• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spunko

Foreign Aid poll

Foreign Aid poll  

88 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Foreign Aid should...

• Be stopped completely
    • Be reduced significantly
    • Be reduced slightly
    • Be kept about the same
    • Be increased slightly
    • Be increased significantly

1 minute ago, Hail the Tripod said:

If people want to give to charity they should. It is not for government to take money by force and then give it away.

Well.

UKGOV shold have approved charity schemes - with specific and transparent goals.

Say river blindness. Or, going back to what Oxfam was set up for, famine relief.

UKGOV sets and enforces strict financial transparency and reporting guidelines.

People can donate and UKGOV reimburse tax - giftaid it.

The charities dont need to be big, just as long as they are run according to the guidelines. -orphanage in Cambodia, that sort of thing.

This would level the field - each charity, big or small, can compete for money.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

Well.

UKGOV shold have approved charity schemes - with specific and transparent goals.

Say river blindness. Or, going back to what Oxfam was set up for, famine relief.

UKGOV sets and enforces strict financial transparency and reporting guidelines.

People can donate and UKGOV reimburse tax - giftaid it.

The charities dont need to be big, just as long as they are run according to the guidelines. -orphanage in Cambodia, that sort of thing.

This would level the field - each charity, big or small, can compete for money.

With strict value limits per person per annum, I guess that would be OK.

Financial transparency and clear reporting should be a minimum for registering as a charity in the first place.

6 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

With strict value limits per person per annum, I guess that would be OK.

Financial transparency and clear reporting should be a minimum for registering as a charity in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with charity.

It just seems to have massively gone wrong when you end up with Oxfam taking ~300m from UKGOV and spit roasting 14yo girls.

It's a no from me.

Disaster relief sure, but from the UK that's as far as it goes.

I might have bought the notion that it greases palms in trade deals and the like but I'm not hearing a great deal of countries clambering to do us fair and decent trade deals (not a favour, just a fair decent deal for both sides based on the massive good will we have shown) post Brexit so they can all fuck off. 

I've no doubt some of the money does get to source, but there is no doubt in the mix there are the Somali Girl Bands, Corrupt Officials and Governments with Space programs (Indian). Not seeing the benefit for us any longer. 

There are just too many countries not helping themselves or their own people, not sure why we should be taking up the slack. The UK rank right at the top for all criteria of funding, i.e overall total, by GDP and aid per capita. 

I'm for ditching it altogether. You'd think it was madness for someone who was racking up debt to be giving to charity so how does it make sense for a country to do it? I'm also of the opinion that overseas charity does a lot more harm than good.

14 minutes ago, This Time said:

I'm for ditching it altogether. You'd think it was madness for someone who was racking up debt to be giving to charity so how does it make sense for a country to do it? I'm also of the opinion that overseas charity does a lot more harm than good.

This shouldn't be true but often is. 

I'm  happy to support natural disasters but otherwise all aid should go into providing education for max 2 children in every family. That means working with the government to source local materials and build basic school buildings with plumbing and a kitchen to feed them. Train the teachers. Send our young out there as apprentices to learn and teach the skills required to give the population a chance to build their own future.

Other than immediate disaster relief the only way to help developing countries is to buy stuff they make , grow or mine 

Giving tax payers money to country's with nuclear weapons , space programs or masssively growing populations is criminal imho 

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

We should keep some aid as a bribe. If we ever have a govt with the balls they will need to bribe some African shithole to take a good proportion of our illegals. 

Someone said somewhere on here that we should buy a piece of Africa and just place them all there. Sounds like a plan to me. 

I am all for small Britain.

We are not the Worlds Police and should stop trying to be.

We are not the Worlds 'Daddy and Mummy' and should stop trying to be.

I am fed up to the back teeth with oh so sincere wet dreamers telling me on TV that I should be oh so concerned about  the conditions in Upper Bongo Land.

Nothing to do with me and my kind.

Give these poor people the priceless gift of their own adulthood.

Drastically reduced.

I would imagine the amount that actually reaches where it should is a fraction of a percentage of a pound with every corrupt, long fingered bastard taking their cut as it makes it's way to whatever bent shithole needs it.

Don't really know why we should be financing Bentleys for despots. 

9 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

A bit draconian but I opted for 'stopped completely' .

Is the UK still in a state of 'austerity' ?

This. We are all expected to forego pay increases whilst inflation is running rampant, yet we are able to give billions away in foreign aid. 

An old saying, but charity begins at home 

14 hours ago, One percent said:

This. We are all expected to forego pay increases whilst inflation is running rampant, yet we are able to give billions away in foreign aid. 

An old saying, but charity begins at home 

Another thought...

If the UK stopped foreign aid then it would let the rest of the world know that public funds need to be recalibrated. It might send a clear signal to immigrants not to try and enter. Unless they have a job to go to where there's a skills shortage.

Just now, UmBongo said:

I recall that the UK stopped giving aid to India. Correct decision given that Indian companies seem to be snapping up our own such as Jaguar Land Rover .

I thought upthread that someone said they were one of the largest receivers of aid?  Dunno, the whole thing is hardly transparent. 

IMPO the aid budget is a front for buying foreign influence. I'm not going to judge if that influence is significant to the general security and economy of the UK, but equally there is no point in denying that buying influence is how the world operates.

As for providing actual aid, I'm all for helping countries "learn to fish" rather than just giving them the fish, but I suspect only a tiny proportion of the aid budget is spent this way. 

Edited by snagger

15 hours ago, Byron said:

I am all for small Britain.

We are not the Worlds Police and should stop trying to be.

We are not the Worlds 'Daddy and Mummy' and should stop trying to be.

I am fed up to the back teeth with oh so sincere wet dreamers telling me on TV that I should be oh so concerned about  the conditions in Upper Bongo Land.

Nothing to do with me and my kind.

Give these poor people the priceless gift of their own adulthood.

One thing we could do with relatively little extra resource would be to insource foreign workers - into the NHS, schools, legal system etc - allow them to shadow our workers and give them basic training then release them back to their countries. That way we would be exporting competency and doing so in an altruistic non-controlling, non-colonial way. It would be a good thing for the world and we would have clear consciences. True globalisation in my book. As other posters have noted, 3rd world countries need to grow up. We can help them through trade and training rather than bribes.