• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

An example of caring bosses looking after staff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5457553/NHS-hospital-charges-stranded-nurses-big-freeze-accommodation.html

Nurses and healthcare staff are urgently needed to help out at two Welsh hospitals because of the bad weather.

Cardiff and Vale University Health Board has appealed for any qualified nurses and healthcare staff who can help as other struggle to get to work in the snow. 

Meanwhile a claim has been made that stranded nurses in Wales were charged up to £30 to stay overnight in hospital student accommodation during Storm Emma

^^^BIB, that’s disgraceful!

In these parts we have volunteer 4x4 owners who ferry doctors and nurses to work.

Pity they didn’t think about all the care workers also. I spoke to a woman who has had to make long detours to reach old folks who get home care. The employer has told her that she can’t claim for extra mileage. FFS a lot of the roads have been impassable due to snow drifts.

It's not really clear from the story but when a similar story about one of the local hospitals (I forget which) a nurse mentioned she'd booked a bed giving the impression that staying overnight was fairly routine and that there were bookable guest rooms for staff.

To which you would expect a charge to apply and £30 sounds reasonable.

Though "Nurses charged their usual rate for guest bedrooms" doesn't have the same ring about it.

I could be wrong but I'm withholding my outrage (for now).

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

It's not really clear from the story but when a similar story about one of the local hospitals (I forget which) a nurse mentioned she'd booked a bed giving the impression that staying overnight was fairly routine and that there were bookable guest rooms for staff.

To which you would expect a charge to apply and £30 sounds reasonable.

Though "Nurses charged their usual rate for guest bedrooms" doesn't have the same ring about it.

I could be wrong but I'm withholding my outrage (for now).

If I had ever been faced with such a charge I wouldn’t have went in to work at all. Not everyone has money, even £30, to spare!

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

Meanwhile a claim has been made that stranded nurses in Wales were charged up to £30 to stay overnight in hospital student accommodation during Storm Emma.

That's clearly ridiculous.

Next thing they'll be charging staff to park at hospitals.

1 minute ago, Economic Exile said:

If I had ever been faced with such a charge I wouldn’t have went in to work at all. Not everyone has money, even £30, to spare!

Where I work there are several people with long driving commutes including myself though though one guy has 80 miles and in the summer that will be taking him two hours each way if no problems.

At busy periods people do sometimes stay up in B&B or Travelodge because you don't want to get home after eight pm only to be having to leave at six in the morning.  And this is without shift work.

The guy driving 80 miles each way will be spending thirty quid on fuel. If the office had three or four guest bedrooms at £30 a night then I think midweek they would be full.

2 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

That's clearly ridiculous.

Next thing they'll be charging staff to park at hospitals.

Indeed!

Ridiculous charging anyone to park to go to work! I’m sure there was a case last year where hospital workers had racked up huge parking charges for refusing to pay. 

I won’t do any job these days where I incur costs to work whether it’s parking charges, uniform costs or spending an unpaid day to find out about a job. No thanks. I go to work to earn money for me....not to help an employer with costs!

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Where I work there are several people with long driving commutes including myself though though one guy has 80 miles and in the summer that will be taking him two hours each way if no problems.

At busy periods people do sometimes stay up in B&B or Travelodge because you don't want to get home after eight pm only to be having to leave at six in the morning.  And this is without shift work.

The guy driving 80 miles each way will be spending thirty quid on fuel. If the office had three or four guest bedrooms at £30 a night then I think midweek they would be full.

I’m assuming and I may be wrong, that these nurses staggered in the appalling weather, did long shifts and then couldn’t get home because of the appalling weather. 

If im correct, then if I were one of these nurses, I would have struggled to get home any way I could and then not gone back until the roads were safe. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well that’s understandable but I doubt these people are being thrown the scraps i.e. minimum wage or not much above it!

1 minute ago, One percent said:

I’m assuming and I may be wrong, that these nurses staggered in the appalling weather, did long shifts and then couldn’t get home because of the appalling weather. 

If im correct, then if I were one of these nurses, I would have struggled to get home any way I could and then not gone back until the roads were safe. 

If that is the case then it's rude.

12 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Whenever I’ve had employees stranded in the snow I nip out to collect them in a 4x4 and put them up for free in my house.

You’ve missed a money making opportunity there. Should be charging them 30 quid. B|