• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Guide horse

Technically should be on the islam thread.... but worthy of a rant at the gormless expense of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/blind-man-with-fear-of-dogs-given-the-uks-first-guide-horse/ar-BBIM9JE?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

And rare genetic condition is connected to cousin marriage....

http://zeenews.india.com/health/marriage-between-first-cousins-increases-risk-of-passing-genetic-disorders-study-1934560

Only rare when youre not inbreeding.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Technically should be on the islam thread.... but worthy of a rant at the gormless expense of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/blind-man-with-fear-of-dogs-given-the-uks-first-guide-horse/ar-BBIM9JE?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

And rare genetic condition is connected to cousin marriage....

http://zeenews.india.com/health/marriage-between-first-cousins-increases-risk-of-passing-genetic-disorders-study-1934560

Only rare when youre not inbreeding.

Not been funny but if he is blind, how the hell does he know whether it’s a miniature horse of a dog? 

So, the horse lives 2 hours away.

Guide horses need to be kept outside -- where is actually going to be kept?

Guide horses need more upkeep than dogs -- who is going to do the caring?

I suppose I'm broadly supportive of the concept, but I can't help thinking that it's all a horsey-person's view of a great idea and that it would be far easier and better if he just got given some sessions in controlling his cynophobia.

Just now, dgul said:

So, the horse lives 2 hours away.

Guide horses need to be kept outside -- where is actually going to be kept?

Guide horses need more upkeep than dogs -- who is going to do the caring?

I suppose I'm broadly supportive of the concept, but I can't help thinking that it's all a horsey-person's view of a great idea and that it would be far easier and better if he just got given some sessions in controlling his cynophobia.

The answer to all these questions and others youve not thought of is Tax payers money.

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Not been funny but if he is blind, how the hell does he know whether it’s a miniature horse of a dog? 

Very good insight and question IMO....onepercent.

If you’ve been unfortunate in life and have gone blind surely you’d be grateful for any assistance?

That story makes my blood boil. I have a blind acquaintance who spent over six months curtailed in day to day activities when the beloved guide dog died. Thankfully the person now has a new guidedog friend and is working along with his dog friend to getting out and about locally and fully again. For the person I know getting about fully means getting on trains/buses and visiting other towns/cities.

How is the whingeing twat wanting a horse going to get about fully? 

IMO if you don’t want a guide dog because you ‘don’t like dogs” you can fuck off.

Sadly, I’ve been a supporter of guide dogs for blind people but if a certain section of our society are demanding funding for horse coz they don’t like dogs ......well I won’t be donating. Another charity off the list!

6 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

If you’ve been unfortunate in life and have gone blind surely you’d be grateful for any assistance?

That story makes my blood boil. I have a blind acquaintance who spent over six months curtailed in day to day activities when the beloved guide dog died. Thankfully the person now has a new guidedog friend and is working along with his dog friend to getting out and about locally and fully again. For the person I know getting about fully means getting on trains/buses and visiting other towns/cities.

IMO if you don’t want a guide dog because you ‘don’t like dogs” you can fuck off.

Sadly, I’ve been a supporter of guide dogs for blind people but if a certain section of our society are demanding funding for horse coz they don’t like dogs ......well I won’t be donating. Another charity off the list!

Presumably this miniature horse thing is nothing to do with Guide Dogs for the Blind. I guess that the charity can't be blamed if people don't want their dogs.

11 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Bugger out of reps 👍

this sense of entitlement really pisses me off. Yes, sad that you have lost your sight but, lucky if you get a fully trained guide dog to help you integrate into society. 

Anyhow, anyone who doesn’t like dogs is a completely untrustworthy person imho. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bugger off. Dogs are clean. They will never use inside as a toilet. A horse will. 

I've got a 9 month old female cav on heat who humps my partner while holding a monkey in it's mouth, I would say that's dirty. 

I mean't in certain cultures dogs are seen as unclean

Edited by ashestoashes

4 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Presumably this miniature horse thing is nothing to do with Guide Dogs for the Blind. I guess that the charity can't be blamed if people don't want their dogs.

I don’t know if guide dogs for the blind are involved in this errrr...diversion? My post was a rant. If I find out that guide dogs for the blind are supportive of horses for the blind I won’t give them a penny more.

I have nothing against horses. IMO and experience guide dogs are the most suitable animal to utilise for assistance to blind people. Dogs have been fabulous assistance to blind people for many years with no whingeing about them.

Horses may well be great assistance but they are costly. Might sound harsh but IMO if you are unlucky in life and go blind then I’m more than happy to contribute to guide dogs for you. If you want a more costly horse assistant then fuck off from claiming public assistance. Pay up yourself if that’s what you want.

Just now, ashestoashes said:

true, but this is a cavalier king charles

Ah.  My lab has never done anything like that, too busy searching out food. xD

she is so good, when we left her in on her own for a few hours, she went for a wee in the corner of the downstairs loo which if fully tiled. 

I guess she thought, I’ve seen the humans go in there, I’m desperate so I suppose it’s ok. Lovely dog she is 

Just now, Economic Exile said:

I don’t know if guide dogs for the blind are involved in this errrr...diversion? My post was a rant. If I find out that guide dogs for the blind are supportive of horses for the blind I won’t give them a penny more.

I have nothing against horses. IMO and experience guide dogs are the most suitable animal to utilise for assistance to blind people. Dogs have been fabulous assistance to blind people for many years with no whingeing about them.

Horses may well be great assistance but they are costly. Might sound harsh but IMO if you are unlucky in life and go blind then I’m more than happy to contribute to guide dogs for you. If you want a more costly horse assistant then fuck off from claiming public assistance. Pay up yourself if that’s what you want.

I think you are right about horses. It's a gimmick and a horse, however small, will be more expensive than a dog. I'd doubt if guide dogs for the blind would be involed with such a daft exercise, at least I'd hope not.

5 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

I've got a 9 month old female cav on heat who humps my partner while holding a monkey in it's mouth, I would say that's dirty. 

Well, a bit kinky perhaps, but it takes all sorts...

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Bugger out of reps 👍

this sense of entitlement really pisses me off. Yes, sad that you have lost your sight but, lucky if you get a fully trained guide dog to help you integrate into society. 

Anyhow, anyone who doesn’t like dogs is a completely untrustworthy person imho. 

Another “drawn to” a person statement there, the last sentence. If you don’t like dogs you’re suspect. IMO, domestic animals or animals in general. IMO people who don’t like animals, flowers or even the reality of changing seasons are best avoided.

Hands up from me and understanding for cat “haters”. I was adopted and used by one for eighteen years. I was too good too it :) .

That cat often enraged me but overall I admired its ability to get what it wanted. I did really admire it. Beautiful creature who perhaps latched onto a soft person but it lived the life of riley getting exactly what it wanted until euthanised at age eighteen after a two or three week illness.

Of course cats are useless for guiding the unfortunate people who have gone blind.

Dogs have sufficed for many years. My acquaintance is profoundly grateful with the norm. Not a whingeing twat at all. Paid loads in tax over the years as a profitable business person. Comfortable but not rich. 

IMO, if you desire a “guide horse” ......pay for it your self! Dogs do a great job from what I hear. Horses aren’t so accessible to buses trains high streets shops etc

So, about 1 second of investigation found this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/may/24/alisonbenjamin and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/2954170.stm

So, in 2003 there were guide horses being trained in the UK.  How come this guy is first now?  Is it because he is both BBC and special?

And, what happened to Rosie?  Given the enthusiasm in the piece it would seem sensible to do a review of how this sort of thing has gone before.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but it does sound exactly like an overenthusiastic horsey person thinking that ponies can do anything.