• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Mass shooting Florida

I'm all for single shot guns and would like to have one in this country but won't break the law.  I know I can have a shotgun and probably will when I stop work and have time for a bit of shooting but I would prefer to have a hand gun which is strictly verboten.

I do not however see any case whatsoever for private ownership of automatic or semi-automatic weapons; the legal ownership of these is why shootings turn into massacres.

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm all for single shot guns and would like to have one in this country but won't break the law.  I know I can have a shotgun and probably will when I stop work and have time for a bit of shooting but I would prefer to have a hand gun which is strictly verboten.

I do not however see any case whatsoever for private ownership of automatic or semi-automatic weapons; the legal ownership of these is why shootings turn into massacres.

I'm all for it, i'd rather a return to the days of old where people were allowed to bear arms. 

It should be everybodies right.

Edited by WorkingPoor

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

It is a weird country.  I stayed overnight in a dodgy area just outside Jacksonville once (a work thing), with 5 second burst of automatic gunfire a few times an hour.  I've been in some funny places, but I've never heard that just happen without any mention of it on the news etc the next day.

Just now, WorkingPoor said:

I'm all for it, i'd rather a return to the days of old where people were allowed to bear arms. 

It should be everybodies right.

You would be guaranteed that it would pretty much only be the loons that had the automatic weapons.

I'm not automatically against people having weapons, but it should be a privilege not a right and there is never any reason for full automatic for a civilian.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

You would be guaranteed that it would pretty much only be the loons that had the automatic weapons.

I'm not automatically against people having weapons, but it should be a privilege not a right and there is never any reason for full automatic for a civilian.

UK gun law requires the police to grant a shotgun certificate unless they can show either you don't have good reason or that you present a danger to the public safety or peace. In other words, it's a right, not a privilege. And so it should be.

And given the choice, I'd own an automatic weapon. The fact that you only ever hear about the loons does not mean there aren't plenty of perfectly sane people out there with them.

Under normal circumstances I think the law should remain in the UK as is.  I think as terrorist attacks against the civilian population increase then civilians should be allowed to bear arms - say 7 round pistols.  If attacks increase further and become more and more widespread then civilians should be increasingly allowed to also bear automatic weapons.  All under strict conditions of course.

I expect by then the UK wouldn't be worth living in if it isn't there already.

Edited by twocents

1 hour ago, WorkingPoor said:

It should be everybodies right.

I am more pro 2nd amendment than many Americans, the ability to protect oneself from bad actors and yes the state is a inherent right we all have. 

The entire history of firearms legislation in the UK stems from the establishment not wanting a armed populace after ww1 when they lied to those that did the fighting about post war promises. It terrifies them we might be able to stand up to them, and to be honest it is way past time we did 

Sadly you cannot legislate away bad people or prevent them from accessing weapons. What you can do however, is disarm law abiding people and turn them into victims. School Zones in the US are "gun free" 

1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

UK gun law requires the police to grant a shotgun certificate unless they can show either you don't have good reason or that you present a danger to the public safety or peace. In other words, it's a right, not a privilege. And so it should be.

And given the choice, I'd own an automatic weapon. The fact that you only ever hear about the loons does not mean there aren't plenty of perfectly sane people out there with them.

Not quite the police have no business in licencing, there should be no licensing for firearms.  At your next renewal try mentioning you want one for protection and see how fast it gets revoked. 

Edited by ad_ceng

7 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

I am more pro 2nd amendment than many Americans, the ability to protect oneself from bad actors and yes the state is a inherent right we all have. 

The entire history of firearms legislation in the UK stems from the establishment not wanting a armed populace after ww1 when they lied to those that did the fighting about post war promises. It terrifies them we might be able to stand up to them, and to be honest it is way past time we did 

Sadly you cannot legislate away bad people or prevent them from accessing weapons. What you can do however, is disarm law abiding people and turn them into victims. School Zones in the US are "gun free" 

Not quite the police have no business in licencing, there should be no licensing for firearms.  At your next renewal try mentioning you want one for protection and see how fast it gets revoked. 

This. 

Pits not about protecting us at all. If we were armed, we could protect ourselves. It is all about protecting them from us. 

If we were armed, there is no way the establishment would have gotten away with what they have over the last 30 years. 

And while we are on it, what exactly was dumblaine  (sp) about?  That enabled then to tighten the gun laws even further. 

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

This. 

Pits not about protecting us at all. If we were armed, we could protect ourselves. It is all about protecting them from us. 

If we were armed, there is no way the establishment would have gotten away with what they have over the last 30 years. 

And while we are on it, what exactly was dumblaine  (sp) about?  That enabled then to tighten the gun laws even further. 

...and Hungerford before that...

Just now, One percent said:

The dumblaine one though had the establishment’s fingerprints all over it. 

If I remember correctly it has something to do with brown again

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Wasnt the results of the public  inquiry put under lock and key for a stupid amount of time 100 years ? or did i dream that 

2 minutes ago, ad_ceng said:

If I remember correctly it has something to do with brown again

Spy?  Is that you?  xD

seriously, I’d not heard that. It must have been before he rose to power as beloved leader. Shadow chancellor at the time I think. 

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Wasnt the results of the public  inquiry put under lock and key for a stupid amount of time 100 years ? or did i dream that 

Yep

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11901710.Who_is_really_being_protected_by_Dunblane_100_year_ban_/

A police report and suggestions of a high level politician and child abuse  

Just now, Long time lurking said:

That has Jimmy Savileitus all over it 

You have to wonder about sovile. Hob nobbing with royalty. 

I know a wealthy, influential business woman in Scarborough. Sovile was always there, had a flat. He knocked around with a bloke called jaconelli who owned an ice cream parlour on the front. It was common knowledge what jaconelli was up to with young boys. 

Influental business woman, and others, raised it as an issue to be told that as the mayor, he was too powerful thus untouchable.  

28 minutes ago, One percent said:

Andy Murray the tennis player was a survivor of that, has he ever told his story? 

8 minutes ago, One percent said:

You have to wonder about sovile. Hob nobbing with royalty. 

I know a wealthy, influential business woman in Scarborough. Sovile was always there, had a flat. He knocked around with a bloke called jaconelli who owned an ice cream parlour on the front. It was common knowledge what jaconelli was up to with young boys. 

Influental business woman, and others, raised it as an issue to be told that as the mayor, he was too powerful thus untouchable.  

What i find weird about Dumblaine is the main  aledged reason behind not releasing the document is because it contains children's names ,to me that would say they must have been abused in some way ,so why have no one been charged?  and if they have not been abused whats the problem 

IMO they are not protecting just the children