• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

https://www.ucu.org.uk/14-strike-dates

Strikes will begin on Thursday 22 February 

UCU has written to the 61 universities* to inform them of an escalating wave of strikes over a four-week period that will begin with a five-day walkout either side of a weekend. There will then be four days of strikes from Monday 5 - Thursday 8 March and a full five-day walkout the following week (12 - 16 March). The strike dates are:

Week one - Thursday 22 and Friday 23 February (two days)

Week two - Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February (three days)

Week three - Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March (four days)

Week four - Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (five days)

More time to post on dosbods 

Excellent.

Lecturers' pay and terms has been in steady decline for forty years whilst universities get richer and richer.

Time to remind the vice chancellors and administrators of the purpose and basis of a seat of learning and just who makes it such.

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve not had a pay rise since 2008, other than the odd one percent. 

Pits why I don’t work anymore. I turn up, they pay me,but I do as little as I can possibly get away with. 

Feck ‘em 

:D

I know some senior managers in RBS; absolutely no rise since 2008.

Mind it does show how well they were doing in 2008 as none of them have left.

9 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve not had a pay rise since 2008, other than the odd one percent. 

Pits why I don’t work anymore. I turn up, they pay me,but I do as little as I can possibly get away with. 

Feck ‘em 

Which is why I left as I didn't want to live like that.

The pension wasn't worth waiting for as I thought I could die before I get it, salary was crap for the hassle, the hassle was unenjoyable and most of the staff were miserable.

Now freelance, just as productive

Edited by Hopeful

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

:D

I know some senior managers in RBS; absolutely no rise since 2008.

Mind it does show how well they were doing in 2008 as none of them have left.

I’m not doing well but, despite what is reported, a massive shrinkage of student numbers. Maybe not undergrad but mature, post grad and professional courses, the numbers have fallen off a cliff. 

I would rather poke my eyes out with a blunt stick than teach undergrads. 

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Which is why I left as I didn't want to live like that. Pension wasn't worth waiting for as i could die before I get it, salary was crap for the hassle, the hassle was unenjoyable and most of the staff were miserable.

No chance of freelance in my field unfortunately. Students are ok apart from the complete bonkers ones. I had death threats last year from one. 

Most are brilliant though. 

Just now, One percent said:

No chance of freelance in my field unfortunately. Students are ok apart from the complete bonkers ones. I had death threats last year from one. 

Most are brilliant though. 

Are you sure? I'm the only person in the world freelance in my field.

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Yes I know someone well who works for a uni - his wage has stayed static and if they also destroy the pensions he fears he may have to seek employment elsewhere.

Doing what though joe?  I’m open to suggestions. Pushing trollies round supermarket car parks is beginning to look like a good career move 

Just now, Hopeful said:

Are you sure? I'm the only person in the world freelance in my field.

Educashun. Who the fuck is going to pay for that?  

Doing what though joe?  I’m open to suggestions. Pushing trollies round supermarket car parks is beginning to look like a good career move 

I'm not suggesting it but the (excellent) head of finance at one company, in charge of 50 staff, got pushed out by the new owners and he did that.  He was absolutely loaded but he liked the routine, being outdoors, and could concentrate on his main interest of being on the local council.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Educashun. Who the fuck is going to pay for that?  

You train teachers ? PGCE ?

Is there no call for that freelance

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not suggesting it but the (excellent) head of finance at one company, in charge of 50 staff, got pushed out by the new owners and he did that.  He was absolutely loaded but he liked the routine, being outdoors, and could concentrate on his main interest of being on the local council.

And you get to talk to people. It is seriously on my mind to just give it up 

Just now, Hopeful said:

You train teachers ? PGCE ?

Is there no call for that freelance

Correct and no, unless you want to get in bed with useless money grabbers. I’ve been approached a couple of times but by people who I would not trust on first meeting. 

45 minutes ago, One percent said:

And you get to talk to people. It is seriously on my mind to just give it up 

Correct and no, unless you want to get in bed with useless money grabbers. I’ve been approached a couple of times but by people who I would not trust on first meeting. 

That's wroking for someone else again though, isn't it?

56 minutes ago, One percent said:

He is a fellow programmer. So theoretically could work in the real world.

The uni seems to be an interesting dichotomy of those getting paid loads to do fuck all who would never make it in the real world (not referring to academics, more some of the support staff), and those who are very stressed out and really seem to earn their money - I hear lots of stories of people going off on long term stress leave. There seems to be more politics and backstabbing than even the average corporation, and a healthy helping of folk with serious personality....issues...that can make everyone's life around the miserable. 

The sad thing for those involved in teaching, as I guess you are, is that if the uni's collectively decide to screw all the academics over they will then have to change career as the uni's kind of have a monopoly on their employment, if that makes sense. At least you're not 30 and starting your career - I think many of those who have devoted their lives to academia but still have 30+ years of employment left are fucked.

Edited by JoeDavola

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

That's wroking for someone else again though, isn't it?

Yep.  Go one then.. career advice would be appreciated 

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The uni seems to be an interesting dichotomy of those getting paid loads to do fuck all who would never make it in the real world, and those who are very stressed out and really seem to earn their money. There seems to be more politics and backstabbing than even the average corporation. 

The sad thing for those involved in teaching, as I guess you are, is that if the uni's collectively decide to screw all the academics over they will then have to change career as the uni's kind of have a monopoly on their employment, if that makes sense. At least you're not 30 and starting your career - I think many of those who have devoted their lives to academia but still have 30+ years of employment left are fucked.

Agree. My youngest was offered a PhD when she finished her degree. I had a straight talk with her....

Yep.  Go one then.. career advice would be appreciated 

What I did was look at what I liked doing which is scientific research and then looked at how I could make that wanted as a freelance. It took 3 years planning and then 3 years to build up an income. I'm fortunate in that while there are many in my discipline, I'm not too bad :-) People in my discipline would say that it is impossible to go freelance.

OK, I don't earn as much as I did in the Uiversity sector, but all my time is my own and I just see it as I having gained back the element of pointless I time spent at work, and I'd sooner have that back for me than be paid to give it to 'them'.

I don't know what you do, but if it's needed in the University sector, I'd have thought your skills will earn you an income outside. Could you do teacher improvemnet courses for example, get a name for yourself lecturing and be paid to give talks Ken Robinson style ? t won't be immediate success, but there might be a freelance way of life. I dunno.

14 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree. My youngest was offered a PhD when she finished her degree. I had a straight talk with her....

Wise choice.

I know a couple of women in their late 30's who have worked all their life in academia, degree to masters to PhD....never really had a full time secure job and now nearly 40. And they're still on short term jobs. A year here, a few months there... Perhaps it's the sacrifice for 'doing what you love' but it does seem like a mugs game and that they were perhaps sold a lie.

Edited by JoeDavola

3 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

What I did was look at what I liked doing which is scientific research and then looked at how I could make that wanted as a freelance. It took 3 years planning and then 3 years to build up an income. I'm fortunate in that while there are many in my discipline, I'm not too bad :-) People in my discipline would say that it is impossible to go freelance.

OK, I don't earn as much as I did in the Uiversity sector, but all my time is my own and I just see it as I having gained back the element of pointless I time spent at work, and I'd sooner have that back for me than be paid to give it to 'them'.

I don't know what you do, but if it's needed in the University sector, I'd have thought your skills will earn you an income outside. Could you do teacher improvemnet courses for example, get a name for yourself lecturing and be paid to give talks Ken Robinson style ? t won't be immediate success, but there might be a freelance way of life. I dunno.

Charismatic style over substance. I’ve come across a couple of people who have gone this route. Both men and akin to snake oil salesmen. It ain’t my thing.....  

now teacher improvement in small groups or one to one I could do.  But educational establishments don’t have that kind of money. Seen a lot of good people go and not be able to afford to live after.

im ok though, doing my little as possible. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

https://www.ucu.org.uk/14-strike-dates

Strikes will begin on Thursday 22 February 

UCU has written to the 61 universities* to inform them of an escalating wave of strikes over a four-week period that will begin with a five-day walkout either side of a weekend. There will then be four days of strikes from Monday 5 - Thursday 8 March and a full five-day walkout the following week (12 - 16 March). The strike dates are:

Week one - Thursday 22 and Friday 23 February (two days)

Week two - Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February (three days)

Week three - Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March (four days)

Week four - Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (five days)

More time to post on dosbods 

Mi lud,

My client pays 9k year for her University education.

The strikes prevented the Uni from delivering her goods.

As the degree us 3 years, ny client needs to refurb 3 years tution, living costs and loss of opportunity. I present my bill for 150k plus interest.

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

Which is why I left as I didn't want to live like that.

The pension wasn't worth waiting for as I thought I could die before I get it, salary was crap for the hassle, the hassle was unenjoyable and most of the staff were miserable.

Something needs to change.

We should have research insititutions like Germany.

Im think we should break degrees up.

Say 2 year HND, then 2 year more for Bsc..

HND could be started after AS level. Done while at home.

Bsc years at Uni.

23 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The uni seems to be an interesting dichotomy of those getting paid loads to do fuck all who would never make it in the real world (not referring to academics, more some of the support staff), and those who are very stressed out and really seem to earn their money - I hear lots of stories of people going off on long term stress leave. There seems to be more politics and backstabbing than even the average corporation, and a healthy helping of folk with serious personality....issues...that can make everyone's life around the miserable. 

Academia is wierd.

For supposed snart people, its staffed by dumb fuckers.

Should enfirce a strict 5-10 gap between grafuating and returning to teach or phd.

That way youd stop all the useless non vocational junk.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Mi lud,

My client pays 9k year for her University education.

The strikes prevented the Uni from delivering her goods.

As the degree us 3 years, ny client needs to refurb 3 years tution, living costs and loss of opportunity. I present my bill for 150k plus interest.

Ain’t my problem, go see the VC who is probably on 250k a year. 

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Academia is wierd.

For supposed snart people, its staffed by dumb fuckers.

Should enfirce a strict 5-10 gap between grafuating and returning to teach or phd.

That way youd stop all the useless non vocational junk.

Hey! Who you calling a bumb fucker! 

Ain’t my problem, go see the VC who is probably on 250k a year. 

Thats it.

Buck stops with VC.

People bid fir cobtract. Not my problem if they have personnell problems. They deliver of get sued.