• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Cod loin?

37 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just watching the telly. A Sainsbury advert for cod loin. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is?  

A fillet of a fish is basically the length of the fish from the head to the tail on one side - hence most fish can give you two fillets.

However, a fillet of a medium to large sized fish is usually too large for one person so the fillet is cut up into usually 3 pieces - the cutlet nearest the head, the tail at the end obviousy and, in the middle, the loin which is made from the fattest / thickest part of the fillet.

I refuse to get drawn into a 20 page discussion about fish portions.

O.o

3 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

A fillet of a fish is basically the length of the fish from the head to the tail on one side - hence most fish can give you two fillets.

However, a fillet of a medium to large sized fish is usually too large for one person so the fillet is cut up into usually 3 pieces - the cutlet nearest the head, the tail at the end obviousy and, in the middle, the loin which is made from the fattest / thickest part of the fillet.

O.o

Ta. Coming from a fishing port, it was a new term to me. Being the cynic that I am... 

1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

Fillet = cut from head to tail both sides leaving the bone /carcus 

Cutlet = cut from top of the back through the back bone 

👍

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The buttons on your new headphones are made from a mixture of cockle-shells and marinated shrimp.

They look suspiciously like sea shells 

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

O.o

Too late. 

2 hours ago, One percent said:

Just watching the telly. A Sainsbury advert for cod loin. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this is?  

Split the fish in half along the backbone from head to tail to give two sides

The loin is the thick meaty dorsal or back part from one side of the fish less the ventral belly, it will be taken from the head to about 2/3rds the length of the body. You only get a good loin from a larger fish. The thinner tail section will be a fillet. You just get fillets from smaller fish.

Edited by Hopeful

Just now, Hopeful said:

Split the fish in half along the backbone head to tail

The loin is the dorsal or back part from one side of the fish less the ventral belly, it will be taken from the head to about 2/3rds the length of the body. You only get a good loin from a larger fish. The thinner tail section will be a fillet. You just get fillets from smaller fish.

Ta, always thought that anything cut away from the bones was a fillet. 

Just now, Economic Exile said:

@Hopeful. I love herring in oatmeal. I buy it from a local fish man when it’s in season from May to about August.

In Morrisons today I bought fresh herring. Do you know why they can get it “out of season”. Purchasing power?

Much better smoked into a herring. 

Herring fleet leaving whitby harbour. Think 50s or 60s. They followed the herrings from Scotland, all the way down the coast. 

31EC3839-1A3F-4AF3-B748-AF85F55EAFC9.jpeg

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

@Hopeful. I love herring in oatmeal. I buy it from a local fish man when it’s in season from May to about August.

In Morrisons today I bought fresh herring. Do you know why they can get it “out of season”. Purchasing power?

Herring are in low abundance off Scotland this time of year so your local markets won't have them and your chap might not think it worthwhile sourcing them from further afield as he won't shift the quantity he'd have to buy. Morrisons will buy from further afield because they have a bigger distribution.

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Much better smoked into a herring. 

Herring fleet leaving whitby harbour. Think 50s or 60s. They followed the herrings from Scotland, all the way down the coast. 

31EC3839-1A3F-4AF3-B748-AF85F55EAFC9.jpeg

Now that’s a lovely pic! Days gone by. 

I eat two proper smoked kippers per week. Lovely! Pricey but worth it.

People in the highlands of Scotland lived off fresh or salted herrings, lamb, tatties and neeps supplemented with carrots, kale cabbage and anything else they could rear or grow for years.

Its very interesting visiting highland Scottish cemeteries. I’ve only looked in coastal ones but I found it very striking reading the inscriptions on the headstones. Mainly long livers according to cemetery info. Of course perhaps those who starved or died young had no headstone so I don’t know if long life was a normality.

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Now that’s a lovely pic! Days gone by. 

I eat two proper smoked kippers per week. Lovely! Pricey but worth it.

People in the highlands of Scotland lived off fresh or salted herrings, lamb, tatties and neeps supplemented with carrots, kale cabbage and anything else they could rear or grow for years.

Its very interesting visiting highland Scottish cemeteries. I’ve only looked in coastal ones but I found it very striking reading the inscriptions on the headstones. Mainly long livers according to cemetery info. Of course perhaps those who starved or died young had no headstone so I don’t know if long life was a normality.

What happened to the price of kippers?  They used to be cheap as chips. Now they are 4.50 a pair. O.o

Yes, what used to be a cheap staple is now a luxury food! I’m prepared to pay for the oil from them and the taste.

As Hopeful’s post says herring etc is now depleted. The day will come IMO when they are depleted even more and unaffordable to me :(

I despair at times about the state of world affairs.

As I understand it,  it’s the top of the fillet (the part which runs above the backbone).  So essentially if you cut a fillet along it’s length,  the loin would be the “top” strip. 

I think it’s a relatively new term (probably why you’ve never heard of it)..  the “standard” cuts are:

tuna-cross-section_big1.jpg