• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Dave Bloke

manflu

Recommended Posts

Agghhh third time this winter with mild 'flu. Last one was just before Christmas given to me by my work colleagues and was very unpleasant for 24 hours - 40C temp and bed ridden but got well quite quickly. This one dragging on and on with aching joints and sensitive skin.

I'm sure the govt. is trying to cull us off. The missus got an injection in the autumn by government order - she's a key worker who would be drafted in to administer summary justice in the case of a civil emergency and she seems to have sailed through winter without a sniffle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find this phrase to be incredibly insulting and very damaging to men. Every man, and any woman who loves a man, should be going out of their way to damn anyone who uses it.

A GP friend of mine says that he sees men every year who have serious illnesses who put off coming to see him sooner because the female in his life ridiculed his symptoms as being manflu.

Did you miss the massive flu thread in your weakened state?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Did you miss the massive flu thread in your weakened state?

I did, I haven't even felt like watching the curling on the winter olympics, just a bit of dosbodding for me. I've sent the missus out to clear the snow from the drive as she's feeling so chipper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Manflu means going to bed for a couple of days when you get a virus and sweating it out and that's usually how long it lasts.

The opposite strategy: non-Manflu is to "soldier on" (wo)manfully, in which case it hangs on for a couple of weeks.

Thta's about my take on it.  A mother of young children may have no choice but to keep going however hard it is (and as those of us who have had proper flu know it is incredibly hard) and therefore will throw caustic barbed comments at a man who will take to bed and that then gains currency.

WIth proper flu taking to bed is absolutely the thing to do; sure if you had no choice you could get up get dressed and go to the shops but it would be absolute torture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first winter where I have taken Vitamin D and it is also the first time for many years where I have not been ill during the winter.

I could have been very fortunate or maybe the Vitamin D has had something to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

This is the first winter where I have taken Vitamin D and it is also the first time for many years where I have not been ill during the winter.

I could have been very fortunate or maybe the Vitamin D has had something to do with it.

 

I take mega doses of D3 so am not convinced. Some of the D3 docs reckon that if you start to come down with flu then taking a seriously high dose can save you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

 

I take mega doses of D3 so am not convinced. Some of the D3 docs reckon that if you start to come down with flu then taking a seriously high dose can save you.

I could have been lucky,my missus has also not had any illness this winter either and it is the first time she has taken Vitamin D also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came down with the flu a few years back. Proper balls out flu.

The only thing I've had that was worse was pneumonia when I was a kid. I was a husk of a human being for about four weeks and only started feeling sort of normal after about six weeks. I was genuinely convinced I was going to die in the first couple of weeks, it was that bad.

Eventually, I went back to work and one of the first things said to my dessicated self by a female collegue was, 'got over the manflu then?'

It took all of my force of will not to boot her right in the tuppence.

 

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, M S E Refugee said:

This is the first winter where I have taken Vitamin D and it is also the first time for many years where I have not been ill during the winter.

I could have been very fortunate or maybe the Vitamin D has had something to do with it.

I've been giving it to the whole family for a couple of years now, and the reduction in winter colds has been quite phenomenal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

I've been giving it to the whole family for a couple of years now, and the reduction in winter colds has been quite phenomenal.

I stopped working with women about 8 years ago hand since then haven't had flu.  Maybe that's why it's called manflu -- a disease carried by women but where the symptoms are in the male?

Or maybe it is just a coincidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgul said:

I stopped working with women about 8 years ago hand since then haven't had flu.  Maybe that's why it's called manflu -- a disease carried by women but where the symptoms are in the male?

Or maybe it is just a coincidence.

There was a New Scientist study ?last year that evidenced that some viruses recognise the difference between men and women; obviously they're not sentient but this differentiation has evolved because a woman is more likely to pass it on to her children whereas they can just multiply and burn up the man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davidg said:

Agghhh third time this winter with mild 'flu. Last one was just before Christmas given to me by my work colleagues and was very unpleasant for 24 hours - 40C temp and bed ridden but got well quite quickly. This one dragging on and on with aching joints and sensitive skin.

I'm sure the govt. is trying to cull us off. The missus got an injection in the autumn by government order - she's a key worker who would be drafted in to administer summary justice in the case of a civil emergency and she seems to have sailed through winter without a sniffle!

I have had some horrid virus for the last 5 days with all the lovely symptoms such as

2 days of pounding headache and temperature

4 days of a sore throat that feels like I have been gargling with paint stripper.

An upper respiratory infection with hacking cough that has been exquisitely painful when combined with the sore throt.

Years ago I might have been tempted into work once the headache and temperature had passed but I am afraid that now I simply go off on the sick until most of the symptoms have gone.

My days as a Stakhanovite employee disappeared years ago

Anyway I am a bit pissed off since my Vitamin D regime seemed to have protected me from most of this winters viruses until now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Virgil Caine said:

I have had some horrid virus for the last 5 days with all the lovely symptoms such as

2 days of pounding headache and temperature

4 days of a sore throat that feels like I have been gargling with paint stripper.

An upper respiratory infection with hacking cough that has been exquisitely painful when combined with the sore throt.

Years ago I might have been tempted into work once the headache and temperature had passed but I am afraid that now I simply go off on the sick until most of the symptoms have gone.

My days as a Stakhanovite employee disappeared years ago

Anyway I am a bit pissed off since my Vitamin D regime seemed to have protected me from most of this winters viruses until now.

 

 

That sounds like what I have. I felt fine after 4-5 days but I've still got the cough and runny nose over a week later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, This Time said:

That sounds like what I have. I felt fine after 4-5 days but I've still got the cough and runny nose over a week later.

I can handle the tail end symptoms but I am buggered I'd I am going to work when every cough is so excruciatingly painful it makes me wince.

Respiratory tract infections can be potentially life threatening if they effect the lungs so while most pass naturally with no long term impact they should not be trivialised

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

There was a New Scientist study ?last year that evidenced that some viruses recognise the difference between men and women; obviously they're not sentient but this differentiation has evolved because a woman is more likely to pass it on to her children whereas they can just multiply and burn up the man.

Presumably this article

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2115987-viruses-may-have-evolved-to-hit-men-hard-but-go-easy-on-women/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

and other research supporting the idea that males genuinely suffer from more severe symptoms than females. Just one from a google search ...

http://www.bmj.com/content/359/bmj.j5560

 

and who can argue against this ...

Quote

Perhaps now is the time for male friendly spaces, equipped with enormous televisions and reclining chairs, to be set up where men can recover from the debilitating effects of man flu in safety and comfort.

 

Edited by snagger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, This Time said:

That sounds like what I have. I felt fine after 4-5 days but I've still got the cough and runny nose over a week later.

Similar to what I have - I'm sure it is some new virus they are testing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davidg said:

Finally getting back on my feet but still have a temperature. Back to work tomorrow so I'll have to take it easy for a few days. I'm getting a flu jab next autumn.

 

Glad that you seem to be on the mend. Be careful, I had several times when I thought that I was recovering only to relapse.

I would also advise staying awya from as many people as possible - yeah, I know - as I seem to be picking up other bugs in recent weeks no doubt due to a weakened immune system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 10:16, Sgt Hartman said:

I came down with the flu a few years back. Proper balls out flu.

The only thing I've had that was worse was pneumonia when I was a kid. I was a husk of a human being for about four weeks and only started feeling sort of normal after about six weeks. I was genuinely convinced I was going to die in the first couple of weeks, it was that bad.

 I had proper flu when I was 30 and staying over with my parents on a weekend visit. Went to bed feeling fine. Next morning I woke up, and couldn't move..or even shout for help. I could just about visit the loo next to the bedroom, but no further. I've had pneumonia and glandular fever, and this was way worse. I thought I was dying too. Parents made me Complan, and the flu eventually went after 2 weeks stuck in bed. I'd lost 1 1/2 stones. Tried walking around the block outside, and was staggering all over the pavement. Had the odd nightmare afterwards, and was worried that it would happen again when I was living (on my own) in my house, which had steep stairs, and was 50 miles away from friends and family. Thankfully I've never caught it again. My GP surgery gives me a flu injection each year as I'm an old asthmatic, but I'm not sure if that helps much.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.