• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

British driving licenses to be invalid in Europe

10 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5464141/British-driving-licences-invalid-EU-Brexit.html

British driving licences could be invalid in the EU after Brexit - forcing drivers to buy a new international permit.

European Commission documents revealed that the UK's departure from Brussels could see the end to the 'mutual recognition' of driving licences.

The papers, which were used 'for presentational and information processes only' said that 'all current EU law-based rights, obligations and benefits cease' if the UK becomes a non-EU nation.

Good.  Let’s hope it is reciprocal so that we can keep the very poor driving standards off our roads here 

Ive no problem with that.

EE truckers are a nuisance - see ee truck driver falling asleep...

19 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5464141/British-driving-licences-invalid-EU-Brexit.html

British driving licences could be invalid in the EU after Brexit - forcing drivers to buy a new international permit.

European Commission documents revealed that the UK's departure from Brussels could see the end to the 'mutual recognition' of driving licences.

The papers, which were used 'for presentational and information processes only' said that 'all current EU law-based rights, obligations and benefits cease' if the UK becomes a non-EU nation.

Good.  Let’s hope it is reciprocal so that we can keep the very poor driving standards off our roads here 

There could also be issues in the recognition of MOTs, insurance & operators licences too..

5 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Bollocks I have a Swiss one now - they took my Brit one away and sent it back to Swansea! I hope they will recognise a Swiss one in the UK when I visit.

No they wont you will have to have a green card with a permit whilst standing on one leg with your cock out

3 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

No they wont you will have to have a green card with a permit whilst standing on one leg with your cock out

Sounds about right.

Just found out that my lad will actually have to take the test again (written and practical) to be able to drive in the USA.

Right pain in the ass.

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

If it's not then this lot are bloody appallingly bad at negotiating.

There are a lot of people making a lot of money out of the Brexit preparations. Like lawyers in divorces, it's hardly surprising that they're happily complicating the living shit out of things in order to keep the easy money coming for as long as possible.

In any rational sort of negotiation the two sides would sit down and agree that there were unattractive consequences for both sides and that it made sense all round to simply honour the license validity. Which is probably what will happen eventually, after the leeches have had their fill.

27 minutes ago, spygirl said:

And that stupid woman crashing into cars on the islamification thread

30 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Bollocks I have a Swiss one now - they took my Brit one away and sent it back to Swansea! I hope they will recognise a Swiss one in the UK when I visit.

It is on my wall. I use it as a dart board.

Speaking of which, I had to renew my driver's licence last week. When I got the new once they sent me dire warnings that I have to cut up the old one and return it to them... and pay for the postage.. But what happens if you do not return the old one or it gets lost in the post? Do they send the SAS around to kick in your windows?

16 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Speaking of which, I had to renew my driver's licence last week. When I got the new once they sent me dire warnings that I have to cut up the old one and return it to them... and pay for the postage.. But what happens if you do not return the old one or it gets lost in the post? Do they send the SAS around to kick in your windows?

When I did my trailer test a couple of years ago, it meant that I had to upgrade my paper version to a card.  I had heard many stories where people had lost classifications off their licences (such as bike & truck) as they had passed their tests many years ago, and the DVLA lost many of the records in relation to the test certificates.  I was planning to request a new one (claim it was lost), and keep the paper licence as a backup.  Luckily the DVLA do have website where you can check all your classifications, and my bike test was on there.

11 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

When I did my trailer test a couple of years ago, it meant that I had to upgrade my paper version to a card.  I had heard many stories where people had lost classifications off their licences (such as bike & truck) as they had passed their tests many years ago, and the DVLA lost many of the records in relation to the test certificates.  I was planning to request a new one (claim it was lost), and keep the paper licence as a backup.  Luckily the DVLA do have website where you can check all your classifications, and my bike test was on there.

Is this your way of telling me that the DVLA employs people to check for returned cut up old licences and they send the wrath of the DVLA on those who do not return them?

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Is this your way of telling me that the DVLA employs people to check for returned cut up old licences and they send the wrath of the DVLA on those who do not return them?

They couldnt give a shit..seeing as they're dealing with millions of drivers.  As in the case above, people were still driving a bike or truck on their licence without having it on their licence, thus they weren't covered under their insurance.  If you were caught, they would be buggered...Its as if they never passed the test...

My wife got to the point where she needed to renew her provisional licence (she got a full EU licence in the meantime). 

We sent the paper bit back with a letter (can't find the card bit. Told them we'd destroy it if we found it). Haven't had the SAS kick the door down yet. 

2 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

They lost years worth of data (mid to late 80 `s-early 90S ) IIRC as a result of a fire but have never made the loss public  

1 minute ago, Long time lurking said:

They lost years worth of data (mid to late 80 `s-early 90S ) IIRC as a result of a fire but have never made the loss public  

Ahh right....that could explain it.  A few years ago, Watchdog covered the issue quite extensively...

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Ahh right....that could explain it.  A few years ago, Watchdog covered the issue quite extensively...

There`s plenty of people around South Wales that had the nod about the years, and blagged licence entitlements  i can`t remember what years exactly as the fire was in 2003ish 

I have heard this was the reason for the photo card licence change ,a way of of recovering the data, how true that is i don`t know

Edited by Long time lurking

3 hours ago, dgul said:

international drivers permit costs £5.  Big deal.

Out of principal I will not buy one. See how the EU like several thousand pounds worth of holiday spending disappearing all for the sake of a £5 driving permit.

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Ignore the fuckers. The Germans gave me the same crap about returning my residence card when I left. Yeah, as if I'm queuing at the government office all bloody day just to return a bit of paper.

Sounds like something that won’t affect 99% of people. Ever.

Most countries will let you drive on a foreign licence for a limited period..  so the only reason you would be likely to need one is if you are relocating for a period of time. In that case £5 for a driving license is probably the least of your hassles. It is typically EU though..  there’s absolutely no reason I can think of not to agree reciprocity.

6 hours ago, One percent said:

Absofuckinglutely.

You wanna play hardball? Well fuck you and your drivers - see how that works out for you.

Honestly, these cunts think that if they shout enough it will get them somewhere. It's like an annoying yapping dog next door.

6 hours ago, spygirl said:

I wonder how many of our Somali community are driving around on Dutch or Danish driving licences?