• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

London 40 years ago, seems like a different country

35 minutes ago, NTB said:

Photos like that make me rather sad about all the good that has been lost and the shit that has been introduced. I can't help feeling that from that starting point, we should have ended up with something a lot better than what we have now. :(

It's the London I remember from my childhood, but I also remember it as being very grimy and dirty and run down. For example the tramps round the brazier, that was a common sight, unthinkable today really. Yes we have homeless beggars but they are not in the same league. London is ghastly, overcrowded and no longer in any real sense British, but it is at least a bit tidier and cleaner now. In the old days there was soot, dogshit and litter strewn everywhere, even in upmarket districts. 

5 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

It's the London I remember from my childhood, but I also remember it as being very grimy and dirty and run down. For example the tramps round the brazier, that was a common sight, unthinkable today really. Yes we have homeless beggars but they are not in the same league. London is ghastly, overcrowded and no longer in any real sense British, but it is at least a bit tidier and cleaner now. In the old days there was soot, dogshit and litter strewn everywhere, even in upmarket districts. 

Indeed, its not all bad. 

A couple of hours in London even as recently as the mid 80s was enough to turn your snot black.

55 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

No we don't.

We've got homeless people, who mostly don't beg.

And beggars that drive home every evening.

30 minutes ago, 201p said:

lodnol.thumb.png.e6f73633414ea0d1faf0938cf59dfd1e.png

I was looking at the So-Called BBC pages& Streetview last night, trying to identify the exact spot in Spitalfields where the beggars and brazier were. Oddly, the street frontages are different, but still old. Either ean odd trick of perspective or some rebuilding with old brickwork.

22 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Interesting photos as you say but I doubt if many would feel all that nostalgic, it looks shit.

I was thinking that. The only thing that appeals is the lack of people and cars, otherwise it looks pretty bloody awful.

56 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I was thinking that. The only thing that appeals is the lack of people and cars, otherwise it looks pretty bloody awful.

well - I remember a much greater sense of space (born out by the photos) but a much harder grind day to day for my parents and grandparents (daily food shop, few white goods for labour saving).  And a constant layer of grime in London.  Used to go to my great grandmothers flat in Putney in the 70's and remembering the windows being back speckled.  Thinking about it, she must have been born in about 1880...!

I would say those street photos in the So-Called BBC link are mainly 1950s and 1960s rather than say late 1970s. 

By the late 1970s London's main streets were already becoming regularly congested with lengthy traffic queues and traffic jams   By then in central London you were also increasingly likely to be accosted in the street by beggars just out of the blue.

Even so it was a far better place then than now - a tremendous amount has been lost.

Edited by twocents

2 hours ago, twocents said:

I would say those street photos in the So-Called BBC link are mainly 1950s and 1960s rather than say late 1970s.

All the photos on the So-Called BBC website are dated, and the details of the pictures are consistent with the dates. I am going by car/van models (Cortina, Transit, Humber Super Snipe, etc.), dated car registration plates, a shop called 'A Taite and Sons (1964) Ltd', a UHF TV aerial, and STD dial codes on a business advert.

There are loads of dating clues if you know what to look for.

13 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

All the photos on the So-Called BBC website are dated, and the details of the pictures are consistent with the dates. I am going by car/van models (Cortina, Transit, Humber Super Snipe, etc.), dated car registration plates, a shop called 'A Taite and Sons (1964) Ltd', a UHF TV aerial, and STD dial codes on a business advert.

I just want the  orange type two VW van

It does look grim! The dates seem accurate to me; that looks like a G-reg Triumph Herald in the first photo,which would make it a 1968/69 car, and almost new in 1970. The last photo, Belthaven Street, has the initials LEB OF painted on the house. The London Electricity Board used to do that to houses which were due for demolition, and had had their electricity supply cut off. Though there should be two 'F's. The poor old dear in the doorway must have had a miserable time living there.

2 minutes ago, jay67 said:

It does look grim! The dates seem accurate to me; that looks like a G-reg Triumph Herald in the first photo,which would make it a 1968/69 car, and almost new in 1970. The last photo, Belthaven Street, has the initials LEB OF painted on the house. The London Electricity Board used to do that to houses which were due for demolition, and had had their electricity supply cut off. Though there should be two 'F's. The poor old dear in the doorway must have had a miserable time living there.

You should see it now. o.O

The Watney Market photo (5th one down): looks like people have moved into the tower on the right before it's even finished. It looks as if the ground area underneith it is still being filled in. O.o

Thinking about it...that tower was built around the same time as Grenfell Tower. :/

I'll take the blue type 1 Beetle in the first photo! B|

5 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

Yes I saw the dates posted by the So-Called BBC and the car models etc - as well as the lack of congestion - and I still stick to my comments and that in the main they were well before the late 1970s.

If the photos are meant to be representative the lack of traffic is more representative of the 1950s.

Edited by twocents