• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Long time lurking

New leader required

UKIP has had its day.  We need a new party. We could call it the people’s party.  All it needs to do is dust off the original Labour Party papers used at its inception, tweak and reword to fit today’s language. 

Bloke is delusional 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43301773

The ousted former leader of the UK Independence Party, Henry Bolton, says he is setting up a new political party.

Mr Bolton, who was voted out last month at a meeting of UKIP members, said his new party would "campaign unceasingly for our full independence from the EU".

Posted (edited)
On 17/02/2018 at 18:50, One percent said:

UKIP has had its day.  We need a new party. We could call it the people’s party.  All it needs to do is dust off the original Labour Party papers used at its inception, tweak and reword to fit today’s language. 

I think it's virtually impossible to set up a new party, at least not without a very specific central message that large numbers of the population can get behind and one which the other major parties are not already behind. UKIP only managed it due to the EU and even then it took them close to 20 years to get anywhere. I think you also need somebody at the helm with a decent political profile, you might have a change if you could get 5-10 currently serving MP's but party politics is so ingrained it would be potential political suicide for those involved.

I don't think after the Brexit vote that UKIP were finished at all they could IMO genuinely gone on to form a very serious credible alternative, problem is they got rid of the only two sane people in the party and descended in to chaos.

Only way I could see it happen in the current climate is if Farage started a new party backed by 2-3 current MP's, totally disassociate with UKIP and present it as a completely new party, a new set of ideas but with a core focus on the UK as an independent nation outside of the EU. 

Edited by gilf

Just now, gilf said:

I think it's virtually impossible to set up a new party, at least not without a very specific central message that large numbers of the population can get behind and one which the other major parties are not already behind. UKIP only managed it due to the EU and even then it took them close to 20 years to get anywhere. I think you also need somebody at the helm with a decent political profile, you might have a change if you could get 5-10 currently serving MP's but party politics is so ingrained it would be potential political suicide for those involved.

I don't think after the Brexit vote that UKIP were finished at all they could IMO genuinely gone on to form a very serious credible alternative, problem is they got rid of the only two sane people in the party and descended in to chaos.

Agree. The most valuable thing that UKIP had was a charismatic leader in Farage. Whether you agree with him or not, he was the power within the party. Once he left, it all fell apart spectacularly. 

I reckon you could set up a new party, but in the UK you'd need many hundreds of millions or billions of GBP to make it viable and one or more extremely charismatic individuals. All MSM outlets would be against you.

Problem is, where are you going to find a person or people with bilions of GBP who also believe in democracy and returning the country to the people?

It cost the banks less to subvert the existing parties than it would have done to set up a new viable party.  

5 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

I reckon you could set up a new party, but in the UK you'd need many hundreds of millions or billions of GBP to make it viable and one or more extremely charismatic individuals. All MSM outlets would be against you.

Problem is, where are you going to find a person or people with bilions of GBP who also believe in democracy and returning the country to the people?

It cost the banks less to subvert the existing parties than it would have done to set up a new viable party.  

I believe I coined the phrase for this - franchise politics. Here in the UK we only have 2 - 2.5 electable franchises, so you can either start a new party from scratch, or subvert one of the existing ones (see: NewLabour.) It's a bit like sport - do you want to start a new team in the Church and Friendly league, in the hope of one day playing in the Champions League, or do you just buy Manchester City? I believe that the aggressive hijacking of franchises is commonplace in the NFL, for instance?

The answer, for me, along with solving a lot of other associated problems, would be to ban political parties.

6 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

The only person I can think of with the profile, money and Brexit stance is James Dyson and I doubt he'd touch it with yours!

On 2/17/2018 at 18:47, Long time lurking said:

Who`s up next is Farage going to make a come back ?

And risk the ever increasing left wing violence while the police continue to turn a blind eye? Much more sensible (and probably more effective) to be a globe hopping political commentator.

45 minutes ago, gilf said:

....problem is they got rid of the only two sane people in the party and descended in to chaos....

The weird thing is, practically every ukipper I saw on telly, with a couple of notable exceptions, seemed sane, thoughtful, moderate, rational, and openminded. The people who want to lead things always seem to be useless in multiple ways, but most voting human beings just seem to fall for them.

59 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

The only person I can think of with the profile, money and Brexit stance is James Dyson and I doubt he'd touch it with yours!

He might like my idea for a political party, which would be with the aim of establishing the same system of democracy and government in the UK as exists in Switzerland. It would probably end up with lower taxes on companies like his!