• Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Question for the baldies (the fully shaved ones)

Recommended Posts

Am considering going the fully shaved head and beard route.(well, after the current cold spell in Geneva/Europe is finished, at any rate)

Yeah, I know, like the comic video below. Maybe a bigger beard not a goatee, we'll see.

And not to be badass, but because my hair is too damned grey for my taste. It's ok being the oldest snowboarder/surfer in town, but I prefer not to look it.

Question is - how much work is involved? I can't be arsed wet-shaving my head every other day. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends what you want. If it's the totally shaved, Duncan Goodhew look you're going for, that needs to be wet-shaved every morning or at least every other day. 

A grade one buzzcut once a week or at least once a fortnight is the other type, for which you will need an electric trimmer. 

I did the second option for a few years, it is a bit of a pain making sure it's all been done neatly and properly, plus there's all the cleaning up afterwards. 

When I realised I wasn't going to go completely bald just a bit thin on top I went back to longer hair and the barber's. The skinhead look never really suited me anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I pay a fiver for a buzz cut every couple of weeks - or when I can be arsed. I have a bad habit of waiting too long and looking like Doc Brown from back to the future.

Bought a beard trimmer for about 20 quid, does the job.

yeah that's been more or less me for years, looked alright while the hair colour was less white. not so keen now. Can't dye hair that is a No.1!

Just middle-aged vanity yearning for lost youth I suppose, have been a grunpy old bloke for years inside, prefer not to look like one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I pay a fiver for a buzz cut every couple of weeks - or when I can be arsed. I have a bad habit of waiting too long and looking like Doc Brown from back to the future.

Bought a beard trimmer for about 20 quid, does the job.

I go for the 2mm trim every couple of weeks.  Do it myself with a hair trimmer & takes about 10 minutes max.  Let the missus inspect and trim anything I've missed.  I've thought about the totally bald look but think this is way less hassle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be doing this eventually; not sure if it'll be in 2 years, 5 years, or 10.

But anyways; there's various devices to buzz-cut yourself, but there's also a thing called a 'head blade' for the clean look, which might speed up the processes:

 

.....but personally I think the best option for most chaps is a buzz cut. No need to shave it clean.

Edited by JoeDavola

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

yeah that's been more or less me for years, looked alright while the hair colour was less white. not so keen now. Can't dye hair that is a No.1!

Just middle-aged vanity yearning for lost youth I suppose, have been a grunpy old bloke for years inside, prefer not to look like one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

yeah that's been more or less me for years, looked alright while the hair colour was less white. not so keen now. Can't dye hair that is a No.1!

Just middle-aged vanity yearning for lost youth I suppose, have been a grunpy old bloke for years inside, prefer not to look like one.

 

My problem is my hairline is more or less 'normal' the front, albeit receding a bit (think Bruce Willis in early episodes of Moonlighting) but I've got a major bald patch at the back which makes me look like I'm wearing a Jewish skullcap. The all over shaven look doesn't suit me as I look like a chemo-kid, and the buzz cut doesn't hide the bald patch but does make the front look much balder. Nor does a combover work as the area is too large to cover effectively. It's a follicular conundrum! The only solution is actually to become Jewish and wear a Yarmulkah.

Edited by Austin Allegro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be very careful about razor burn if you decide to go for completely bald - the metal from a too close electrical shaver can give you horrendously painful razor burn if you do not have a good technique. That would be ALL OVER head agony for many weeks whilst your skin heals.

It is one of those things that you do not feel happening - the damage - whilst doing it and only manifests itself 12 to 24 hours later. By which time you are fucked.

Lots of videos on youtube about shaving your head so well worth educating yourself.

I learnt the hard way just doing the back of my neck. Thank god I did not do my entire head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

My problem is my hairline is more or less 'normal' the front, albeit receding a bit (think Bruce Willis in early episodes of Moonlighting) but I've got a major bald patch at the back which makes me look like I'm wearing a Jewish skullcap. The all over shaven look doesn't suit me as I look like a chemo-kid, and the buzz cut doesn't hide the bald patch but does make the front look much balder. Nor does a combover work as the area is too large to cover effectively. It's a follicular conundrum! The only solution is actually to become Jewish and wear a Yarmulkah.

Is the hair around the side quite thick? Would you consider a hair transplant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

My problem is my hairline is more or less 'normal' the front, albeit receding a bit (think Bruce Willis in early episodes of Moonlighting) but I've got a major bald patch at the back which makes me look like I'm wearing a Jewish skullcap. The all over shaven look doesn't suit me as I look like a chemo-kid, and the buzz cut doesn't hide the bald patch but does make the front look much balder. Nor does a combover work as the area is too large to cover effectively. It's a follicular conundrum! The only solution is actually to become Jewish and wear a Yarmulkah.

I wouldn't in the current political climate - if the goat fuckers dint get you end the Corbynistas will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

My problem is my hairline is more or less 'normal' the front, albeit receding a bit (think Bruce Willis in early episodes of Moonlighting) but I've got a major bald patch at the back which makes me look like I'm wearing a Jewish skullcap. The all over shaven look doesn't suit me as I look like a chemo-kid, and the buzz cut doesn't hide the bald patch but does make the front look much balder. Nor does a combover work as the area is too large to cover effectively. It's a follicular conundrum!

 

I found this video very good as I knew what ask for when going to a barber and also which photos to take along.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Is the hair around the side quite thick? Would you consider a hair transplant?

It's pretty much exactly the same as Mark Carney's hairdo, only less grey. 

I have thought about a hair transplant - just a bit concerned about failure, infections etc. Plus if it all goes eventually, I'll be left with a weird island of hair on my head! 

FN-AA786_CARNEY_P_20170620044356.jpg&f=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

Is the hair around the side quite thick? Would you consider a hair transplant?

 

There is a bloke local to me who is completely bald. At some point he has tried a hair transplant, which clearly failed, as his head is covered in hundreds of small dot indentations. Looks horrific.

Lots of actors / celebs who claim to have had hair transplants actually have what are now called as Hair Replacement Systems. Their heads are basically shaved bald and then a latex scalp, moulded to fit their skull, is glued on top. In this latex scalp are weaved thousands of hairs. Dependent upon how fast your real remaining hair grows they have this replaced every 4 - 8 weeks. Some of the bigger Hollywood stars will have this down weekly.

 

Something which I have discovered in Swansea is that whether you pay £5 or £35 in many of the barbers they give you the same sodding haircut. Short back and sides and cut as much on top to make you look like an old man before your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

My problem is my hairline is more or less 'normal' the front, albeit receding a bit (think Bruce Willis in early episodes of Moonlighting) but I've got a major bald patch at the back which makes me look like I'm wearing a Jewish skullcap. The all over shaven look doesn't suit me as I look like a chemo-kid, and the buzz cut doesn't hide the bald patch but does make the front look much balder. Nor does a combover work as the area is too large to cover effectively. It's a follicular conundrum! The only solution is actually to become Jewish and wear a Yarmulkah.

Exactly the same here. But as I can't see the back of my head, I ignore it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clippers with no guard on will leave a bit of stubble, which I think looks fine compared with the faff of trying to wet shave it. 

There's a picture of me fairly freshly shaved with bare clippers (from the look of it it's guess about day or two before) on the picture thread on the stealth forum. It's page 16 of 27 on my phone. I'm not sure if the page numbers work the same in a proper browser.

My clippers have a lever that lets you adjust for a wide (less close shave), or closed (more close shave). At the time I did that picture in was using the wide seeing with bare clippers (no guard).

If you did it every 1 or 2 weeks that would be fine. I tend to leave it 3 or 4, which starts looking a bit shit.

Edited by SpectrumFX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

It's pretty much exactly the same as Mark Carney's hairdo, only less grey. 

I have thought about a hair transplant - just a bit concerned about failure, infections etc. Plus if it all goes eventually, I'll be left with a weird island of hair on my head! 

FN-AA786_CARNEY_P_20170620044356.jpg&f=1

Yeah it's hard to tell....but in your 50's I'd guess you'd not get a massive change over the rest of your life.

A good transplant doctor will construct a conservative 'age appropriate hairline' - a high hairline like Sting has these days:

image.thumb.png.e84d7cde2b6b561d72b766e7072e3042.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There is a bloke local to me who is completely bald. At some point he has tried a hair transplant, which clearly failed, as his head is covered in hundreds of small dot indentations. Looks horrific.

Yeah I saw quite a few horrific hair transplant results when I spent a couple of weeks in California a few years back.

Remember being on a train and seeing a bloke with a clean bald head at the front, with what looked like a bunch of public hairs that he'd pulled out of his crotch and glued up top. Then when he turned around to get off the train I saw the big scar side to side at the back of his head like this.

image.png.103b195e8acbb50d9c0845f51e730f9a.png

And you're correct, wigs these days can look fantastic if you get a good one and maintain it well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not try a combover or trying to mask your hair loss, as everyone will know. In particular baldies who have been through it, they will wonder when you will hit the 'acceptance' stage. Hair transplants look shit in most cases. Just accept your baldness and embrace it.

In terms of time, I use one of these every day, and it takes about 45 seconds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skull-Shaver-Pitbull-Platinum/dp/B076GPFLKR/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C1ZPN93DG6W7BZT5R2PY

Expensive but worth it, best used when dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Do not try a combover or trying to mask your hair loss, as everyone will know. In particular baldies who have been through it, they will wonder when you will hit the 'acceptance' stage. Hair transplants look shit in most cases. Just accept your baldness and embrace it.

In terms of time, I use one of these every day, and it takes about 45 seconds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Skull-Shaver-Pitbull-Platinum/dp/B076GPFLKR/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=C1ZPN93DG6W7BZT5R2PY

Expensive but worth it, best used when dry.

I'm not happy with hair loss, but I have to say every cloud has a silver lining....cause that's a fucking awesome looking bit of kit. As soon as my time comes, I'm getting that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm not happy with hair loss, but I have to say every cloud has a silver lining....cause that's a fucking awesome looking bit of kit. As soon as my time comes, I'm getting that.

I started losing my hair when I was 18. It took me about 5 years to accept it, and now even if there was a way to grow it back naturally I'd still shave it on number 0 - it's just so much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

It depends what you want. If it's the totally shaved, Duncan Goodhew look you're going for, that needs to be wet-shaved every morning or at least every other day. 

A grade one buzzcut once a week or at least once a fortnight is the other type, for which you will need an electric trimmer. 

I did the second option for a few years, it is a bit of a pain making sure it's all been done neatly and properly, plus there's all the cleaning up afterwards. 

When I realised I wasn't going to go completely bald just a bit thin on top I went back to longer hair and the barber's. The skinhead look never really suited me anyway. 

I've got long flowing locks, but do have a fancy beard (say, Grizzly Adams, but without the cocaine).  What I do is go outside, strip off to the waist and trim using a mirror in the garden.  I hung one on a tree for a while, but these days use the wing mirror on a battered old Land Rover.  I think it should be the only way for a real man to do their beautification routine.  It is pretty cold at this time of year, but then there's there's the additional bad-ass factor...

[and all those hair clippings are used by the birdies to build their nests, so you can feel all good about that as well]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dgul said:

I've got long flowing locks, but do have a fancy beard (say, Grizzly Adams, but without the cocaine).  What I do is go outside, strip off to the waist and trim using a mirror in the garden.  I hung one on a tree for a while, but these days use the wing mirror on a battered old Land Rover.  I think it should be the only way for a real man to do their beautification routine.  It is pretty cold at this time of year, but then there's there's the additional bad-ass factor...

[and all those hair clippings are used by the birdies to build their nests, so you can feel all good about that as well]

LOL! Or you could get one of those clippers with a hoover attachment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgul said:

I've got long flowing locks, but do have a fancy beard (say, Grizzly Adams, but without the cocaine).  What I do is go outside, strip off to the waist and trim using a mirror in the garden.  I hung one on a tree for a while, but these days use the wing mirror on a battered old Land Rover.  I think it should be the only way for a real man to do their beautification routine.  It is pretty cold at this time of year, but then there's there's the additional bad-ass factor...

[and all those hair clippings are used by the birdies to build their nests, so you can feel all good about that as well]

Well, you need to resign your membership of dosbods. All the men on here are slap heads afaict. Although, you could join the women with your flowing locks. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.