to tinker with the socket upstairs, it would be classed as a new line and not a fault repair, thereby saving me £130.

Cordless phones are your friend here.

So from a logisitcs and reliability pov i cant complain. My new box is d/l ing at 55mbps and i'm a happy camper so far.

I have a beef with bt over their insistence on billing me in advance for a quarter on the old deal, whilst simultaneously taking a DD for my new service on a monthly basis. I have been assured that the debits will decrease over time to compensate me for the double charge. We shall see.

The entire livechat is sat as a doc on my desktop.

We had a problem with our master box for years. Bloody bt said that if th fault was on our side, whatever that means, they would charge us. 

Bought a new one off fleabay and fitted it myself. If works perfectly. 

I know this is illegal in some way but I’m not going to be held to ransom by these sharks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

We had a problem with our master box for years. Bloody bt said that if th fault was on our side, whatever that means, they would charge us. 

Bought a new one off fleabay and fitted it myself. If works perfectly. 

I know this is illegal in some way but I’m not going to be held to ransom by these sharks. 

That was why i never went near them, i always knew my line was shonky but it just about did the job.

And did not want to be steamed for £130. They seemed keener to get involved when it was them providing the BB however..

Kudos for fitting the socket yourself. I see the new version is only 2 cables the Openreach fella left me miles of cabling to move as i see fit.

He was very fair with me, told me what he could do for free, and i bit his bloody hand off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shindigger said:

That was why i never went near them, i always knew my line was shonky but it just about did the job.

And did not want to be steamed for £130. They seemed keener to get involved when it was them providing the BB however..

Kudos for fitting the socket yourself. I see the new version is only 2 cables the Openreach fella left me miles of cabling to move as i see fit.

He was very fair with me, told me what he could do for free, and i bit his bloody hand off.

I think the engineers are sound. Worked professionally with a couple of retirees. It’s the business model that they adopt that is the problem. 

Changing the master was dead easy.  Diagram me of wires in the old, replicated in the new. Simples. I now have a separate socket for B.B. so as you say, no micro filters needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

I think the engineers are sound. Worked professionally with a couple of retirees. It’s the business model that they adopt that is the problem. 

Changing the master was dead easy.  Diagram me of wires in the old, replicated in the new. Simples. I now have a separate socket for B.B. so as you say, no micro filters needed. 

Aye i really should have done that myself. My socket was left threadbare under the stairs and was barely accessible. Thats my excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shindigger said:

Aye i really should have done that myself. My socket was left threadbare under the stairs and was barely accessible. Thats my excuse.

I’m just tights on spent ages faffing on the internet. The trick is having one of those tools to sit the wires where they need to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now i think about it, as he emerged from the understairs cubby hole covered in dust and cobwebs he did announce that the line was fucked further back. So even if i had buggered about with a new box in there, it wouldn't have fixed it. It was so hard to access i later discovered that all his work and equipment he had used up to that point he just left, when he realised he was barking up the wrong tree. New master socket the lot. Just started again with another one. just abandoned it. Its probably home to 4 false widows now....

He had to run it from the point of entry to house. And thats where i would have probably come unstuck anyway.

He did say that the junction box just inside the door was probably installed in the 40s/50s.

Amazing what comes through that little old relay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We live on a lane that has five houses. It's about 1200m of wire back to the "fibre" cabinet. For us. More like 1700m of wire for the people at the end of the lane.

Which itself was put there with government, I mean, taxpayer's money, as it wasn't "commercially viable" to upgrade.

And now the "area" is marked as being able to get "superfast broadband" which means 30Mbps downstream.

There is no way a line of that length could get near that even if it were in perfect condition. Our neighbours have the service and get about 20Mbps down and 2Mbps up. BT "estimates" we'd see between 13Mbps and 36Mbps. Which is meaningless. Only the top end of that would be tolerable. Gives them a nice get-out clause though.

There are no spare pairs left. That's why Openreach were back and forth with vans, cherry pickers and up to six staff at a time (one to go up the pole, another to operate the cherry picker and the others to stand watching) faffing around swapping the available pairs around to see if they could find one in decent condition after the service failed to live up the speed promises for one neighbour.

The highlight was when I heard the words "I've swapped the dropwire and it's still not fast enough for these fuckers", later followed by "the problem is the line plant". Well, yes. It must be about eighty years old, downed and spliced back together at various times. I could have told them that.

They've also been out multiple times faffing around with the dropwire at our neighbour's house.

And they've also shortened the line length by running it under the road at the end of the lane instead of going 200m down the road and back on itself again.

After all that, it couldn't have been much more expensive, indeed probably cheaper, to have dragged fibre from pole to pole and run it to the distribution point.

But that's what a modern company would do. BT is a pension scheme with a noddy old phone company hanging off the end of it keen to present itself as the answer to the UK's dismal broadband which in turn is because the network has been milked like cash cow for thirty four years and BT knows it suck at the teats of the taxpayer every so often when the situation becomes untenable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, longtomsilver said:

I’m with Three. If I move my broadband moves with me. £24 a month.

We use EE (now owned by BT). 4G. Around 30Mbps down and 48Mbps up most of the time.

Problem is the data allowance is only 100GB/mo and we use about 140GB.

You used to be able to "buy a top up" of another 20GB for £20, so it cost £75 + £20 + £20/mo.

Now, when it runs out, you can't buy a top up online. That part of the portal has been broken for six weeks. You have to call. Which isn't possible after 9pm.

We're out of contract now, so I need to call them and check on the end of contract date (I know it was November 2017) and intimate that we'll be moving because the portal remains broken. 

With the hope that 100GB/mo will be increased to 200GB/mo.

EE's online/account management area being broken has been consistent for a long time. It doesn't break for minutes, or hours. It breaks for literally weeks or months. Three isn't much better. They regularly fail to whitelist the 3DSecure URL so you find once it's out of data, you can't buy a top up.

You really couldn't make these things up. Glossy stores and sexy adverts backed up by a shambles of an IT department.

Three is shite here. There's just no backhaul. Manages about 12 down and 20 up at best. Vodafone is quite good but variable.

Having had circa 50Mbps up for about 2 years, any significant drop is really noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DTMark said:

After all that, it couldn't have been much more expensive, indeed probably cheaper, to have dragged fibre from pole to pole and run it to the distribution point.

But that's what a modern company would do. BT is a pension scheme with a noddy old phone company hanging off the end of it keen to present itself as the answer to the UK's dismal broadband which in turn is because the network has been milked like cash cow for thirty four years and BT knows it suck at the teats of the taxpayer every so often when the situation becomes untenable.

Judging by the amount of time that Openreach spend blankly staring into the green box of the village where my daughter goes to school, I doubt the entire village is profitable for them. There must be an engineer there at least twice a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By Chewing Grass
      Just thought I'd start a thread for all that weird or obscure things of interest we stumble upon on our digital adventures starting with this stuff I found today, should I try some?

      Ram Bullet feed supplement.
    • By Caravan Monster
      Internet personality Styxhexenhammer666 (real name Tarl Warwick) running for Governor in Vermont. Think he has a reasonable online following doing mostly political commentary and was one of the earliest commentators to call Trump's election victory. Assuming this is isn't a wind up and he manages to get anywhere with his campaign, it'll be interesting to see how he does. There's plenty of mostly young youtubers out there with political convictions, followers and debating skills. Styx is a bit 'distinctive' looking and seems to be involved with the occult, which would probably count against him. Could people from the internet could be a new force in politics ?
      https://www.bitchute.com/video/j-Q8t7K6Sas/
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.