• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink

Oh, we didn’t see this coming....ffs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-42982959

number 9 on the list 

all the cities in the world, London is not the first that springs to mind when one thinks of water shortages. 

The reality is very different. With an average annual rainfall of about 600mm (less than the Paris average and only about half that of New York), London draws 80% of its water from rivers (the Thames and Lee).

According to the Greater London Authority, the city is pushing close to capacity and is likely to have supply problems by 2025 and "serious shortages" by 2040.

It looks likely that hosepipe bans could become more common in the future.

i mentioned on a thread the other week about how low the water pressure is in London. It isn’t rocket science that it will run out and I would bet, way before the dates given in the article. 

So, what does the establishment do to rectify this?  Allow unfettered immigration so as to speed it all up.

idiots. 

4 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Since at least 25% of London's Water is lost in leaks etc the evidence seems to suggest this is another example of a failed privatised utility where the supplier gouges profits by running existing infrastructure flat out while neglecting to carry out any capital investment for the future.

There is a road near me that seems to spring a leak on a weekly basis. Not in the same place but different spots running the length of the road for maybe 50/100 yards. 

What do they do?  They come along, dig a hole, patch the pipe.  Rinse and repeat for a couple of years. 

Any sensible company would see that there is clearly a problem and replace the whole run. 

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

I know... stop cramming people in? Stop at a level the resources can sustain maybe?

Racist !!

I often think the water companies should send out free plumbers to fix leaking taps in houses. If you've got a leaking tap and put the plug in the basin it's amazing to see how much water you're wasting.

26 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

Since at least 25% of London's Water is lost in leaks etc the evidence seems to suggest this is another example of a failed privatised utility where the supplier gouges profits by running existing infrastructure flat out while neglecting to carry out any capital investment for the future.

Rejigging the contracts at renewal time to ensure adequate investment is made would solve this. But that assumes that the government and senior civil servants aren't friends of the directors/investors  of the private company concerned.

And not just water...think of all that sewage being produced everyday. How is it going to be coped with......?

Just dump it in sea like the old days I suppose.   Madness. 

Bangalore on the list too, unsurprisingly. I had to tag along on some marketing research there a couple of years ago, and it's unbelievable. The city has grown like smoke, from a quiet retirement location to a major high tech metropolis (as we all know), but most of the money they throw at it to improve roads and other infrastructure just vanishes. Water pollution was not very well controlled either: the nearby reservoir had twenty feet of industrial scum on top, and then caught fire. 

I visited one household which was at the low end, economically, and the mother was a lovely person: full of concern about her family, and coping with the fact that they live in two tiny rooms and only have running water two days a week. Another family was more wealthy, but the mother there (who lived with her mother) had "issues", as she had been forced to marry her uncle. If you want to live anywhere decent in the city, you're looking at the same prices as SE England.

I'm astonished how the vast majority manage to cope at all. It feels like an extreme "every man for himself" society (probably because all the public works money gets stolen through corruption), but I admire the people for avoiding the fate of the favelas in Brazil. I know that's faint praise, but the politicians in charge are doing their utmost to turn the city into a Trumpian s/h.

Edited by BurntBread
Grammar

14 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

And not just water...think of all that sewage being produced everyday. How is it going to be coped with......?

Just dump it in sea like the old days I suppose.   Madness. 

If we keep going the way we are, eventually the country will be so shit that they can just dump it in the streets and nobody will notice.

3 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

I'm no fan of the 'privatized' water companies, especially Thames Water, but it's not true to say that they're neglecting to carry out any investment; they're actually spending something like a billion quid on replacing old water mains:

https://corporate.thameswater.co.uk/About-us/Investing-in-our-network/Victorian-mains-replacement

I should know, I used to have to deal with the traffic fallout of the road closures when I was supervising buses. It seems to take them absolutely ages to get anything done, and there are still obvious water leaks bubbling out of the roads all over the place, but they're doing something.

My personal take on it is that it would have been a better use of tens of billions of quid to build a huge water pipe from the NW to London, rather than HS2. Most of the country has absolutely no shortage of water, there's just no national infrastructure for getting it to where it's needed.

3 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Rejigging the contracts at renewal time to ensure adequate investment is made would solve this. But that assumes that the government and senior civil servants aren't friends of the directors/investors  of the private company concerned.

Or are comoetent and understand the engineering challenges.

4 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'm no fan of the 'privatized' water companies, especially Thames Water, but it's not true to say that they're neglecting to carry out any investment; they're actually spending something like a billion quid on replacing old water mains:

https://corporate.thameswater.co.uk/About-us/Investing-in-our-network/Victorian-mains-replacement

I should know, I used to have to deal with the traffic fallout of the road closures when I was supervising buses. It seems to take them absolutely ages to get anything done, and there are still obvious water leaks bubbling out of the roads all over the place, but they're doing something.

My personal take on it is that it would have been a better use of tens of billions of quid to build a huge water pipe from the NW to London, rather than HS2. Most of the country has absolutely no shortage of water, there's just no national infrastructure for getting it to where it's needed.

There is.

Water is sloshed down the country, via rivers and canals

7 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Trump shit hole country ?

Yes. I was too prudish to spell it out explicitly. Indian politicians are corrupt as all hell, and I think this is responsible for turning Bangalore into the kind of shithole referred to by Trump.

3 minutes ago, Shaneyson said:

Rather a Fogertarian position by @BurntBread

Did President Trump make a shithole country during his 12 months in office?

Sorry. The dangers of not being plain-spoken: No, I don't think Trump has pushed America any closer to being a shithole; the opposite, in fact. However, he did make the term current, hence "Trumpian".

1 minute ago, BurntBread said:

Yes. I was too prudish to spell it out explicitly. Indian politicians are corrupt as all hell, and I think this is responsible for turning Bangalore into the kind of shithole referred to by Trump.

Sorry. The dangers of not being plain-spoken: No, I don't think Trump has pushed America any closer to being a shithole; the opposite, in fact. However, he did make the term current, hence "Trumpian".

Apologies, I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the word 'Trumpian' being used as a term of denegration by establishment mouthpiece Shelagh Fogerty. I agree with your point and had forgotten how Trump had used the term shithole countries to refer to shithole countries.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

There is.

Water is sloshed down the country, via rivers and canals

Oh really? Which river runs north to south the length of the country then?

Perhaps a viaduct linking the Trent via the Nene to the Lee might work better than a pipe, but the fact remains that there's no infrastructure scale way of getting the water that is plentiful in the rest of the country to the SE.