• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

XP v LINUX

I know we probably do this at least once a year. I actually ditched Win10 for linux solus on my main laptop about 6 months ago, and it was a wonderful sense of relief, even though linux is not really designed for a laptop. I'm just a bit sad now, because I'm using the spare laptop I keep at my mum's, and I'd forgotten how nice XP is. The funny thing is, lots of (probably most) linux distros have ended up quite XP-ish looking, with classic desktop and menu.

The browsers that still support XP seem a bit glitchy, although my underpowered laptop might be overwhelmed by the latest mainstream versions. Also, XP either doesn't support my bluetooth headphones, or I've forgotten how to do it.

Edited by steppensheep

It is very odd how many people actually quite like the XP interface, yet how it was killed off by Microsoft.  I'm sure it was more efficient for many users, as well.  I tend to think that the new interfaces aren't actually designed to make things easier, but to be difficult to copy (copyright) and to be more difficult to migrate away from for the users.  But I am a bit biased against these changes so it might just be fantastic for everyone other than me.

But it is probably the thing that annoys me most about Microsoft and Apple -- when they introduce a new interface you have no choice but to submit.  I quite like the way you can choose which look-and-feel you want with Linux (although this is probably the biggest negative factor in that it confuses potential users).

Currently have two linux mint installations one on a nettop the over on an old AMD tower system with a souped graphics card from Ebuyer. A Win8 netbook on which I'm typing this, an XP netbook on which I keep my old stuff alive (that won't run on Win 8 or 10), a Win 10 Chillbox (basically a fanless 3 core intel atom PC for £99 inc Win 10).

When I compare the 4 operating systems, XP is quaint, Win 8 is tolerable, Win 10 has been down dumbed for kids who have grown up with touchscreen phones, Linux is for minimalists who can make do and mend.

All I do on the Linux machines is day to day internet, email, writing stuff and for that it is great and unfussed.

Windows 10 is the one that pisses me off as it is written to principally sell apps and aimed at numbnuts.

They still use Win 7 at work which is more XP like.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

It is very odd how many people actually quite like the XP interface, yet how it was killed off by Microsoft.  I'm sure it was more efficient for many users, as well.  I tend to think that the new interfaces aren't actually designed to make things easier, but to be difficult to copy (copyright) and to be more difficult to migrate away from for the users.  But I am a bit biased against these changes so it might just be fantastic for everyone other than me.

But it is probably the thing that annoys me most about Microsoft and Apple -- when they introduce a new interface you have no choice but to submit.  I quite like the way you can choose which look-and-feel you want with Linux (although this is probably the biggest negative factor in that it confuses potential users).

The best UI MS ever did was W2000. It was great.

Gui and os kernel were far ahead of anything else. That was peak MS.

If they stuck to that gui then theyd have won servers.

Insread they farted around and put a bad mobile phone gui on ws2008. At that point i just jacked in bother to support windows. They keep fucking stuff up.

My current bugbear is powershell. Or , rather, the different versions of powerhell. I think were on psv6.

Gui wise. If someone could port xfce  to QT id be delirious.

I discovered xfce when Canonical ditched gnome 2, and I've never been happier with a user environment*: it's fast, sane, and you can switch off anything that's being annoyingly helpful. They have built up a lot of trust from me with their slow release cycle that's just gradual improvement, rather than revolution.

If I had ever liked XP, I think I'd be out of luck now, as (I believe) it would only be safe using a connected computer if you were using the embedded version?

For me, even a somewhat broken linux environment on a laptop (e.g. buggy suspend/resume) is infinitely preferable to any flavour of windows, but that's because of the eccentric range of programs I run. I'm typically using vim, c, xmgrace, latex, gimp, maxima, and maybe freeglut and libreoffice. It would be pretty painful to have to migrate some of that to windows. At work I have to use windows 7 & 10, but it's basically only for word processing, and I don't have to pay the internet bills for windows updates. I also feel a bit-put upon having to use non-free* software, so I'm prepared to patiently suffer annoyances to avoid it. I've finally finished a project that needed me to use Abaqus, so I now feel "clean" once more in my real work, and will strive to use Calculix if I ever need to do FEA again.

* The first time I used unix locally (not tty remote login) was on a DEC alpha, running twm, and I have to say that was awesome in its speed and minimalism.

** RMS is one of those annoying people who is completely insane but always turns out to be correct.

On 17.2.2018 at 18:32, dgul said:

It is very odd how many people actually quite like the XP interface, yet how it was killed off by Microsoft.  I'm sure it was more efficient for many users, as well. 

Funny thing is, I think it's that fact that Microsoft has abandoned it that has allowed Linux to claim it. Previously, any hint that a Linux distro was copying Microsaft resulted in outrage from the fan base. Now they can all happily adopt it. In fact, various things that they used to claim as "features" are now being quietly moved aside for the sake of useability (eg administrator priveleges, security).

On 17.2.2018 at 20:27, BurntBread said:

I discovered xfce when Canonical ditched gnome 2

You may know (but others might not) Canonical has announced the end of its Unity interface (Windows 10-like, intended to work on both phone and computer) and the return to gnome. Probably due to it slipping down the rankings behind Mint, and the positive reception for the classical menu/desktop Ubuntu Mate version.

Edited by steppensheep
This comment was not edited. Look away.

30 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

You may know (but others might not) Canonical has announced the end of it's Unity interface (Windows 10-like, intended to work on both phone and computer) and the return to gnome. Probably due to it slipping down the rankings behind Mint, and the positive reception for the classical menu/desktop Ubuntu Mate version.

No surprise really - if you are running a desktop with mouse you want a frigging OS designed with that interface in mind, not some metro-like bastard offspring of mobile and desktop.

Oh goodie, another "I love Linux" thread, can I jump in?

This Christmas my father was about to freecycle a 7 year old Dell laptop which had become slow to the point of being unusable. Meanwhile my teenage daughter was after a computer for her final year GCSE work.  Dad didn't have the original Windows disks or codes so a re-install wasn't looking very easy: I reformatted the disk, installed Linux mint without any issues and it works beautifully.  My daughter got the hang of it in minutes, it connects seamlessly to our homemade home server and everyone's happy.

Two of the 5 computers in the house are now on linux - I'm only holding on to Windows on the others for my sons occasional gaming moments and my audio programs.

4 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Funny thing is, I think it's that fact that Microsoft has abandoned it that has allowed Linux to claim it. Previously, any hint that a Linux distro was copying Microsaft resulted in outrage from the fan base. Now they can all happily adopt it. In fact, various things that they used to claim as "features" are now being quietly moved aside for the sake of useability (eg administrator priveleges, security).

I don't think that any successful LInux distro has copied XP -- well, apart from 'task bar on bottom with home icon on the left' on some distros, but that's hardly something 'belonging' to Microsoft. 

2 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Given that this is DOSBODS we should all be running Tails with an airgap.

https://tails.boum.org/

o.O

Well, if Dosbods hasn't done it already, Tails will definitely make you a 'person of interest'...

5 hours ago, steppensheep said:

You may know (but others might not) Canonical has announced the end of its Unity interface (Windows 10-like, intended to work on both phone and computer) and the return to gnome. Probably due to it slipping down the rankings behind Mint, and the positive reception for the classical menu/desktop Ubuntu Mate version.

You're right: it's probably a good move. I don't have anything against Unity (and I know at least one person who really likes it). What got my goat though was two things: it was a big change that required re-learning short-cuts for no added value to me, and it was such a wasted opportunity.

Ubuntu was hitting it's stride as a "just works" distribution you could recommend to anyone dissatisfied with Windows, and suddenly they turned it into a bizarre, eccentric and somewhat buggy user experience, just in time to spectacularly fail to catch all the refugees from Windows 8 (my memory of the history might be a bit off).

In general, I don't really care what other people use: I'll tell them I like Linux (while trying not to ridicule other choices), but I can't help thinking that quite a few people would have been better off discovering the world of FOSS; while acquiring a bigger user base would have been good for a number of open source projects.

35 minutes ago, dgul said:

I don't think that any successful LInux distro has copied XP -- well, apart from 'task bar on bottom with home icon on the left' on some distros, but that's hardly something 'belonging' to Microsoft. 

PCLinuxOS was deliberately developed to appeal to windows users. Was the top distro a few years ago, or thereabouts. And I think the layout; menu, task bar, system tray, is pretty much what defines the xp look, and what many other distros tried to avoid.

Edited by steppensheep