• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Website Apps

I frequently get a pop up on websites exhorting me to download their App for a better user experience or somesuch.

I never have because I can read it fine without the App and don't want to clutter my phone with Apps that will presumably send me a notification every time they have a new story uploaded.

I also get offered these at conferences and again have not bothered with them.

Is there a benefit to these or am I better advised to continue to ignore them?

I'd imagine if you install an app, and grant it the permissions it asks for, it would allow the app author to obtain more information about their 'customer' (you), thier like/dislikes, browsing habits and behaviour etc. That sort of feedback would then allow sites to tailor the type of content they provide. Plain sites are limited in these respects by what is possible with the browser alone.

Personally I've never installed an app because a site has asked me to. But I also dislike the whole browsing the web experience you get on a small device. Everyone's different.

Many (perhaps most) website apps these days are just front ends to a html render machine that just displays the output from an internet server.  There doesn't seem to be any actual benefit to doing it all in-browser, except maybe caching.

I pretty much don't install any of them.