• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Natural consequences of turning educashun into a marketplace

8 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

I think you would have to have the whole class failing badly to win a case like that until then it`s a fools game going to court on that one

But yes HE is nothing more than a business now 

What struck me was how long ago this alleged bad teaching was. Surely if he was clever enough to get a first from Oxford that he was cheated out of, surely he would be clever enough to make something of his life. 

10 hours ago, One percent said:

What struck me was how long ago this alleged bad teaching was. Surely if he was clever enough to get a first from Oxford that he was cheated out of, surely he would be clever enough to make something of his life. 

It reads like a first was his dream and when he didn't get it his worldview collapsed and he's had seventeen years of brooding upon "What if?" with his magic dream to make everything all right again like in a Disney film being to get a court to wave its magic wand and tell him of course he really got a first and here's all the money that you would have had if you did.

I would suggest that some kind of psychiatric observation be undertaken as in his mind his life is now irreparably ruined.

For me it echoed this story: man in Thailand whose dream had been winning the Thai lottery wins the top prize of £1m but then loses the tickets and in Thailand that means no claims.  Shoots himself dead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5364309/Lottery-winner-kills-losing-winning-ticket.html

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By swiss_democracy_for_all
      What for you constitutes being British? Other than having the passport, I mean......
      For me, it's a person born in the UK or who came to the UK very young and :-
      a) went through the UK education system and
      b) was encouraged by their parents or had their own strong wish to integrate (some people integrate more despite their parents being against this).
      Edit :- So I will definitely never be Swiss, despite perhaps being able to have the passport soon. But in my mind, my daughter will be.  In the mind of Swiss people, maybe, just maybe, her grandchildren might be considered Swiss!

• By man o' the year
      I heard the other day (was it on here?) of the frustrated parent who had to endure prize giving where every child was presented with a medal BEFORE the school ran its sports day.
      Today I received my youngest's (year 9) progress review. All fine but the accompanying email has:
      "As you may be aware, the government has indicated that it would like schools to move towards assessing and reporting pupil progress without the use of levels.  At our school, we have taken the decision to carry on reporting levels of attainment for Year 9 in order to show the progress that pupils have made from Key Stage 2 and to ensure consistency for parents in understanding the progress their child is making. "
      So no more levels. Presumably we are moving to fluffy flowery descriptions where nobody understands what is really happening, where the good kids are smoothed down, and the mediocre is celebrated. I recall my eldest coming home so proudly with her certificate in first year primary for "sitting nicely on the carpet."She soon learnt what we valued as she moved through her education. The schools consistently poor at setting targets to stretch her to the full of her ability. Our (as parents) 42 years teaching experience meant we were able to cut through the bullshit.
      Another indicator is the parent portal which shows my youngest (in the top few per cent in the year) with her merit score comapred to the average for her tutor group. Of course she has comapratively few as she doesn't need the motivation of merits to do her work. Others must be doing fantastically well, their parents must think with their hundred or so merits. So how much of a shock reality will be when their darlings hit any formal assessment. Then of course there is the real world of work awaiting them eventually.
      Seriously we have moved to a situation where kids go through school not comprehending their capabilities because eveything is a success.