• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Wintery questions.

1. What is the optimal strategy for clearing a snowy path which is used three times a day by visitors during a period of intermittent heavy snow and freezing temperatures forecast for 5he next week?

2. When should it be safe again to travel by road and air from Scotland to Europe?

4 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

1. What is the optimal strategy for clearing a snowy path which is used three times a day by visitors during a period of intermittent heavy snow and freezing temperatures forecast for 5he next week?

2. When should it be safe again to travel by road and air from Scotland to Europe?

1.  Sign at both ends of the path saying 'path closed'

2. Sunday. 

3 hours ago, steppensheep said:

1. Pee on it.

2. Scotland is in Europe.

break bottles on the path so there is plenty grip with the glass poking through the ice/snow plus if people fall you'll be able to see the path by the drops of blood.

it's never 100% safe to travel so keep doing quantitative risk assessments until you get a risk level you're happy with

10 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Use brush and shovel to remove as much ice and snow as possible. Put salt on path. 

Anyone else love the crackling sound salt makes when you put it on ice :) 

Where in Scotland do you want to travel from? Tbh, I wouldn't want to be travelling until Monday at the earliest... You'd probably get a better answer if you provided more details...

10 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Loads of rock salt for the first; it's also reassuringly gritty underfoot. If the path gtes wet then put more on as it dissolves.

Problem is if you don't already know about the use of rock salt on paths (like me) you are unlikely to have any in the house/to hand? And going to the shops or ordering online might not be convenient/speedy enough?! :( 

Good to know for the next snow panic tho! (Thanks!)

3 minutes ago, whocares said:

Problem is if you don't already know about the use of rock salt on paths (like me) you are unlikely to have any in the house/to hand? And going to the shops or ordering online might not be convenient/speedy enough?! :( 

Good to know for the next snow panic tho! (Thanks!)

Table salt will do, lots of it. But I do have 25kg sacks of it.

I'm in a mountainous European country at the moment. They do not scrape paths clear but clear the bulk of snow to leave an inch or two underfoot. Scraping and brushing paths is done by oblivious morons, it just creates an ice rink

Edited by Panther

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

I would have assumed so but we are trying to go low salt in our house so we don't even have much of that. Can I substitute with freshly ground black pepper?! :D

Actually here (in SW France) we have only had snow/ice day. (Yday.) All gone now but it was a bit slippery in the car yday, as we are rural and had to drive down some narrow up, down and winding lanes. 

Today we just have gale force winds. Quite scary and howling loudly.  Husband is a solid 100kg and nearly got blown over this afternoon when a sudden gust caught him in the back!  (That's never happened before!)

I put some food out of the birds earlier (as the wind makes it very cold outside)  and later saw several sparrows and several blue tits all hanging onto the edges of the bird table (with their claws dug in) - at the same time. (While getting serverely wind-buffeted.) They were jointly tucking in to what food I had provided for them, having apparently decided to suspend their usual need to obtain sole use of the bird table. Normally, it's one at a time only, as they hop on and off, and fight anyone who disturbs their 'turn'. But today, having managed to land, they couldn't risk too many flight manoevres I reckon, so a practical truce was called! :)  

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

I believe our council use Malden sea salt for the pavements.

At least they feckin ought to given the amount of council tax I pay :wanker:

If the path is rarely used, just leave it. its far easier walking on fresh or even slightly compacted snow and much safter underfoot.

I find poorly cleared and gritted paths a nightmare personally, especially if they are cleared then left to deteriorate into something worse than before  

2 minutes ago, ste said:

If the path is rarely used, just leave it. its far easier walking on fresh or even slightly compacted snow and much safter underfoot.

I find poorly cleared and gritted paths a nightmare personally, especially if they are cleared then left to deteriorate into something worse than before  

Right until it melts a bit in the March sunshine and then freezes into an ice rink.

Why does the OP presume to set the path for other people, in a way that cravenly follows the way our authoritarian overlords have set a route?

We each need to find our own path.

Better to sit by the path and give wise counsel to fellow travellers.

20 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Why does the OP presume to set the path for other people, in a way that cravenly follows the way our authoritarian overlords have set a route?

Says he whose horse has gone arse over fetlock.

27 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Ones farmers would descend instantly.

15 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Future proof your investment, in case you move somewhere with a bigger path, assuming it will fit on the ferry you can also drive it to Europe.

8 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I believe our council use Malden sea salt for the pavements.

At least they feckin ought to given the amount of council tax I pay :wanker:

Peasant. I only use Himalayan pink Rock salt for my paths. :Old:

No need anyway. I use these when things get slidey. Just march on past folk slipping their way down a hill. Work a treat.

81lRMdYMS4L._UY395_.jpg