• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

Why “Open Borders” is a Dangerous Idea

I was going to post this in the thread about "Cheddar Man" but I thought it such a good article that it deserved its own thread.

Why “Open Borders” is a Dangerous Idea
written by George Gallatin

It is my fear that the primary near-term effect will be surging tribalism. Unlimited mass migration could cripple liberal Western powers with perpetual ethnic tension, and halt their ability to effectively act on the world stage. This could cede the century to more unified authoritarian powers such as Russia and China who have drastically different value systems and views of human dignity.

The open borders philosophy is wrong, because, like the failed ideologies of the past century, it doesn’t account for unpleasant facts about human nature and society. The truth Communism missed is that human beings prefer self-interest to compelled altruism. The truth open borders advocates miss is that human societies are tribal.

.. their Twitter channel, some interesting stuff here:
https://twitter.com/QuilletteM

Thanks.  That was interesting.

Like with many things, the 'system' seems to think the right approach is to decide something, then force behaviours to fit in with their decision -- with legal force used to police their mandate.  It would appear to be more sensible to understand how humans behave, then adopt decisions that are supported by that behaviour -- but that approach is pretty much never taken.