• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Heroes and heroines

Recommended Posts

Whilst I don't think I'd have liked him as a person:

Alfred the Great

Without him there would have been no England, Britain, or UK.  He carried an idea from the depths of a tiny defended promontory in the Somerset Levels and turned it into a nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst I don't think I'd have liked him as a person:

Alfred the Great

Without him there would have been no England, Britain, or UK.  He carried an idea from the depths of a tiny defended promontory in the Somerset Levels and turned it into a nation.

He wasn’t a very good cook though. o.O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really into heroes, but here's someone I admire (not for saving lives; although he tried): Freeman Dyson.

He's been described as spending his career "at 90 degrees to the mainstream" (coming up with all kinds of crazy ideas); at 94, he's still doing bloody excellent work; he should possibly have got a piece of the Nobel prize with Feynman, Tomonaga & Schwinger; and he's a perfect gentleman.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine (like me, a total nobody) dropped him an email, out of the blue, to ask about something, and he replied straight away with some really helpful suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeDavola said:

A fondness for Northern Irish alcoholics, for one...

Which is fair enough.

Didn’t realise that they were all northern Irish but yes on the alcoholic thing. 

Bet @The XYY Man knew this and it is merely for effect 

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

That was my last dinner party. Shame you didn't make it.

Only go to dinner parties if I can take my laundry to be ironed whilst I eat and drink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, One percent said:

Didn’t realise that they were all northern Irish but yes on the alcoholic thing. 

Only the first two. I was still impressed by the number from NI on the list. Something to be proud of!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

I see a theme there. 

:)

Perhaps there may be a connection...!

;)

Starter for ten:  Which two of my favoured five enjoyed a drunken sword-fight with each-other when one of them landed his helicopter on the others lawn...?

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

Perhaps there may be a connection...!

;)

Starter for ten:  Which two of my favoured five enjoyed a drunken sword-fight with each-other when one of them landed his helicopter on the others lawn...?

 

XYY

Keith moon and Oliver Reed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

I did not miss eight's post.

In fact, I was inspired by it...!

;)

 

XYY

I'd not heard of him.

Most of us, if we found that we were football geniuses, would put in the effort to get into the England team.  The only effort he put in was to get more drugs by impersonating police officers.

Total loon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That was my last dinner party. Shame you didn't make it.

You just can’t trust the Royal Mail these days to deliver. I’m sure @One percentand myself would have made it if we’d got the invite xD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One percent said:

Free food. Course we would. 

Definitely....and hooking up with CP to hear all his off the record juicy celeb insights and off the record gossip.

Whats not to like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

Definitely....and hooking up with CP to hear all his off the record juicy celeb insights and off the record gossip.

Whats not to like?

Well I would be worried that we might have to wear yellow wellies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Definitely....and hooking up with CP to hear all his off the record juicy celeb insights and off the record gossip.

Whats not to like?

Thankfully my hob-nobbing days are over.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Well I would be worried that we might have to wear yellow wellies 

Only if @The Masked Tulip sets the dress code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd not heard of him.

Most of us, if we found that we were football geniuses, would put in the effort to get into the England team.  The only effort he put in was to get more drugs by impersonating police officers.

Total loon!

I hadn't either - but he is my new hero.

He's like the druggy version of Frank Worthington..! :)

My favourite football player of all time was a goalie called Alan Starling who I saw play for both Northampton Town and Huddersfield Town against Hartlepool United in the mid to late 70s.

Once the play was at the other end of the field, Starling - who also was a clubland comedian in YORKSHIRE - would chat with Hartlepool fans behind his goal, and would even go so far as to bum cigarettes off them..!!!

Bastard still owes me ten Embassy Regal...!

;)

 

XYY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.