• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
man o' the year

You can't go home to die - it's the weekend!

An eventful day with my 94 year old mother who seemed on her last legs so this morning rang 111 for advice regarding what to do in terms of keeping her comfortable. Needless to say we were put in the machine and spat out. This started with the usual questions from 111 which I guess they had to go through but it produced the result their end where she was certain Mum was having a stroke and sent an ambulance.

Of course the ambulance persons knew it was not a stroke but said she needed to be admitted to hospital for tests that they otherwise couldn't do. This was really nothing more than emotional blackmail and the number of times by this time that I had asked whether it was really necessary was already beyond count.

Anyway next to hospital where a very sensible doctor agreed her systems were gradually shutting down and we discussed the options. I said I wanted her home and he said he would try to arrange it. Returned to say he could not arrange the package required as it was the weekend and consequently duty district nurses were being difficult requiring for a example a hospital bed at home before they would allow her home and so many other stipulations so the doctor was going to arrange admission. I asked what if we just take her home? I said I would ring my wife and we would take her home in the car. He returned after a while and said he had arranged transport emphasizing that although we had made that decision which he agreed was in Mum's best interest and he could not arrange any support package we should not hesitate to call for help if she became distressed.

So eventually transport arrives and we are back home. The stress of journeys to and from hospital and not having the care we would have been able to provide if we had her at home have taken their toll but nevertheless Mum has rallied somewhat and is certainly happier and safer now at home.

So I am relieved that a doctor had the common sense to enable this to happen despite the system and others involved clearly saying no.

10 hours ago, man o' the year said:

An eventful day with my 94 year old mother who seemed on her last legs so this morning rang 111 for advice regarding what to do in terms of keeping her comfortable. Needless to say we were put in the machine and spat out. This started with the usual questions from 111 which I guess they had to go through but it produced the result their end where she was certain Mum was having a stroke and sent an ambulance.

Of course the ambulance persons knew it was not a stroke but said she needed to be admitted to hospital for tests that they otherwise couldn't do. This was really nothing more than emotional blackmail and the number of times by this time that I had asked whether it was really necessary was already beyond count.

Anyway next to hospital where a very sensible doctor agreed her systems were gradually shutting down and we discussed the options. I said I wanted her home and he said he would try to arrange it. Returned to say he could not arrange the package required as it was the weekend and consequently duty district nurses were being difficult requiring for a example a hospital bed at home before they would allow her home and so many other stipulations so the doctor was going to arrange admission. I asked what if we just take her home? I said I would ring my wife and we would take her home in the car. He returned after a while and said he had arranged transport emphasizing that although we had made that decision which he agreed was in Mum's best interest and he could not arrange any support package we should not hesitate to call for help if she became distressed.

So eventually transport arrives and we are back home. The stress of journeys to and from hospital and not having the care we would have been able to provide if we had her at home have taken their toll but nevertheless Mum has rallied somewhat and is certainly happier and safer now at home.

So I am relieved that a doctor had the common sense to enable this to happen despite the system and others involved clearly saying no.

Yep.

I think you're finding out why so much is spent in the last couple of years life.

And how pointless all the spending is. You cannot cure dying.

The NHS is dire with OAPs.
They've had so much trouble they have these rigid processes, which require the NHS, GP and social services all syncing up. Of course, when you try to sync up all 3, its fucking impossible.

Then, all that happens, is the proces is discarded.

We wrnt thru this with a relative. In hospital under blue lights (lamost) monitored for 2 days then had to be released.

Person had the meds, were stable/walking. OK, can we leave. Oh no, they have to see the registrar and ward GP, hang around. Nothing happens. Go home, come back. hang around, nothing happens.

At this point, they were stacking up sick people as all the wards were full. Hardly surprising when someone who is trying to sign out cannot sign out.

Id guess there a good few on the are in similar position, going by the number of other families with bags, hanging around.

Gets to around tea time on Saturday. Nurses comes in says 'Oh you should not be here. Picks forms up, signs them' We go.

The NHS create4s these useless fucking processes that are just not practical. They then do not focus on the important thing - freeing up beds ASAP.

They had one set of forms. The questions were all written for a 80 YO.

Totally shit.