• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

4x more blue badge thefts...

1 minute ago, One percent said:

When I went to register the death of my mum, they insisted that I handed over the blue badge and bus pass. 

Given their insistence, I would think it is quite common for the family to keep hold of them. 

Or put nana in the freezer.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Why dont they have the car license on them?

Because it isn't the car that is disabled, it is the person.   The holder is free to use that badge in any vehicle they're travelling in.

But it is an important point -- this flexibility pretty much makes policing the blue badge system impossible.  Shops, etc, can't even look at the individual to see if they're 'disabled' before challenging, because so many disabilities are invisible (or, that's the official line).

They probably need a different system -- a blue badge linked to a single vehicle, then a 'scratch off the date' paper version for those times when they're not in their regular car.  I suppose particularly odd cases could apply for a special badge, but that approach would surely cover 99% of situations.  This wouldn't cover other family members driving the owners car, but it would be a start.

But that approach would never ever be taken because it would absolutely definitely be horrendously disabilityist.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

When I went to register the death of my mum, they insisted that I handed over the blue badge and bus pass. 

Given their insistence, I would think it is quite common for the family to keep hold of them. 

Does a registrar have that responsibility/power?

6 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Does a registrar have that responsibility/power?

I think it was part of a one stop shop kind of service but as you can imagine, it was all a bit hazy. 

I do distinctly remember the insistence that I took them along with me. 

1 hour ago, One percent said:

I think it was part of a one stop shop kind of service but as you can imagine, it was all a bit hazy. 

I do distinctly remember the insistence that I took them along with me. 

OK, I read your post as meaning you would have to hand over the pass and badge in order to register the death, which would surely be unlawful

I assume a close relative can register a death, and maybe the next of kin actually has that responsibility.

I also imagine that handing over possesions like passes is the responsibility of an executor.

Edited by Happy Renting

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43071932

Maybe theres 4x more blue badges circulating.

Why dont they have the car license on them?

There are so many badges in circulation now they give no advantage 

The Tesco’s extra near us has so many disabled spaces that if you can get from the far away ones without a wheelchair you don’t meet the criteria for a blue badge 

11 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

OK, I read your post as meaning you would have to hand over the pass and badge in order to register the death, which would surely be unlawful

I assume a close relative can register a death, and maybe the next of kin actually has that responsibility.

I also imagine that handing over possesions like passes is the responsibility of an executor.

I have a feeling they'd asked for my dad's passport when we went to register the death. But I might be wrong on that. The registrar was very nice. 
There's a one stop shop place you ring and they'll sort lots of stuff out - ie: stopping every bit of money you might accidentally end up with too much of.