• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Wight Flight

In a rut

The lovely Mrs Plan and I have got into a bit of a rut in the last couple of years - partly because we work too bloody hard and also because our kids can empty spare cash from an account quicker than a Nigerian with a dodgy ketboard.

Far too many events missed, friends ignored and nights spent just collapsing in front of the tv with a bottle of vino collapso.

So I have decided that we need to get a bit more active. Alternating weeks we each need to arrange to do something that will get us up and out of the house.

Budget has been set at a maximum of £100 per 'thing'

Bearing in mind I live near Woking so London is within easy reach, for when it is  my turn am working on things like:

Visit to the Churchill War rooms

Segway riding at Bracknell.

Trip to Woking Theatre

See a TV programme / radio programme being recorded

Inviting friends that we haven't seen for ages for a BBQ

So, any good suggestions?

18 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

The lovely Mrs Plan and I have got into a bit of a rut in the last couple of years -

So I have decided that we need to get a bit more active. Alternating weeks we each need to arrange to do something that will get us up and out of the house.

I'd suggest binning the kids off at the grannies for the weekend and spending some quality time together at home, just the two of you.

Easy to get in this rut - time flies and commitments don't seem to get any less whilst you have children in tow. Thing is to grease the wheels a bit (and make it more cheaper too). Have a travel nag or two packed and ready that you can just pick up and go - beach stuff, chill bag, small camping stove etc. So for instance you could take advantage of the weather and there's loads of nice beaches not he south coast, really enjoyed an on spec trip to Brighton for instance, I was actually going down there to pick up an Ebay purchase.

3 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

I'd suggest binning the kids off at the grannies for the weekend and spending some quality time together at home, just the two of you.

The kids are 17 and 15 - not too keen to go to grannies (actually they are - but she lives in Florida!)

And we both work from home so getting out and about is a better plan.

6 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Easy to get in this rut - time flies and commitments don't seem to get any less whilst you have children in tow. Thing is to grease the wheels a bit (and make it more cheaper too). Have a travel nag or two packed and ready that you can just pick up and go - beach stuff, chill bag, small camping stove etc. So for instance you could take advantage of the weather and there's loads of nice beaches not he south coast, really enjoyed an on spec trip to Brighton for instance, I was actually going down there to pick up an Ebay purchase.

I've found found using ebay cpurchase collection as a means to a day out starts getting expensive in purchaes and a problem with where to put all the ebay purchases.

3 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I've found found using ebay cpurchase collection as a means to a day out starts getting expensive in purchaes and a problem with where to put all the ebay purchases.

To be fair the day out in this case was a complete sideline - but it did force me to go there. Currently undergoing a bit of a clear out so hear you on the second point!

Big deciding point on what business I might get into next space requirements and logistics will be very high up on the list!

37 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

The lovely Mrs Plan and I have got into a bit of a rut in the last couple of years - partly because we work too bloody hard and also because our kids can empty spare cash from an account quicker than a Nigerian with a dodgy ketboard.

Far too many events missed, friends ignored and nights spent just collapsing in front of the tv with a bottle of vino collapso.

Budget has been set at a maximum of £100 per 'thing'

Bearing in mind I live near Woking so London is within easy reach, for when it is  my turn am working on things like:

Visit to the Churchill War rooms

Segway riding at Bracknell.

Trip to Woking Theatre

See a TV programme / radio programme being recorded

Inviting friends that we haven't seen for ages for a BBQ

So, any good suggestions?

Can't you just stay in on Facebook, like normal people?

3 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Go shoot some guns at Bisley.

Walking in the country is always a great way to bond as a family, take a rucksack with sandwiches and it is a cheap day out which everyone will enjoy.

Going to suggest both of those. Also Fly fishing, or a weekend away to S. Downs (Birling Gap area). Can't beat time in the rural outdoors

Edited by Hopeful

4 minutes ago, Fossildog said:

Go shoot some guns at Bisley.

Walking in the country is always a great way to bond as a family, take a rucksack with sandwiches and it is a cheap day out which everyone will enjoy.

I don't want to bond as a bloody family - it is time for some 'Me and Mrs Plan' time.

And son is currently going through the mandatory training at Bisley so don't want to do that as he is a much better shot than I am and I don't like losing!

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I don't want to bond as a bloody family - it is time for some 'Me and Mrs Plan' time.

And son is currently going through the mandatory training at Bisley so don't want to do that as he is a much better shot than I am and I don't like losing!

Still a fetish club.

Lates at the Science museum. Like daytime but with booze and no kids.

Swimming in the Thames at Laleham reach.

Authentic Chinese food at "London Hong Kong" (on the A4 near Heathrow).

Walk around Virginia Water lake.

Just now, Hail the Tripod said:

Lates at the Science museum. Like daytime but with booze and no kids.

Swimming in the Thames at Laleham reach.

Authentic Chinese food at "London Hong Kong" (on the A4 near Heathrow).

Walk around Virginia Water lake.

Liking the first three. But walking around Virginia Water Lake ?

1. I am not a landlord

2. I don't have a range rover sport OR evoque.

3. I am not a yummy mummy or nanny.

I think they would pretty soon spot my bog standard wellies and flat cap and have me ejected before I even got as far as the turnstile.

Buy this book or similar:

51oFwOYWjrL._SX266_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Do one (or two short ones) every free weekend, combine with a pub lunch.

Absolutely fantastic way to spend a year; I did the same for Cornwall about six years ago and managed 47.  Without the structure of a book you'll only go the ones that are an easy drive away, which you've probably been to before, and miss some great if slightly out of the way places.

Although it will be a cold day in hell when I drive the "roads" around Polruan again.  Next time it's the foot ferry from Fowey. 

It's one of the best things I ever did and whilst I woudl like to do similar for Devon it doesn't work anywhere near as well because of the additional driving time.

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Liking the first three. But walking around Virginia Water Lake ?

1. I am not a landlord

2. I don't have a range rover sport OR evoque.

3. I am not a yummy mummy or nanny.

I think they would pretty soon spot my bog standard wellies and flat cap and have me ejected before I even got as far as the turnstile.

It's beautiful, there's Roman ruins, exotic gardens, polo pitches. They even shot some Harry Potter there. No entry requirement.

Having spent some time in Scotland recently, we found ourselves looking at maps/leaflets/websites seeking out places to visit and kept ourselves busy.

Back here in Hampshire, we rarely "go anywhere". Still haven't been down to the Beaulieu motor museum nor the Victorian living re-enactment just nearby. In ten years.

I suppose it's "because it's there". We could go at any time. So we never go. Unlike on holiday where your time there is limited and you don't have anything else to do anyway.

We did once make a sort of "bucket list" of places to visit and had some success in treating it like a "menu" picking places off week by week for a while so I think the original idea is good.

Just now, DTMark said:

Having spent some time in Scotland recently, we found ourselves looking at maps/leaflets/websites seeking out places to visit and kept ourselves busy.

Back here in Hampshire, we rarely "go anywhere". Still haven't been down to the Beaulieu motor museum nor the Victorian living re-enactment just nearby. In ten years.

I suppose it's "because it's there". We could go at any time. So we never go. Unlike on holiday where your time there is limited and you don't have anything else to do anyway.

We did once make a sort of "bucket list" of places to visit and had some success in treating it like a "menu" picking places off week by week for a while so I think the original idea is good.

Yes - we had a German exchange student over last year and did more in that week than we have done since. Got another one coming this year so will get to do the eye and Thames River cruise again at least. Not sure about the Imperial War Museum though :)

5 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

It's beautiful, there's Roman ruins, exotic gardens, polo pitches. They even shot some Harry Potter there. No entry requirement.

It was only a matter of time until someone else found Harry Potter as irritating as me.