• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Bank of England Chief Cashier won't use contactless

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I entirely agree with her and have never made a contactless payment.

Two reasons:

I don't trust the tech

I don't know where my bank account balance stands; which is not a problem with cash as when it's gone it's gone.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5418877/Bank-Englands-chief-cashier-doesnt-trust-contactless.html

Technophobe. How do you cope with mobile phone payments?

6 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Technophobe. How do you cope with mobile phone payments?

What are mobile phone payments?

Serious question :o

Ahh, top ups. £10 a year for me.

Edited by Hopeful

6 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

What are mobile phone payments?

Serious question :o

Ahh, top ups. £10 a year for me.

Payments by mobile phone are very common now in various parts of the world. In China you can actually pay street musicians by mobile phone. 

https://paym.co.uk/

Edited by sleepwello'nights
add link

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

Payments by mobile phone are very common now in various parts of the world. In China you can actually pay street musicians by mobile phone. 

Ahh yes, I've heard about that method of payment.

its quick and easy and you dont deal with mongs at the till. 

All contactless is limited to £30 so if you spend more you have to do proper chip n pin. 

If your card gets nicked you'll only be on the hook for £30 fraud 

cant see the problem if you on the straight and narrow 

if worried about being tracked then obv go cash only but you better get rid of your laptop phone smart tv wifi british gas control hub disable your cars black box / ecu wear google glasses and a hat to avoid facial recognition cameras  etc etc and use pen & paper and meet in parks etc 

Edited by WorkingPoor

2 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

All contactless is limited to £30 so if you spend more you have to do proper chip n pin. 

I quite like the mongs at the till. They are just doing a job.

5 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

if worried about being tracked then obv go cash only but you better get rid of your laptop phone smart tv wifi british gas control hub disable your cars black box / ecu wear google glasses and a hat to avoid facial recognition cameras  etc etc and use pen & paper and meet in parks etc 

Is it not £30 each shop they use it in until it you report it stolen ?

Yes but if you such a mong that you leave it 4 hours then thats your gig.

BTW your bank will be onto any rapid usage / block the card and phone you before you realise its been nicked 

your insured and will get any losses back within 24hrs

Edited by WorkingPoor

I used my contactless 3 times in a day and was then asked for a pin on the 4th time. Maybe it was on the 3rd use, can't  quite remember.

8 minutes ago, NewryH said:

I used my contactless 3 times in a day and was then asked for a pin on the 4th time. Maybe it was on the 3rd use, can't  quite remember.

Yes there enough safeguards in the system

some say you can accidentally pay for someone elses shopping at the till but thats urban legend you need to be right over the scanner like literally tap the card on the screen  

22 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

My debit card was stolen near London bridge a few years back.  I noticed and reported it within 20 minutes when I got back to the office.  Within 12 minutes the thieves were in a bank branch, getting 250 quid out using social engineering.  They tried again at another branch 7 minutes later.  The well organised gangs WILL have a professional setup.

hit Boots for razors, WHSmith for batteries, M&S for a shirt, mothercare for nappies - thats 120 quid in 15 minutes.  And it WILL happen.

I used my card in a local petrol station 

(they had installed a camera in the roof above the chip pin machine indians took loads of people) 

They spent £1600 on airline tickets to india on my card 

first i knew the bank called me 

after verifying it wasnt me they recreddited my account there and then

Edited by WorkingPoor

3 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

I used my card in a local petrol station 

(they ha a camera in the roof above the chip pin machine tool loads of people) 

They spent £1600 on airline tickets to india on my card 

first i knew the bank called me 

after verifying it wasnt me they recreddited my account there and then

So, were the fraudsters immigrants or bohemians?

Mr Dipsy has had bank cards skimmed twice, Nationwide and the now defunct Egg reacted incredibly quickly on both occasions. Banks spend a fortune on transaction monitoring, I'm happy using contactless - like not having to buy train tickets and having fares capped is good for a start. I think it's good for the oldies - one less number to remember.

7 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

So, were the fraudsters immigrants or bohemians?

Min wage illegals working nights in the local 24hr shell franchise 

it made the papers i'll dig the story out they took hundreds of people by capturing their pin with a camera above the chip n pin machine 

c**ts

Edited by WorkingPoor

5 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

Ok, several reasons:

Intrinsic qualities: I like notes and coins aesthetically; they are miniature works of art that have over two thousand years' of history. Numbers on a screen don't have this.

Knowing how much money I have available to spend at a glance. Less important now but as a yoof I go away for the weekend and will take my spending cash and will know that's my limit. It also means you don't find out you've overspent at a time of your life when this can mean real hardship.

Tracking. Whilst I am absolutely tracked by carrying my mobile phone nobody (AFAIK!) is interested in so doing. Banks and retailers are however incredibly interested in knowing upon what I am spending my money.

Future tracking. NHS treatment is already restricted in some cases; it is not beyond the realms of possibility that you start being monitored for cigarette or alcohol purchases and denied treatment through analysis of your purchase records.

Interpersonal transactions. I give young relatives cash presents, if someone gets me something when they go to the shops I give them cash for it, I pay my gardener in cash.

Levies. Cash is cash. Pretty much every other form of transaction finds a middleman taking their cut. It was flagged before Christmas that Tesco temps could only be paid onto a Tuxedo card which meant a levy on their whole wages.

Fraud. For all the "you get your money back" mantra the simplest way to avoid card fraud full stop is to pay in cash.

As well as all the "cashless" predictions within the article it noted that demand for cash is at its highest ever; so the impression given by the media that people using cash are elderly unsophisticated Luddites is somewhat wide of the mark.

My banking app pings the phone with a message showing the amount spent every time you use the card so I would know immediately if someone else was using the card.

Not sure why, they’re so keen but some places in China now only seem to want phone app payment as mentioned upthread.

8 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I quite like the mongs at the till. They are just doing a job.

Yep, silently judging you based on what you’re buying.

7 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

it made the papers i'll dig the story out they took hundreds of people by capturing their pin with a camera above the chip n pin machine 

c**ts

They did this at my local Morrison’s store. Exactly the same MO. 

9 hours ago, WorkingPoor said:

c**ts

Something similar happened to me some years ago - I am pretty certain that my card details were skimmed/captured  at a garage I used.