• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Toys R us gone

I think this was part of the 1980s corporate Americanisation of British shopping. Toy shops before Toys R Us were mostly small places where you got served by an assistant and there wasn't a huge stock. Now that all the supermarkets, pound shops, Argos etc have got into toy selling, plus of course the internet, there probably isn't such a need for a dedicated toy superstore. 

9 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I think this was part of the 1980s corporate Americanisation of British shopping. Toy shops before Toys R Us were mostly small places where you got served by an assistant and there wasn't a huge stock. Now that all the supermarkets, pound shops, Argos etc have got into toy selling, plus of course the internet, there probably isn't such a need for a dedicated toy superstore. 

Just the internet really.

I've posted before that most bricks and mortar shops in town centres are going to disappear one by one.  High rents and rates make them throughly uncompetitive; add to that the difficulty and cost of parking and carrying anything big and it's a lemon.

Most retail that survives the interent will be out of town US type malls that can compete on price.  I expect in-town shoe shops, clothes shops, outdoor shops etc. to go the way of bank branches.

In town centres the existing shops will be replaced by housing, hotels, and leisure venues (gyms, coffee shops, pubs, cafes, soft play areas) with the odd convenience store.  Whilst the transition period of empty shops and charity shops makes it look like a town in decline once the transition is completed they will be much improved and be nice places to spend time.

I wouldn't touch town centre commercial retail property with a bargepole.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Just the internet really.

I've posted before that most bricks and mortar shops in town centres are going to disappear one by one.  High rents and rates make them throughly uncompetitive; add to that the difficulty and cost of parking and carrying anything big and it's a lemon.

Most retail that survives the interent will be out of town US type malls that can compete on price.  I expect in-town shoe shops, clothes shops, outdoor shops etc. to go the way of bank branches.

In town centres the existing shops will be replaced by housing, hotels, and leisure venues (gyms, coffee shops, pubs, cafes, soft play areas) with the odd convenience store.  Whilst the transition period of empty shops and charity shops makes it look like a town in decline once the transition is completed they will be much improved and be nice places to spend time.

I wouldn't touch town centre commercial retail property with a bargepole.

That's what they want to do in my area.  They want to encourage people live in the centre, in order to "enrich it" and boost the night time economy...but then they want to build 85 houses on a car park next to a nightclub...A few noise complaints later, and it'll be gone...

11 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

That's what they want to do in my area.  They want to encourage people live in the centre, in order to "enrich it" and boost the night time economy...but then they want to build 85 houses on a car park next to a nightclub...A few noise complaints later, and it'll be gone...

I seem to recall that some councils (think Hastings was one of them) are trying to encourage hipster types to set up little work from home type businesses in city centres. Not sure how they were doing this though - something to do with  making change of use easier I think. 

Of course it never occurs to them to lower the rents and car parking charges!

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Cripes! I will now have to buy my NPN driver transistors elsewhere.

Try the internet. :)

there is a Maplin round the corner from me. I’ve gone in occasionally to buy bits and always walk out shaking my head at the prices. 

12 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

I seem to recall that some councils (think Hastings was one of them) are trying to encourage hipster types to set up little work from home type businesses in city centres. Not sure how they were doing this though - something to do with  making change of use easier I think. 

Of course it never occurs to them to lower the rents and car parking charges!

I used to have a client in Hastings who owned a pub and also operated a B&B. Wanted to change the use of the B&B to a domestic residence and the council kicked up a fuss due to the lack of hotel rooms in Hastings. 

Just another barely relevant anecdotal. 

On the news very early this morning that Steph was interviewing some poor bloke who didn't really know what to say to her about toysrus.
He thinks people don't go to out of town places to shop anymore and that the high street shops are more successful.

7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

On the news very early this morning that Steph was interviewing some poor bloke who didn't really know what to say to her about toysrus.
He thinks people don't go to out of town places to shop anymore and that the high street shops are more successful.

He's sort of right.  People don't go (so much) to the retail parks, but go to the high street.

The problem is, they don't shop, but have a look round then have a chat with their friends over a coffee.