• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Mattresses

How often does the dosbod massive change their mattresses? The bed retailers say you should change your mattress every 8 years. Does anyone do that? I know some of the hardcore shaggers here need to change their mattress every few months, but how often does the average dosbodder change their mattress?

Are the expensive mattresses worth the extra coin? I was at "dreams" tonight and there are some mattresses over a grand....

Anyone got any funny stories about birds doing a dump on their mattress? 

Once every 25 years, I am a sheep and use a mattress protector.

I'm assuming with the current one that memory foam may not be a durable as good old fashing carbon steel springs.

4 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Anyone got any funny stories about birds doing a dump on their mattress? 

No, have you?

Edited by Chewing Grass
someone dumped on my mattress

We have two in our house,   we bought a fairly expensive pocket sprung for our main bed,   and a reasonably  decent (silent night) memory foam mattress for the guest room.   

After not very long the pocket sprung mattress had started to "settle" in the areas where we both sleep creating a sort of trough. Still reasonably comfortable(ish)..  but not especially happy about it.   The memory foam mattress (while admittedly used far less)  is just like new and is actually more comfortable and supportive.

I expect we'll throw out our pocket sprung one within the next 5 years (it's only 3 years old now).   The memory foam one I expect we'll still have in another 15 years time.

Edited by Libspero

I've always wondered what a latex mattress is like (as an upgrade from memory foam),  but I've never quite had the balls to invest in one "on the off chance"..  they're quite dear and I think the quality can vary.

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

About 15 years or so.  Have used quality foam for years -- much better than sprung IMO.  I Don't spend more than about £200.

Where do you buy them?

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

About 15 years or so.  Have used quality foam for years -- much better than sprung IMO.  I Don't spend more than about £200.

I have two burst discs and have found memory foam the best for me as I can settle into it better.

£200 quid and come compressed in an easily handlable box, pierce to vacuum packing and watch the magic unfold.

17 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

The bed retailers say you should change your mattress every 8 years.

You should, as this is the optimum arbitrary period for mattress salesmen to make a profit without the public being certain they are taking the piss.

I replace mine when I can no longer stand the smell.

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

I have two burst discs and have found memory foam the best for me as I can settle into it better.

£200 quid and come compressed in an easily handlable box, pierce to vacuum packing and watch the magic unfold.

Best not do that in the lift on the way up to your apartment.

24 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

You should, as this is the optimum arbitrary period for mattress salesmen to make a profit without the public being certain they are taking the piss.

I replace mine when I can no longer stand the smell.

Best not do that in the lift on the way up to your apartment.

The first time I opened one I set up a video camera -- I thought it was going to spring up like a life-raft.  Turns out they don't actually inflate very fast at all.

They do stink though -- buy one in summer so you can have the windows open.  Even better, do it before going on holiday.

Upgrade mine every 5 years or so, but that was silent night sprung ones. Bought a new memory foam mattress from dormeo in the xmas sales for a little over half price and it just arrived, just over £300. Very comfy, would recommend them!

I don’t give a shit what anyone says about how often a mattress should be changed.

The (not cheap) bed frame and mattress I’ve slept on for around 17 years is fine for me because I have no back pain, bed bugs etc.

The mattress has been turned around every year or so and the mattress cover/bedding has been kept reasonably clean.

37 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I've always wondered what a latex mattress is like (as an upgrade from memory foam)

I don't think latex mattresses are an upgrade. They've been available for several decades as a hypoallergenic mattress. If latex mattresses are more expensive, it is because of the 'medical' aspect.  I have one and it is very firm, whereas memory foam is a modern invention and moulds to you with heat.

1 hour ago, Libspero said:

We have two in our house,   we bought a fairly expensive pocket sprung for our main bed,   and a reasonably  decent (silent night) memory foam mattress for the guest room.   

After not very long the pocket sprung mattress had started to "settle" in the areas where we both sleep creating a sort of trough. Still reasonably comfortable(ish)..  but not especially happy about it.   The memory foam mattress (while admittedly used far less)  is just like new and is actually more comfortable and supportive.

I expect we'll throw out our pocket sprung one within the next 5 years (it's only 3 years old now).   The memory foam one I expect we'll still have in another 15 years time.

supposed to flip it/rotate it every 3 months

have a vi spring one which is ok, have put a memory foam topper on as well which helps, good pillows also help

Edited by ashestoashes

21 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

have a vi spring one which is ok, have put a memory foam topper on as well which helps, good pillows also help

Yeah..  we did that to start with,  ours has been flipped and inverted several times.  Just seems to delay the inevitable as opposed to actually repair/prevent the problem.  A bit like turning over the cushions when you get a stain!

25 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

I thought that was for underpants?

Just now, Alonso Quijano said:

Very funny Coronation Street episode 

Oxymoron