• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

French plan to bring back national service

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5385367/Macron-brings-national-service-20-years.html

Apparently it will build social cohesion. 

I see it as a recipe for disaster if they train and arm the wrong people. 

They will run just look at the employment figures for certain demographics if they are not willing to work they are not going to be queuing up for NS

Edit :: just read the headline ...seen to be doing something ...FFS 1 month

Edited by Long time lurking

4 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

They will run just look at the employment figures for certain demographics if they are not willing to work they are not going to be queuing up for NS

The whole point of it though is that it isn’t optional 

For the ropers much more than a month would make them sufficiently fit to be even more aggressive and obnoxious.  However for the normals it might help them to fight back against the increasing roper presence.

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

1 month equals litter picking or some other PC nonsense, they will not be within a mile of knives, guns or even training in unarmed combat.

Political bollocks.

The idea was this, basically some cheap labour to use for a month but the costs look horrific so the project is being scaled back to be later dropped I suspect.

3 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

1 month equals litter picking or some other PC nonsense, they will not be within a mile of knives, guns or even training in unarmed combat.

Political bollocks.

My thoughts exactly, there will be so many get-out clauses that hardly anyone will actually do anything. 

It will be of no benefit to anyone, but at least that means the Ropers won't get free terrorist training (like the IRA did when they volunteered for service in WW1).

12 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

It will be of no benefit to anyone, but at least that means the Ropers won't get free terrorist training (like the IRA did when they volunteered for service in WW1).

I’m not sure that up to 4 years in the trenches of the Western Front counts as ‘free’....

14 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

I’m not sure that up to 4 years in the trenches of the Western Front counts as ‘free’....

I was thinking that. So I checked. 

"The British registrar general recorded 27,405 deaths among those soldiers born in Ireland, a casualty rate of 14%, roughly in line with the rest of the British forces. "

So no, not very free.

31 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

I was thinking that. So I checked. 

"The British registrar general recorded 27,405 deaths among those soldiers born in Ireland, a casualty rate of 14%, roughly in line with the rest of the British forces. "

So no, not very free.

Conscription was not introduced in Ireland in the Great War so those soldiers would have all been volunteers.

1 hour ago, Virgil Caine said:

Conscription was not introduced in Ireland in the Great War so those soldiers would have all been volunteers.

Ireland had 2 militias (Irish & Ulster Volunteers respectively) which arose from the pre war home rule movement. At the outbreak of war, they enlisted in huge numbers. There was no requirement for conscription in Ireland.

20 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Ireland had 2 militias (Irish & Ulster Volunteers respectively) which arose from the pre war home rule movement. At the outbreak of war, they enlisted in huge numbers. There was no requirement for conscription in Ireland.

There were regular Irish regiments in the British Army as well made yuo of career soldiers.

BTW I was interested to find that in the Great War Catholic priests were conscripted directly into the ranks of the French Army as well as serving as chaplains. That included those in monasteries as well as parish clergy. No opt out for the religious there

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/255954-front-line-priests/

Edited by Virgil Caine