• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Right, the bilberries have point blank refused to ferment.

This new experiment was started on Friday night and is Damson.

So ingredients for 1 bottle, handful of Damsons and 3 teaspoons (heaped) of sugar.

This is what it looked like in the bottle tonight after 4 days and in the glass.

20190827_164126s.thumb.jpg.38f0bd1a85f7ac2296e3bd23b8dcc2e6.jpg20190827_213206s.thumb.jpg.f7740663d5d4ef3e61e82afed122a3ff.jpg

Went off like a rocket, had to open it over the bath as it was spraying everywhere and the vigorous eruption brought forth the cast from the bottom of the bottle so it looks like cresta (its frothy man).

Anyway quite nice and plummy without being fruity and eminently quaffable.

Conclusion, damsons work and the colour is great.

On 21/08/2019 at 21:03, Chewing Grass said:

Right, fermentation and things of interest.

Been branching out from the ginger beer and did ginger and rhubarb which fermented like an express train, so much . after 3 days it was like letting off a bottle of champagne.

Have also done so bilberries (or whimberries or blaeberries depending on your geographical persuasion) that made a beautiful deep red syrup and has a great colour but refused to ferment.

Even thought I had forgot to add yeast so redosed it and still nothing.

Thought it might be lack of acidity so did another bottle and added the juice of 1/2 lemon to the bilberry syrup.

Two days later and this one hasn't budged.

Can only think that the berries have some anti-yeast property.

Picture doesn't do the colour justice.

bilberry.thumb.jpg.361347d9c38e1d3213cde5ec791fd84f.jpg

Have bilberries got enough natural yeast to produce fermentation? Better with Damsons

Never tried doing it this way, always use a dried yeast to get fermentation when brewing

1 minute ago, ninjaborrower said:

Have bilberries got enough natural yeast to produce fermentation? Better with Damsons

Never tried doing it this way, always use a dried yeast to get fermentation when brewing

Use dried yeast in all bottles and they (bilberries) eventually did start to ferment, Damsons were slow off the mark as well.

Got some elderberries today so elderberry lemonade is being fermented.

Raspberry lemonade goes like an express train in the fermentation stakes.

Tip the bottles upside down now for 24 hrs and snift the sediment out like they do with champagne the calm the bottle in the fridge prior to drinking.

0 to drinkable in 4 days.

6 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Use dried yeast in all bottles and they (bilberries) eventually did start to ferment, Damsons were slow off the mark as well.

Got some elderberries today so elderberry lemonade is being fermented.

Raspberry lemonade goes like an express train in the fermentation stakes.

Tip the bottles upside down now for 24 hrs and snift the sediment out like they do with champagne the calm the bottle in the fridge prior to drinking.

0 to drinkable in 4 days.

I know some can get results from simply the natural yeasts from the skins such as damsons,

I have to get out and get blackberrys pretty soon, normally try on getting 20 lbs for at least 5 gallons of blackberry wine, havent had much luck with elderberrys the last couple of years,

I think blackberry and elderberry wine is the king of the hedgerow brew

Edited by ninjaborrower

1 minute ago, ninjaborrower said:

I know some can get results from simply the natural yeasts from the skins such as damsons,

I have to get out and get blackberrys pretty soon, normally try on getting 20 lbs for at least 5 gallons of blackberry wine, havent had much luck with elderberrys the last couple of years,

I think blackberry and elderberry wine is the king of the hedgerow brew

Was shocked how few elderberries there are now, when I last picked them in 1998 they were hanging like bunches of grapes now the bushes are few and far between and what clumps there are have been half stripped by the birds.

Blackberries are fantastic this year, if you find a good bush (North side is usually better than South side) they can almost be supermarket quality and appear to be much higher in sugar this year (not tart).

Had some steaming hangovers off elderberry wine in the past, its like the port of the country wines.

4 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Was shocked how few elderberries there are now, when I last picked them in 1998 they were hanging like bunches of grapes now the bushes are few and far between and what clumps there are have been half stripped by the birds.

Blackberries are fantastic this year, if you find a good bush (North side is usually better than South side) they can almost be supermarket quality and appear to be much higher in sugar this year (not tart).

Had some steaming hangovers off elderberry wine in the past, its like the port of the country wines.

I know , its really hard finding elderberrys now, its a shame because they add a real dark burgundy colour and flavour to the wine,

The last couple off years i have made just blackberry wine and will end up doing the same this year by the looks off it,

I know a sweet spot along a couple off fields that can give me pounds and pounds off them,, they end up in apple pies when not making alcohol !

Attempting my first Damson wine from my wine book by C J J Berry. Never tried it before but so far all is going well

Elderberry wine is one of my favourites. I usually start making it this time of the year and by December make a lovely mulled wine with it. Yet to visit my secret location for my elder berries. I just hope I am not to late as the birds for the last two seasons have taken much of the bearing fruit.

Those are decent berries.

Found that the best place for elderberries is the edge of a woodland trust wood abot 4 miles from my house as they tend to leave it alone by not cutting it like the farmers and council does.

Need to get some more blackberries but have not found a good large patch yet this year as the hedgrows have been mostly machine cut in the last month.

Only grapes and malt have all the nutrients that yeast needs for a full ferment. With anything else, the ferment can need a bit of help. Spray dried malt or grape concentrate will work. Sometimes only a small amount is needed to get the ferment going.

No luck with my elderberry picking today. Third year in a row I have come back empty handed. I can only conclude a) I should start picking in early August as it appears the growing season now longer extends into early September b) birds and Eastern Europeans with their country ways are getting there first, and stripping the trees and hedges c) what was left on the trees was dried and useless that could be attributable to weather changes. As all other fruits this year have been bountiful and rich I can only conclude the growing seasons are finishing earlier each year.

8 minutes ago, Agent ZigZag said:

No luck with my elderberry picking today. Third year in a row I have come back empty handed. I can only conclude a) I should start picking in early August as it appears the growing season now longer extends into early September b) birds and Eastern Europeans with their country ways are getting there first, and stripping the trees and hedges c) what was left on the trees was dried and useless that could be attributable to weather changes. As all other fruits this year have been bountiful and rich I can only conclude the growing seasons are finishing earlier each year.

You must be down South, elderberries are to be had up North with some bushes having finished and others still have green unripened berries on.

Took a carrier bag out with me when I went out on the bike and got half a bag but they were off about a dozen separate bushes, there wasn't a single really good bush though.

Edited by Chewing Grass

I am down south. Up until 2014 there were loads. Nearly all picking sessions I would come back with enough for 2-3 demijohns worth.  I heading up North tomorrow for a long weekend so will try my luck there if I get a bike ride in the country or best along the canal.

On 11/09/2019 at 20:56, Agent ZigZag said:

I agree, i think im leaving it to late for elderberrys, they are drying to early and waiting till september and early autumn isnt the best plan, i dont think EE  pickeys are getting them when indigenous pickeys like me are leaving it to late