• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Horrified Onlooker

ULEZ -Bus Driver’s Son Again

Apologies if already posted. It appears that the bus driver’s son wants to extend the ‘Ultra Low Emissions Zone’ and is having a consultation. 

Considering the glorious fuck up they made with Diesel engines, when will these fuckers learn to stop interfering?

The government never makes anything better!  :Old:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/environment/air-quality-consultation-phase-3b/?cid=airquality-consultation

Edited by Horrified Onlooker
Spelling

6 minutes ago, Horrified Onlooker said:

Apologies if already posted. It appears that the bus driver’s son wants to extend the ‘Ultra Low Emissions Zone’ and is having a consultation. 

Considering the glorious fuck up they made with Diesel engines, when will these fuckers learn to stop interfering?

The government never makes anything better!  :Old:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/environment/air-quality-consultation-phase-3b/?cid=airquality-consultation

I’ve ranted at length about this.

consultation is over. The details are deliberately muddied but it seems as from next year, The congestion zone (a tenner a day) is being brought out to the north and south circular. 

A mate of mine has a electricians shop just within the north circuit.  After the debacle of mini Holland which has just about killed his business dead, he recons that this will really finish it off. An electrician wants some gear.  “Do I go to the little independent and pay a tenner to the bus driver for the privilege, or do I go to the out of town shed?” 

I can't say that I'm that fussed either way. I live half a mile outside the south circular and it would mean that I would have to drive my big petrol car that does 22mpg in town but is Euro-IV compliant if I wanted to go inside it, rather than my ratty old diesel supermini that does more like 60mpg. But I cycle around London a lot and the high pollution levels probably aren't doing me much good, even if I'm not currently noticing any ill effects. 

My apologies to those who are inconvenienced by this stuff, I can understand the irritation, but as a significant number of my family have died from lung cancer, and as someone who has to breathe Parisian air regularly, I approve of all these clean air moves, I only wish the French would ban their filthy stinking diesels from cities.

I daresay people with poorly insulated homes complained when fires were banned after the London smogs of the 50s/60s, but within a generation it seemed normal.

That said, if people are to be pushed to use electrics, the infrastructure needs to be built to allow this, and np price-gouging allowed. At the moment it looks more like the UK elite want to push everyone else except them and their Teslas off the road.

I'm broadly sympathetic -- things should be done to work on congestion and emissions.

But they've got evidence now -- they can see how effective the LEZ has been over the last 10 years in managing these thing. 

Oh, it turns out that the LEZ hasn't had any impact on these things.  It has only had an impact on increasing revenue.

Oh, and affecting normal people, businesses and mobility within the LEZ.

Oh, and it disproportionally affects lower income people.  Not that I necessarily mind this, but you'd have thought that a nice Labour guy would.  

Oh, but of course this is the new nice type of Labour which doesn't actually need to worry about workers.

There is a need to help manage traffic and congestion, but they need to find workable solutions.  Sadly, though, government's standard response is always 'well, it hasn't worked -- but we can't be wrong!  We clearly need to do exactly the same thing but twice as much'.  This is madness, yet it happens every time.

9 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

My apologies to those who are inconvenienced by this stuff, I can understand the irritation, but as a significant number of my family have died from lung cancer, and as someone who has to breathe Parisian air regularly, I approve of all these clean air moves, I only wish the French would ban their filthy stinking diesels from cities.

I daresay people with poorly insulated homes complained when fires were banned after the London smogs of the 50s/60s, but within a generation it seemed normal.

That said, if people are to be pushed to use electrics, the infrastructure needs to be built to allow this, and np price-gouging allowed. At the moment it looks more like the UK elite want to push everyone else except them and their Teslas off the road.

Exactly right. Given a free choice between two equally viable options any sensible person would opt for the least polluting, most efficient one. The problem is government always fucks around with the implementation of good schemes like this by taxing people. Maybe if they got the infrastructure in place first, then imposed punitive taxation after, people wouldn't be so cynical about it all. 

8 hours ago, billfunk said:

Exactly right. Given a free choice between two equally viable options any sensible person would opt for the least polluting, most efficient one. The problem is government always fucks around with the implementation of good schemes like this by taxing people. Maybe if they got the infrastructure in place first, then imposed punitive taxation after, people wouldn't be so cynical about it all. 

And also stopped increasing the number of people in London. The transport system is so overcrowded it is becoming unusable. 

19 hours ago, One percent said:

I’ve ranted at length about this.

consultation is over. The details are deliberately muddied but it seems as from next year, The congestion zone (a tenner a day) is being brought out to the north and south circular. 

A mate of mine has a electricians shop just within the north circuit.  After the debacle of mini Holland which has just about killed his business dead, he recons that this will really finish it off. An electrician wants some gear.  “Do I go to the little independent and pay a tenner to the bus driver for the privilege, or do I go to the out of town shed?” 

Do you mean the low emissions zone, or the congestion charge zone (for all vehicles)?

1 hour ago, Austin Allegro said:

Do you mean the low emissions zone, or the congestion charge zone (for all vehicles)?

My understanding is that it is a congestion charge zone.  Dunno though as it is all being kept, deliberately, as clear as mud.