• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sarahbell

Historical rights to fish in our waters

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/18/denmark-to-contest-uk-efforts-to-take-back-control-of-fisheries

About a third of the catch of all European fishing fleets is from British waters. The industry estimates that a loss of access would lead to a reduction of about 50% in European fleets’ net profit and the loss of 6,000 full-time jobs.

Dreadful reporting again by the msm.  My home town is was a fishing port.  A large proportion of the town was involved in fishing and most of the rest made their living on  fishing industry money.  Quotas were carved up and sold to foreign fishing fleets.  There are now one or perhaps two trawlers left.  

Those 6000 jobs they speak of were once British jobs, offshored to other Eu countries. What will hopefully happen is those 6000 jobs will come back to our ports and we can once again have a thriving fishing fleet 

the guardian should be charged with treason for the way they have spun this story. Bastards yet again undermining British workers. 

If/ when we get our fishing back it will be a nice foreign exchange earner for the country. People will always want to buy fish and shellfish :) 

At the very least we should charge foreign boats for fishing in our waters.

Just now, Nosler said:

If/ when we get our fishing back it will be a nice foreign exchange earner for the country. People will always want to buy fish and shellfish :) 

At the very least we should charge foreign boats for fishing in our waters.

They shouldn't be fishing in our waters, our fishing stock is not currently sustainable. For years British fishing fleet was blamed for overfishing, now we don't hear much about the dire mess of the crashing numbers of fish.  Yet we allow foreign owned boats to fish our waters.

the other night I bought some fish from the chippy.  In a fishing port. It came from Scandinavia. Probably North Sea cod but fished and then landed in Scandinavia so could not be classed as local.  Madness. 

38 minutes ago, One percent said:

Dreadful reporting again by the msm.  My home town is was a fishing port.  A large proportion of the town was involved in fishing and most of the rest made their living on  fishing industry money.  Quotas were carved up and sold to foreign fishing fleets.  There are now one or perhaps two trawlers left.  

Those 6000 jobs they speak of were once British jobs, offshored to other Eu countries. What will hopefully happen is those 6000 jobs will come back to our ports and we can once again have a thriving fishing fleet 

the guardian should be charged with treason for the way they have spun this story. Bastards yet again undermining British workers. 

Perhaps they could do an article on the Cod wars for balance? Of course, they don't care about us up here, we don't have influence over what happens to the lives of those in Islington. 

Maybe if the EU hadn't destroyed my home city's fishing industry then I'd be able to afford to donate to their journalism? As it is, perhaps the population of Zealand will oblige them?

9 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

Maybe if the EU hadn't destroyed my home city's fishing industry then I'd be able to afford to donate to their journalism? As it is, perhaps the population of Zealand will oblige them?

I have to admit I laugh at the adverts from the Guardian asking for money. I'd rather have that cup of coffee each week than give them something.

You ever read the comments below the articles? Even Guardian readers don't agree with the Guardian.

16 minutes ago, Nosler said:

I have to admit I laugh at the adverts from the Guardian asking for money. I'd rather have that cup of coffee each week than give them something.

You ever read the comments below the articles? Even Guardian readers don't agree with the Guardian.

I'd rather throw the coffee in my own face than give the money to the Guardian.