DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Genuinely great bands

Frank Hovis

Bands / artists that have produced album after album of top quality music and gave excellent concerts.

This isn't favourite bands (mine is XTC and I freely admit they've done several duff albums and haven't toured since 1982) or short lived greatness like Guns and Roses.

My attempt at a top five with justification (you can do top ten, too three, top one, whatever!):

1) The Beatles - see through the over-familiarity from growing up with them and imagine what it was like hearing some of that for the first time; incredible songwriting

2) Genesis - talent always shows through. The shock of Peter Gabriel leaving allowed them to change into something else entirely but equally good.

3) Kate Bush - amazing albums, literate, beautiful music. Ok not much touring.

4) David Bowie - ok lost his drive in the late eighties but world class up to then and creating whole new movements.

5) REM - good quality indie / college rock that got better and better before a graceful finish.

A tremendous # on the lung

I think you could throw The Smiths in there. Some people don't like the production on their 1st album, but the sings still hold up. 

There are a lot of artists who have produced a string of excellent albums, but not many who have produced more than 3 without some rubbish along the way

Bedrag Justesen

For most people their favourite band typically strike several chords.

Apart from punk bands which are one chord wonders.

#Songs.

#Nostalgia for their teenage self when they first discovered them - can be later than teenage years.

#Movement. The sense of belonging to a group of like minded peers with shared experience. The music, the clothes, the venues, events and festivals. The politics.

Often there are bands which have songs you love, but their values or image doesn't engage. Often there are bands with the perfect image and values but don't truly have the songs.

#Members. Original line-ups count for so much. Some bands can survive the loss of founder members and even flourish, others are lost.

So taking stock of the above I present to you my favourite band.

Reasons.

#Songs, too many to mention, from early days to now. Absolute stunning on record and live.

#Nostalgia. I'm 18 again...and I like it.

#Movement. Complete absence of plastic posturing, no virtue signalling, zero bullshit. No banging on about how long they've been on the road, and they can't believe they are still playing live now they have Grand-children - nobody cares.

#Members. Still the original band on tour. Enhanced by stunning fresh talent, including a string of the world's hottest female guitarists.

Can you tell who it is yet ?

No it's not Rolf Harris.

I present to you my favourite, THE greatest band of all time.

ALICE FUCKING COOPER !!!!!!!!!!

On 24/02/2018 at 17:53, Frank Hovis said:

This isn't favourite bands (mine is XTC and I freely admit they've done several duff albums and haven't toured since 1982)

I love 'Senses Working Overtime' :)

Good call on Kate Bush & Genesis. I have most of the earlier Genesis albums on CD (up to 'Wind & Wuthering').

On 26/02/2018 at 23:21, The XYY Man said:

(cough)

The Rolling Stones

(cough)

XYY

They crossed my mind but when did they last do a great album?  Or even a good song?

Certainly if this was 1970 they'd be in second place on my list as they were superb songwriters and performers up to that point; the performances continued but the songs dried up.

The only post 1970 songs which I can name are Undercover and Wild Horses which don't IMO compare to their late sixties classics.

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

The only post 1970 songs which I can name are Undercover and Wild Horses which don't IMO compare to their late sixties classics.

Tumbling Dice & Brown Sugar?

I don't really like their singles much post 1975 tbh.

2 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

Tumbling Dice & Brown Sugar?

I don't really like their singles much post 1975 tbh.

Okay, 1971 for Brown Sugar!

I don't know the other one.

They crossed my mind but when did they last do a great album?  Or even a good song?

Why did the Beatles make your list then?

Last public performance 1969. Last album recorded 1969.  

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, jm51 said:

Why did the Beatles make your list then?

Last public performance 1969. Last album recorded 1969.  

In my opinion every other band comes a distant second.  Lemmy also rated them the best band ever.

Over-familiarity has dulled their edge but listen to some of their albums on Youtube one time.  Any band who wrote even a quarter of their number of great songs would be up there.

There used to be a radio station in Liverpool that only played Beatles songs and was successful; try doing that with any other band.

The Beatles is not my favourite band but I acknowledge that theyre the best.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:58, Frank Hovis said:

Any band who wrote even a quarter of their number of great songs would be up there.

The Stones have written almost as many great songs as the Beatles so why aren't they up there on your list?

Frank Hovis
18 minutes ago, jm51 said:

The Stones have written almost as many great songs as the Beatles so why aren't they up there on your list?

I don't think they have but as I'm not a Beatles fan I'm not going to get drawn into a Stones vs Beatles argument.  Do your own top five, it's only opinions.  My sister would have ABBA up there and I couldn't say that she'd be wrong to do so.

Bedrag Justesen

Stones and Beatles are truly awesome. Love them both. Though in a way I wish Mick and the band had stopped live performance in 1980. I'll always remember John, Paul, George and the drummer in their prime, whereas Stones are now imprinted as wrinklies.

Gives people a chance to see them I guess.

Always amusing that Stones image was street fighting man, hard knock bad boys from the wrong side of the tracks. Sex, drugs and Mars bars. By contrast, Beatles were flowered up posh peace and love man, with George Martin classical gas. The truth being the complete opposite with Stones being nice middle class schoolboys, whereas Beatles were proper tough kids from the working class arse of Merseyside.

Back when Eric's was in it's pomp, the bands would usually be found in the surrounding Mathew Street pubs before gigs. Along with bumping into Declan MacManus, Shane MacGowan, Joe Jackson, or the usual scouse cohort, like Pete Burns after working at Probe Records on the corner, you would find all sorts nestling in bar corners.

In The Grapes, often sitting quietly reading Liverpool Echo by himself at the bar, Allan Williams, the Beatles first manager, he famously drove them to Hamburg. He loved to talk to anybody and everybody, fantastic stories, a lovely gent.

I always said to him, one day they should make a film about you. Which they did - The Man Who Gave Away The Beatles.

Bedrag Justesen

I always thought one day it would be brilliant to write a book.

A crime thriller, maybe not horror, no magic, no wizards, no dragons, something for grown-ups.

What I really fancy doing is weaving lyrics from my favourite songs into the narrative, hey, maybe into the plot. I could choose one of my favourite bands and do the whole book featuring their words. It worked great for Stephen King, and nobody has really done anything similar lately. Which band, hmm, what Eagles, could base it around 1860s goldrush South Dakota, outlaws, gunfights, robbing trains....

No! I've made up my mind, I'm going to write a book with songs by another of my all time favourite bands.

Blue Oyster Cult !!!!

Oh..... 

http://www.wbur.org/artery/2015/12/15/blue-oyster-cult-rowling

• 1 month later...

I’ve seen a lot of live bands, but IMO this is one of the best I’ve ever seen, early 80s Judy Tzuke band. Shame the rhythm section then went to play for Quo.... 

https://youtu.be/OaI-V2V3kdw

agree on people like the Beatles, ABBA.

for the Stones I think their greatest hits are with few equals, but I find their general oeuvre pretty crap, actually.  Be it ever so unfashionable I think early Queen and early Dire Straits worth an honourable mention. 

• 3 weeks later...

A band not mentioned much is Slade. For their singles, they were a pop band but they were a rock band on their albums. If you've only ever heard their singles, check out an album or two of theirs.

Archived