• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Doesn't work

Those to lose all their money include the Harpurhey Neighbourhood Project, which has been helping struggling residents in the area since the 1970s.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-council-voluntary-group-funding-14258098

If residents in Harpurhey are still poor and struggling after all these years then whilst this project might feel sad it'll have to shut, it'll have to realise that it doesn't actually solve anything long term.

She said the decision was taken ‘without so much as a phone call’, adding that the funding would have let her project apply for £2m in lottery cash in order to expand the centre, creating ten jobs.

5 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Those to lose all their money include the Harpurhey Neighbourhood Project, which has been helping struggling residents in the area since the 1970s.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-council-voluntary-group-funding-14258098

If residents in Harpurhey are still poor and struggling after all these years then whilst this project might feel sad it'll have to shut, it'll have to realise that it doesn't actually solve anything long term.

Clearly needed closing and the strategy rethinking.

Other organisations received considerable repeat funding, including Chorlton Good Neighbours, which got more than £150,000.

Who works for Chorlton Good Neighbours?

• Helen Hibberd is our full-time coordinator who oversees the daily running of the organisation.
  • Diane Dixon is our part-time visiting support worker whose remit is to offer a regular weekly visit to older people with specific needs
  • Philip Barrett and Geraldine Wall are our part-time ‘older mens project’ workers.  Phil visits older men in their own homes and finding new local activities and interests for them Geraldine is a freelance worker coordinating the gardening project.
  • Moira Bowater, started as our community support worker in July 2016. This is what she says about her part-time post:”I have met a number of people with various needs and have enjoyed getting to know the people I visit. Some of the people I visit I take out shopping in a wheelchair others I visit for a chat or we go for a walk or go to a cafe for a chat and cup of tea or coffee”
Edited by sarahbell

These projects are usually excellent value for money because they attract a lot of volunteer workers.

Its centre provides a range of support to people living in the local community, including a drug and alcohol service and advice on benefits and getting back into work. Loss of the grant wipes out half its budget, meaning it cannot afford to pay staff.

Gayle Hindley, who runs the project, said: “I am appalled that an organisation that has served the community for 40 years can be written off without our track record being taken into account.

“Our work has been monitored by the council for over 20 years and we have never been told that they were unhappy with it.

“Harpurhey is one of the poorest areas in the country and we already lag behind other wards in the city in terms of resources and now they want to take away more.”

She said the decision was taken ‘without so much as a phone call’, adding that the funding would have let her project apply for £2m in lottery cash in order to expand the centre, creating ten jobs.

“How is the city council going to provide that for less than 40 grand?” she added.

Pulling that £40k is going to cost a multiple of that in increased costs for social services and the police IMHO and I regard it as very shortsighted.

The groups where you have to be an immigrant minority to get any help can howveer do one; equality works both ways.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Other organisations received considerable repeat funding, including Chorlton Good Neighbours, which got more than £150,000.

Chorlton has fried chicken shops.