• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Car insurance

My jaw drops when I read these stories, are all they all parking their Ferraris on council estates or something?  £900 AVERAGE????  Saved £1,400? Saved £4,600?

I declare 20k miles per year, some business use, and drive a hot, well lukewarm, hatch (140bhp 2 litre TD).  My premium is £365 a year and would be a lot lower without that high mileage.

How do you get to £900 average?  Either a lot of people are being ripped off or there are a hell of a number of Lamborghinis out there. 

WE all know it can cost a fortune running car - but if you've got two or more vehicles on the driveway you could save thousands of pounds by switching your insurance.

Recent research found that Brits will be forking-out a record more than £900 [in insurance] to keep their car on the road by the end of the year.

But according to MoneySavingExpert (MSE) drivers with a multi-car policy - where you have more than one car on the same policy - should be shopping around for separate policies to see if they can save money.

AND those with separate polices should also be looking at swapping to a multi-car policy to see if they can save a packet on their premium too.

MSE gave the example of one reader who had three cars on a multi-car policy and saved an eye-watering £1,400 by switching them to three separate policies.

But another customer with three cars managed to save £4,600 a year because they took out an Admiral multi-car policy instead.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5731403/the-simple-trick-that-could-save-thousands-of-pounds-off-your-car-insurance/

The cost of insuring your car is set to hit a record average of £900 by the end of the year- here’s how to cut your costs now

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5403947/the-cost-of-insuring-your-car-is-set-to-hit-a-record-900-by-the-end-of-the-year-heres-how-to-cut-your-costs-now/

I had a nice letter threatening me with a fine from the dvlc yesterday.

My old clk is not being used and is parked on my drive at home, the insurance ran out last December but it is taxed and mot'd but not insured. 

So now you have to sorn a vehicle even if it's taxed, but without insurance. 

21 minutes ago, SirGaz said:

I had a nice letter threatening me with a fine from the dvlc yesterday.

My old clk is not being used and is parked on my drive at home, the insurance ran out last December but it is taxed and mot'd but not insured. 

So now you have to sorn a vehicle even if it's taxed, but without insurance. 

Why wouldn't you sorn it? Given the tax band I bet you've given the Government £100 in tax you didn't need to in the last 3 months :)

I didn't realise that; I'm not sure many do.  So as soon as your insurance expires you have to SORN it and either reclaim the tax or let it expire but there will be a period when it is both taxed and SORNed.  That way you are still legally confirming ownership and also confirming that it won't go on the road and will ping if you go past one of those numberplate recognition vehicles.

It makes some kind of sense but I bet lots are caught by that.

4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My friend's is £2000 after her husband pranged someone's car. 

That's exceptional though surely, we're not all having accidents every year.  I still can't get to that £900 average.  When it's come up at work mine is one of the highest owing to my mileage.  £250 is about the average.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's exceptional though surely, we're not all having accidents every year.  I still can't get to that £900 average.  When it's come up at work mine is one of the highest owing to my mileage.  £250 is about the average.

You've presumably got several decades of driving experience though - try knocking 30 years off your age.

Just now, This Time said:

You've presumably got several decades of driving experience though - try knocking 30 years off your age.

Absolutely but it is that average that gets me.  I know £2k is typical for a 17 or 18 year old but the vast majority of drivers, 80% maybe, are going to be in the range 30 - 70 and paying similar to me.

Dodgy areas and younger drivers. Mr Dipsy and I have 3 cars insured for just under £1000 (leafy Surrey and old gimmers), got to add 17 year old daughter to one of the cars mind you in a couple of weeks!

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

My jaw drops when I read these stories, are all they all parking their Ferraris on council estates or something?  £900 AVERAGE????  Saved £1,400? Saved £4,600?

I declare 20k miles per year, some business use, and drive a hot, well lukewarm, hatch (140bhp 2 litre TD).  My premium is £365 a year and would be a lot lower without that high mileage.

How do you get to £900 average?  Either a lot of people are being ripped off or there are a hell of a number of Lamborghinis out there. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5731403/the-simple-trick-that-could-save-thousands-of-pounds-off-your-car-insurance/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5403947/the-cost-of-insuring-your-car-is-set-to-hit-a-record-900-by-the-end-of-the-year-heres-how-to-cut-your-costs-now/

Just imagine how high the average would be if it included all those driving without insurance. 

42 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Dodgy areas and younger drivers. Mr Dipsy and I have 3 cars insured for just under £1000 (leafy Surrey and old gimmers), got to add 17 year old daughter to one of the cars mind you in a couple of weeks!

Ouch. Has she passed her test yet?

44 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

Did you pick up on another thead that somebody (I forget) worked out that getting them a PCP on a small car ?Peugeot 10 something which came with comprehensive insurance was actually cheaper than the comprehensive insurance?

It has all got out of hand, and not just for insurance but for loads of different services. 

When I was little people got benefit by sticking with one supplier -- a sort of loyalty bonus, but really associated with saving the 'cost of gaining a new customer' coupled with increased knowledge of customer risk.

These days the standard behaviour is to rip-off the loyal customer, which is now so endemic that there is no assumption of loyalty anywhere.

If they wanted to help they'd change the law so that, on average, there was no disadvantage to the repeat customer (say, averaged over a 3-5 year timeframe).

Even gov does exactly the opposite -- it is standard policy that you can 'save money by switching suppliers'.  FFS -- this is exactly the same as saying 'we approve of suppliers ripping off loyal customers'.

9 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Did you pick up on another thead that somebody (I forget) worked out that getting them a PCP on a small car ?Peugeot 10 something which came with comprehensive insurance was actually cheaper than the comprehensive insurance?

one of the box companies says if you pay over £1200 a year car insurance you will save money with one of their boxes.

6 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Ouch. Has she passed her test yet?

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

No she hasn't so it's relatively inexpensive (about £350) for the Fiesta. 

I did see this, will look at costs more thoroughly at the time but when I compared the meerkat for a full licence at 17 the Fiesta was coming in at 1200 - 1500 (low annual mileage with her as main driver and us as named and a black box). 

Just now, sarahbell said:

one of the box companies says if you pay over £1200 a year car insurance you will save money with one of their boxes.

From the quotes I've seen most insurers won't insure younger drivers without a box.

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

It has all got out of hand, and not just for insurance but for loads of different services. 

Too right - my council tax bill for the upcoming year came this morning, finally tipped over £3000 per annum!

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Be careful with these. Especially if it is a shared car.

One of my son's friends went a couple of miles an hour over the limit twice and they cancelled his insurance. Makes it VERY expensive now as he has to declare that he has been refused insurance in the past.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Be careful with these. Especially if it is a shared car.

One of my son's friends went a couple of miles an hour over the limit twice and they cancelled his insurance. Makes it VERY expensive now as he has to declare that he has been refused insurance in the past.

For a sole driver on their own car .. yes. 

The girl next door has one fitted. It clearly doesn't detect that her phone is working most of the time she's in the car.

9 minutes ago, Dipsy said:

No she hasn't so it's relatively inexpensive (about £350) for the Fiesta. 

I did see this, will look at costs more thoroughly at the time but when I compared the meerkat for a full licence at 17 the Fiesta was coming in at 1200 - 1500 (low annual mileage with her as main driver and us as named and a black box). 

From the quotes I've seen most insurers won't insure younger drivers without a box.

We got a pretty good deal from Go Girl when he was learning and for the first year without a box.

Edited by Cunning Plan

It really is dependent on postcode. I have 12 years NCB, completely clean record, yet my insurance is crazy. It went up over £200 just by moving about 10 miles doen the road.

I can't imagine paying £300 a year for insurance. I remember paying £1000 when I was 18 and was repeatedly told it will come down as I get older, but it hasn't much. I think it'll be the next thing I stop paying for, because the odds of getting caught are so slim now if you avoid ANPR camera routes.

And even if you do the fine is what, £200?

FWIW, £1000 for an 18 year old isn't possible now. I believe the average 18 year old pays about £2500 now.

Got my insurance renewal this morning. Per usual I ring them up and tell them that I have a better quote for £50 less. See what they do. If they get within £10 of my figure I stay with them.

Edit: They offered me breakdown cover, which I am in the market for at the moment, with GF but I think it was more than going with GF direct.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

11 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Got my insurance renewal this morning. Per usual I ring them up and tell them that I have a better quote for £50 less. See what they do. If they get within £10 of my figure I stay with them.

I always check with the comparison sites before buying. Esure has usually been  the cheapest for me. If people find a cheaper quote, jot down the reference number from (e.g.) Confused.com, as I'm usually asked for this. Oddly enough, sometimes I've found an Esure quote on the site which is much cheaper than the Esure renewal quote in the letter received. It was about £100 difference once! They will just charge the amount from the site then,  with just the slight inconvenience of having to send copies of my NCBs to them for the "new" policy.

Rather than starting a new thread I just add it here

Just got a renewal quote for a 10-year-old pickup truck that never really gets used much as I work from home my insurance was £350 ish

But moved in with a partner to save money saving around £1000 a month but being a shit area within south London the renewal is £1058 even checking a few comparison websites best so far is £970

that's with 9 years no claims, So postcode plays a huge role when i switch to my mums address 10 minutes down the road but not on a council estate it drops to £420

Problem is it needs a new clutch too that's going be around £500, The joy of owning a car

Edited by DoINeedOne

On 09/03/2018 at 22:42, jay67 said:

I always check with the comparison sites before buying. Esure has usually been  the cheapest for me. If people find a cheaper quote, jot down the reference number from (e.g.) Confused.com, as I'm usually asked for this. Oddly enough, sometimes I've found an Esure quote on the site which is much cheaper than the Esure renewal quote in the letter received. It was about £100 difference once! They will just charge the amount from the site then,  with just the slight inconvenience of having to send copies of my NCBs to them for the "new" policy.

We've just renewed with eSure. They tried to stiff us for a price hike from £600 to £800 on the one but the online comparison site came in at £550 do that's been matched. The other policy saw a price reduction from £330 to £300 so I didn't bother shopping around as we're happy with eSure and have a positive experience of their claims handling. I doubt they'll ever make money from either of us after writing off a brand new SLK 🤪