• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

Annual Landlord Deposit Ripoff

Moved out of our Flat at beginning of Feb.

In terms of deductions we accepted a couple of items being:

50 for some extra cleaning

100 for inventory check

However Landlord has decided we should pay for faulty fixtures and fittings and damage caused by said faulty fixtures and fittings:

1. After we had moved out but still tenants the Plumber came to fix a leaking ballvalve. When I went to the flat there was no pressure in the boiler. So I filled to half a bar. Checked everywhere - no apparent leaks so filled to just below 1 bar. Left it for an hour (to degas) and then switched on. The boiler immediately started making loads of banging noises and then the PRV opened and pissed a load of water out. - Land Lords wants 100 for that

2. The dishwasher leaked ll over the kitchen floor due to a faulty seal and float switch. The kitchen floor is a timber laminate so completely unsuitable and caused bubbling at the seems . The dishwasher leaked again in front of me and the land lord. He wants 350 for this

3. The bathroom radiator is basically a door stop and when someone opens it the door levers the radiator which has broken the clip holding it. I think my doddery FIL did this when he opened the door - he wants 50 for this

4. The tap on the Bidet doesn't work (it never has) and we don't use it because if that messy we would have a shower. He wants 100 for that. 

5. He also wants 100 for some patchy painting that was as a result of having to clean up persistent seasonal mould.

Have said I will pay Clean and Inventory and on a 'commericial basis 5 although I could probably argue FW&T. 

We paid this cnut over 16k for a 13 month tenancy. No issues other than jnr's noisy outbursts. Was very flexible in allowing unrestricted viewings in notice period. 

As the landlord is being a greedy arse, I would play likewise and claim the lot back. Even for the stuff where you probably are not liable. 

It also sounds like he is looking for betterment. So, for example the laminate floor, 350 would be the price to replace with new. He is not allowed to do that and can only charge a proportion based on age. 

What a completely greedy bastard. 

6 hours ago, Gloommonger said:

Dispute it with the deposit company. It's a simple process. My ex landlord tried similar and got fuck all.

As below.Don't give him fuck all.

2 hours ago, One percent said:

As the landlord is being a greedy arse, I would play likewise and claim the lot back. Even for the stuff where you probably are not liable. 

It also sounds like he is looking for betterment. So, for example the laminate floor, 350 would be the price to replace with new. He is not allowed to do that and can only charge a proportion based on age. 

Ditto.

We've been through this before.The deposit guy comes round and says 'fair wear and tear ' and then LL goes for more.Just refuse to pay.I wouldn't personally accept any charges at all and fight them all.

When you go to the arbitrator at the deposit scheme,if it's around a £100 they just pay out both parties as it's cheaper than hearing the case.,

£16k over 13 months is a lot of cash.The cunt can pay for his own carpet cleaning.

On the issue of allowing viewings,I don't at all and just refer the LL to my sol.If they want entry for anything other than a maintenance inspection,they can get a court order.And in all my years of renting,I've not had one yet,.

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

He sounds like a man who likes to play it by the book.

I presume therefore that HMRC are aware of his rental activities, and that if he does have a mortgage on the property it will be a proper BTL one.

xD

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting-tax-evasion

I'd let them know he's got a rental income.Apprarently some 900,000 haven't been declaring.

Edited by Zanu Bob

And this is why I would rather camp out in a layby than deal with rentals again. I'll spare everyone the tedious details of the landlord twattery we've dealt with over the years only to say they have been varied and infuriating in equal measure.

As has been said, challenge him on his claims through the dispute service. It's all you can do really other than trying to appeal to his decent side  - which, going by what you are saying, would be a pointless exercise anyway.

Tenants should really be able to check how many times a deposit has gone into dispute with a landlord in the same manner as a landlord can check references before deciding to take them on. It would certainly help weed out the dickheads.

6 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

He sounds like a man who likes to play it by the book.

I presume therefore that HMRC are aware of his rental activities, and that if he does have a mortgage on the property it will be a proper BTL one.

xD

Well if the mortgage was taken out after 2013 (i think) it will show up here as  "additional price paid transaction " if it is a BTL purchase with a BTL loan but  the heading could also mean the place was bought at auction or by a company 

https://houseprices.io/

25 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Well if the mortgage was taken out after 2013 (i think) it will show up here as  "additional price paid transaction " if it is a BTL purchase with a BTL loan but  the heading could also mean the place was bought at auction or by a company 

https://houseprices.io/

Is it legal to write to your landlord something along the lines of:

"I would like confirmation that the property which I am renting has been i) obtained via a commercial or buy to let mortgage, or bought outright without credit and ii) that all appropriate income has been declared to the Inland Revenue and tax paid as required.  I require this information to check that insurance on the property remains valid for the period of the rental."

as a kind of fuck you wind up?

36 minutes ago, wherebee said:

"I would like confirmation that the property which I am renting has been i) obtained via a commercial or buy to let mortgage, or bought outright without credit and ii) that all appropriate income has been declared to the Inland Revenue and tax paid as required.  I require this information to check that insurance on the property remains valid for the period of the rental."

You could. Nothing to stop you.

12 hours ago, wherebee said:

I replied in one response that if I really wanted to have been difficult I could have gone to the council about the substandard hot water supply which is a breach of the Housing Act 2004. We didn't as we had so much on at the time with emigrating from Australia. Of course we could write to the current tenant outlining how to raise a complaint with the council. 

In response to his latest whine

My offer yesterday was full and final. As discussed I am not paying for fixtures and fittings issues that are the Landlords responsibility. 

I am not trying to be unreasonable but my reading of the regulatory guidance on these matters makes it quite clear the distinction between what a Tenant is liable for and that which falls to the Landlord. If I had really wanted to be difficult I would have raised the issue of the Kitchen hot water supply with Enfield Council early on in the tenancy as its grossly non compliant with the relevant Building Regs which are called up in the Housing Act 2004 guidance. Despite my wife's protests I didn't. Had I done you would have been looking at a 4 figure bill for a Mains pressure tank or Combi boiler. 

As far as I am concerned:

We paid you over 16000 pounds in rent without any delay, ever
We looked after the place and caused no problems bar our 2 year olds noisy outbursts
We were very reasonable in allowing unrestricted access for viewing in the notice period. If RM is correct I assume you have already re-let the property?
We handed you back a very clean and presentable property - indeed I have all the screen shots of the photos and descriptions from rightmove.....

My wife and I have properties in Australia - periodically fixtures and fittings go wrong. In the absence of any obvious vandalism by the tenants We replace them at our expense as a tax deductible cost. I presume it is the same position here. 
18 hours ago, Zanu Bob said:

As below.Don't give him fuck all.

Ditto.

We've been through this before.The deposit guy comes round and says 'fair wear and tear ' and then LL goes for more.Just refuse to pay.I wouldn't personally accept any charges at all and fight them all.

When you go to the arbitrator at the deposit scheme,if it's around a £100 they just pay out both parties as it's cheaper than hearing the case.,

£16k over 13 months is a lot of cash.The cunt can pay for his own carpet cleaning.

On the issue of allowing viewings,I don't at all and just refer the LL to my sol.If they want entry for anything other than a maintenance inspection,they can get a court order.And in all my years of renting,I've not had one yet,.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting-tax-evasion

I'd let them know he's got a rental income.Apprarently some 900,000 haven't been declaring.

I may well do that. Perhaps thats why he is so keen to get me to pay the fixtures and fittings as he cant claim as a taxable expense. 

I know he has a mortgage because their insurers made a visit. 

22 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd probably add (3) to your offer but that would be it; the rest isn't down to your actions.

I would in other circumstances but the radiator stops the door from opening fully. I am fairly certain this is a Building Regs / Plumbing code non conformity. I have a good set of pictures. 

27 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I would in other circumstances but the radiator stops the door from opening fully. I am fairly certain this is a Building Regs / Plumbing code non conformity. I have a good set of pictures. 

I know nothing of the regs, but fitting a radiator where it can be hit by a door, and not putting a door stop in to prevent the door from hitting the radiator is clearly retarded.

27 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

My offer yesterday was full and final. As discussed I am not paying for fixtures and fittings issues that are the Landlords responsibility. 

I am not trying to be unreasonable but my reading of the regulatory guidance on these matters makes it quite clear the distinction between what a Tenant is liable for and that which falls to the Landlord. If I had really wanted to be difficult I would have raised the issue of the Kitchen hot water supply with Enfield Council early on in the tenancy as its grossly non compliant with the relevant Building Regs which are called up in the Housing Act 2004 guidance. Despite my wife's protests I didn't. Had I done you would have been looking at a 4 figure bill for a Mains pressure tank or Combi boiler. 

We looked after the place and caused no problems bar our 2 year olds noisy outbursts
We were very reasonable in allowing unrestricted access for viewing in the notice period. If RM is correct I assume you have already re-let the property?
We handed you back a very clean and presentable property - indeed I have all the screen shots of the photos and descriptions from rightmove.....

My wife and I have properties in Australia - periodically fixtures and fittings go wrong. In the absence of any obvious vandalism by the tenants We replace them at our expense as a tax deductible cost. I presume it is the same position here. 

Don’t concede you caused any problems, with a bit of luck he’ll say something about your toddler’s noise that sounds mental to a disinterested third party.

Take pictures of everything and anything that is not 100% perfect when you move in. Then include comments on the inventory check and email to date stamp.

Even a small smear on a window. If they try to demand you get them cleaned for leaving - just present the evidence that they weren't fully cleaned when you moved in so you will be leaving them in.a similar state. Very little they can say to that. Do this for everything. 

Any issues or demands of money from the landlord just send these as evidence to the middle man.

Chances of them getting anything is close to zero. In fact faced with the evidence most would just give up and not bother. 

22 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Don’t concede you caused any problems, with a bit of luck he’ll say something about your toddler’s noise that sounds mental to a disinterested third party.

One complaint about our two year old crying at night. If he raises this before the DPS this will make him look pathetic. 

22 hours ago, One percent said:

The irony is this guy is a commercial kitchen designer and fitter so he has no excuse as regards knowing what is a suitable floor surface is. 

When I spoke to him he said loads of people put that type of flooring in. My reply was well people may well put a wilton carpet in but as for suitability and lets not forget what your day job is. 

9 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I may well do that. Perhaps thats why he is so keen to get me to pay the fixtures and fittings as he cant claim as a taxable expense. 

I know he has a mortgage because their insurers made a visit. 

Nice reply.You're being much more reasonable than I ever am.

The attempts by various LL's and LA's to get me to pay for betterment over the years have worn me down.We've rented some really nice properties over the years,I've generally found it's the newer more leveraged LL's who bitch about the pennies.He sounds like one.

What amazed me at my last but one place was when the deposit scheme guy came round,literally walked upstairs,round downstairs and then said it was fine in less than five minutes(he said some properties they're in for hours).I thought we'd be in for a few quid here and there but he said no.It's their definition of wear and tear that matters,not the LL's.It's important to remember that.

When I asked said bloke about it,he told me that some of the properties he goes to get smashed up.That's when you lose your deposit.

As for viewings,I think you've been very generous.I once had an LA look me in the eye and tell me that because viewings were in the contract,that I had to let them conduct them.My soliticitor contacted her promptly on her return to her office and informed her a court order would be required.Suffice to say,we didn't have any viewings.

LA's/LL's are generally bullies  -with exceptions of course.

Good luck,let us know the outcome.

Edited by Zanu Bob

8 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

One complaint about our two year old crying at night. If he raises this before the DPS this will make him look pathetic. 

You can't.it's irrelevant.Noise pollution is a council issue not a Landlord one.

The council would dismiss it out of hand.

Falling foul of noise regs takes effort  and persistence.