• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

Energy Shortage Thread

I'm alright Jack.

It is thought unlikely that the situation will affect supply to households, but experts said there was a strong chance that industrial users could see their gas supply interrupted.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Really wish we'd sorted a box of firewood out and bought it in to the house. Ah well. 

Don't it will be Industry that gets knocked out of the supply line first

Don't worry the dutch interconnector is running flat out delivering electricity from the German Lignite fired power stations that were built as our coal fired and proposed coal fired power stations produced too much CO2 according to EU rules (Lignite produces even more) 

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Don't it will be Industry that gets knocked out of the supply line first

It's nice with the fire on. Just a lot more effort if you have to go and sweep the drift of snow from the log pile to get to it.

Just now, sarahbell said:

It's nice with the fire on. Just a lot more effort if you have to go and sweep the drift of snow from the log pile to get to it.

I'm signed off as I have dreadful Sinusitis . Sitting here with a blanket on my lap rather than the heating on. Anyway not feeling the cold in the Co-Codamol haze Im in which is making HUTH just about watchable. 

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Can't blame wind power on this one - The UK's fleet have been chucking out 8-9GW for days which is not far off Coal and ahead of Nuclear. 

Time they got a few hundred of the 10MW monsters deployed out in the North Sea. Electric cars for many might actually become an option then. Time they started pushing heat exchangers instead of gas heating as well (though you have to build the house properly for them to be any good which I assume is the reason they haven't taken off in the UK)

1 minute ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

For this reason I'm keeping our remaining bag and a half of coal for an emergency in case the gas does actually go off!

Good idea.

I can live with the gas going off as I have a couple of electric heaters but the electric going off would mean the gas heating wouldn't work either.  At that point it's wrapping mysefl in the duvet.

It's far colder than yesterday as I had to turn off the heating as it was too warm; now I keep feeling the radiators to make sure that they're still on.

Just now, swissy_fit said:

Time they got a few hundred of the 10MW monsters deployed out in the North Sea. Electric cars for many might actually become an option then. Time they started pushing heat exchangers instead of gas heating as well (though you have to build the house properly for them to be any good which I assume is the reason they haven't taken off in the UK)

I read a few weeks back that the UK is on course to produce approx 150twh of gas from biodigestion of wastes - this is then cleaned up and fed into the mains. Thats about 17% of current annual UK demand which is pretty impressive. That will offset quite a few deliveries from Qatar or Russia who are our marginal suppliers. 

Another project I have some connections with is that London Underground are looking at utilising the heat reserve (which is huge) which is in the tube network as a heat source for ground source heat pumps. 

22 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Don't worry the dutch interconnector is running flat out delivering electricity from the German Lignite fired power stations that were built as our coal fired and proposed coal fired power stations produced too much CO2 according to EU rules (Lignite produces even more) 

On the bright side, we probably paid to build those power stations.

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I read a few weeks back that the UK is on course to produce approx 150twh of gas from biodigestion of wastes - this is then cleaned up and fed into the mains. Thats about 17% of current annual UK demand which is pretty impressive. That will offset quite a few deliveries from Qatar or Russia who are our marginal suppliers. 

Another project I have some connections with is that London Underground are looking at utilising the heat reserve (which is huge) which is in the tube network as a heat source for ground source heat pumps. 

Excellent plan but what if the Scousers object?

We should invest more in more power generation. No matter how you look at it we import lots of electricity and electricity demand is likely to go up. If/ when electric cars take off we'll needs loads of electricity. Even electrifying rail tracks means we need loads more electricity.

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

We should invest more in more power generation. No matter how you look at it we import lots of electricity and electricity demand is likely to go up. If/ when electric cars take off we'll needs loads of electricity. Even electrifying rail tracks means we need loads more electricity.

Not sure its that big. TFL uses 1 twh a year most of which goes on rail. TFL is as big as all the other rail activities (in terms of passengers) in the UK combined. 

16 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Wind is over 10GW - impressive

I remember back in the golden days on TOS members like Bogbrush:wanker: Cells :wanker: :wanker: and Gameover:wanker::wanker::wanker: among others telling me that wind would never work - wouldn't produce what one small power station would. 

I can only see projects to add 7GW or so of wind power capacity in the near future, this is good but I expected more, thought the UK were going really big on this. Now that the real monster turbines are becoming available, wouldn't it make more sense to swap out the turbines planned for the Dogger Bank arrays for 8-10MW turbines and double/treble the capacity on what is AFAIK the prime piece of offshore wind real estate?