• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
longtomsilver

Sports Equipment Purchase

Recommended Posts

I was holding off getting a new glider until next year but an unused one has appeared on a forum that’s half the original price. £2,300 very tempting. Seller is in Bosnia and it’s the exact model/size I want. Obviously sending cash is throwing caution to the wind... how can I make the payment using my credit card for some protection. Does PayPal allow this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I was holding off getting a new glider until next year but an unused one has appeared on a forum that’s half the original price. £2,300 very tempting. Seller is in Bosnia and it’s the exact model/size I want. Obviously sending cash is throwing caution to the wind... how can I make the payment using my credit card for some protection. Does PayPal allow this? 

 

What? He would then stick it in the post and send it to you?

Not sure what the credit card protection is for buying overseas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

What? He would then stick it in the post and send it to you?

Not sure what the credit card protection is for buying overseas.

Exactly. It’s a trust thing obviously but a fairly small community of flyers so he’s not faking his participation. He rides a very, very expensive motorcycle too (social media stalking) so could probably afford to take the hit. For an unused not even out the bag glider it’s a bargain.

Edited by longtomsilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Exactly. It’s a trust thing obviously but a fairly small community of flyers so he’s not faking his participation. He rides a very, very expensive motorcycle too (social media stalking) so could probably afford to take the hit. For an unused not even out the bag glider it’s a bargain.

I'd be tempted to collect in person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paypal will cover you  just like if you were buying using PP in this country.

The fees are quite heavy though and the sender will need to send with a tracked courier (for his protection more than yours). 

Not sure how much these things pack down but it doesn't sound too hard a transaction if he'll do PP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, longtomsilver said:

...He rides a very, very expensive motorcycle too (social media stalking) so could probably afford to take the hit...

Unless he funds his expensive lifestyle by selling gliders to gullible foreigners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Can't see an issue then. PP disputes normally come down on the side of the buyer if anythings wrong anyway :) Whats the status of Bosnia in terms of import taxes etc?

He’s telling me he’ll mark it’s value as €18 is that likely to flag? No problems to Spain and Ireland before apparently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

He’s telling me he’ll mark it’s value as €18 is that likely to flag? No problems to Spain and Ireland before apparently 

Yeah great idea, when it gets damaged in transit you can claim your £18 back off the post office :) 

I'm assuming it's a reasonably large bit of kit and so I'd say it's more likely to get checked, if not in detail they will be looking at the customs declaration forms and the value. 

Import fees suck, but my personal experience of importing many items in the £1000+ range is it really isn't worth the risk. If it's £100 by all means say it's worth less. 

Edited by gilf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for all their input. For reasons stated here I’ve been put off the purchase. There’s just too many layers of risk. Plus I’m right at the top of the weight range and actually a few kg over all up so outside the certifiable range. I might still wait until next year now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

Thank you everyone for all their input. For reasons stated here I’ve been put off the purchase. There’s just too many layers of risk. Plus I’m right at the top of the weight range and actually a few kg over all up so outside the certifiable range. I might still wait until next year now. 

Weight limits- pah, it will be fine. 

I'm nipping over to Bosnia next week so you can send me the £2300 and I'll bring it back for you.

My bank details are :

sort code 80-43-34

account number 83312942

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I found an image of it. Looks good.

hqdefault.jpg

That was very nearly me earlier this week. On top of a hill on the Shropshire/Powys border and decided rather late in the day to cut my losses and head home and pick up the children before they went into after school (saving me £42) and instead of walking down I opted to fly and land by the car saving vital minutes... this was of course parked behind the hill and the mixed air caused my glider to go parachutal and I dropped either side of trees on a narrow track in a large muddy puddle. It’s sitting back on trim anyway, five years old and time to change. I still didn’t make it home in time (traffic).

Edited by longtomsilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

That was very nearly me earlier this week. On top of a hill on the Shropshire/Powys border and decided rather late in the day to cut my losses and head home and pick up the children before they went into after school (saving me £42) and instead of walking down I opted to fly and land by the car saving vital minutes... this was of course parked behind the hill and the mixed air caused my glider to go parachutal and I dropped either side of trees on a narrow track in a large muddy puddle. It’s sitting back on trim anyway, five years old and time to change.

Cross-threading ideas with another of yours in stealth - can't you get your wife to try this out? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Cross-threading ideas with another of yours in stealth - can't you get your wife to try this out? :)

I can no longer get onto the stealth forum so my privileges have been removed. I’ll have to get onto the moderators Spunko2010 😠🤯

MrsLTS tried many years ago and was more concerned with her makeup and hair so arrived as all the others were packing up. Managed a couple of slope flights.

7 minutes ago, 201p said:

Just be careful OK. One of the local millionaires died in a helicopter recently. He was only 61.

The (potential) new glider has a lower aspect ratio than the one I currently fly so is safer while benefiting from slightly improved performance. I stopped flying heli for that reason... doing the minimum hours made me quite a rusty pilot and it wasn’t safe for me to continue in my humble opinion.

Edited by longtomsilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, longtomsilver said:

I can no longer get onto the stealth forum so my privileges have been removed. I’ll have to get onto the moderators Spunko2010 😠🤯

MrsLTS tried many years ago and was more concerned with her makeup and hair so arrived as all the others were packing up. Managed a couple of slope flights.

The (potential) new glider has a lower aspect ratio than the one I currently fly so is safer while benefiting from slightly improved performance. I stopped flying heli for that reason... doing the minimum hours made me quite a rusty pilot and it wasn’t safe for me to continue in my humble opinion.

I think you only need 2 more posts to regain your privileges.

In your place I'd drive over to Bosnia and collect it myself. You could make a holiday of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.