• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Austin Allegro

Saudis and Russians: whom do we trust?

Something very odd going on in the meedja and Westminster at the moment. 

On the one hand, Saudi is being treated like a new lover by HMG.  We have Prince whatshisname meeting HMQ, politicians fawning over the towelheads saying how we're all great friends. The London Evening Standard had a full page editorial about how great Saudi is, and TWO half page adverts that basically said 'Trust the Saudis!'

On the other, you have Russia being treated like a pork chop at a barmitzvah. The foreign secretary making rude remarks about them and the So-Called BBC doing a 'when did you stop beating your wife' interview with one of their spokeswomen. 

What is going on? Can we trust the new Saudi regime? There have been rumours that the coup there was something to do with Trump - but if so, why is HMG and the media (who hate Trump) fawning over the Saudis? Are they just too dim to see a connection?

It's all gone John Le Carre. 

Just now, Byron said:

Saudi has lots of money and wants to spend it here.

Russia makes their own stuff.

So, the answer is,

'It's all about stuff.'

Thanks, I guessed it was probably something like that. 

Does the US have the same relationship with Saudi as we do? 

If so that would explain perhaps why Trump might want a more manageable, slightly more westernised ruler in place there. 

Neither.

If the Russians told me that the sun will be rising the next morning, I'd be up at sparrow's fart just to make sure.

The Saudi's are becoming far more accommodating because their main source of revenue is going to take a dive and they know it. The Royals themselves will literally be in the firing line so they've gone on tour to kiss a few arses and possibly reserve a couple of penthouses in London.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Neither.

If the Russians told me that the sun will be rising the next morning, I'd be up at sparrow's fart just to make sure.

The Saudi's are becoming far more accommodating because their main source of revenue is going to take a dive and they know it. The Royals themselves will literally be in the firing line so they've gone on tour to kiss a few arses and possibly reserve a couple of penthouses in London.

The main thing I admire about the Russians is their culture and their willingness to defend their national and cultural identity, and not to take any crap from people who affront it. (See for example that 'Russians and Somali pirates' video on Youtube). Other than that I don't have a great deal of time for them. These are perfectly normal values for a nation state to have and it was the norm in Britain also until the 1960s, it's just that these values have become so rare in the west now that we have to look to dodgy places like Russia for inspiration. 

3 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

The main thing I admire about the Russians is their culture and their willingness to defend their national and cultural identity, and not to take any crap from people who affront it. (See for example that 'Russians and Somali pirates' video on Youtube). Other than that I don't have a great deal of time for them. These are perfectly normal values for a nation state to have and it was the norm in Britain also until the 1960s, it's just that these values have become so rare in the west now that we have to look to dodgy places like Russia for inspiration. 

Yes, 'Mother Russia' certainly doesn't take any shit from anyone and that's to be respected though I'd argue their methodology in enforcing it is more often questionable than not.

I spent many years in the company of Russians when I was younger (weird as this sounds but my life has been a bit odd up until this point) and many of them were the sons and daughters of oligarchs and Russian politicians. The level of money floating around that lot was incomprehensible to the likes of me and they were, to a man and woman, extremely hard work. The one thing that always stuck with me was that you literally couldn't beleive a fucking word they said. It was almost like a game to see how much they could deceive you and get away with it. There was also a serious lack of respect for anyone who wasn't either monied or Russian, they absolutely couldn't have given less of a shit about the wellbeing of anyone or anything that didn't directly affect them. 

It's the reason I eventually completely severed ties with the lot of them. It was too difficult to handle...or tolerate. That's why all of this stuff on the news just doesn't surprise me in the slightest, it's just so Russian and if it's playing up to stereoypes, that's because they've done a damn good job at constructing one. IMO.*

*Disclaimer - I'm completely aware that the people I knew weren't your average Russian. That said it's not your average Russian making the decisions and fucking things up for everyone else.

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Yes, 'Mother Russia' certainly doesn't take any shit from anyone and that's to be respected though I'd argue their methodology in enforcing it is more often questionable than not.

I spent many years in the company of Russians when I was younger (weird as this sounds but my life has been a bit odd up until this point) and many of them were the sons and daughters of oligarchs and Russian politicians. The level of money floating around that lot was incomprehensible to the likes of me and they were, to a man and woman, extremely hard work. The one thing that always stuck with me was that you literally couldn't beleive a fucking word they said. It was almost like a game to see how much they could deceive you and get away with it. There was also a serious lack of respect for anyone who wasn't either monied or Russian, they absolutely couldn't have given less of a shit about the wellbeing of anyone or anything that didn't directly affect them. 

It's the reason I eventually completely severed ties with the lot of them. It was too difficult to handle...or tolerate. That's why all of this stuff on the news just doesn't surprise me in the slightest, it's just so Russian and if it's playing up to stereoypes, that's because they've done a damn good job at constructing one. IMO.*

*Disclaimer - I'm completely aware that the people I knew weren't your average Russian. That said it's not your average Russian making the decisions and fucking things up for everyone else.

Indians - do this in order to not lose a job

Chinese/Japanese - do this in order to not lose face

etc etc

Honesty and truthfulness (to strangers) is quite a rare cultural thing, and is I think one reason why the european model was so successful from 1500-2000 in global domination.  

I like Russian civilians.

I find Russian givernment employees variable.

Russian gangsters are a nightmare. Years ago, i was in a hired conference  room in moscow that 5 thugs burst in and shot up. Bastards took out the only vga connector.

I find saudis wierd and creeoy. Prone to whoring and drinking too much.

I trust no-one but myself.

And even I'm a bit of a dodgy cunt after eight pints.

I'm on to my tenth now seeing it's Friday - just in case anyone fancies a good, old-school webforum fight...

;)

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man

13 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I'm on to my tenth now seeing it's Friday - just in case anyone fancies a good, old-school webforum fight...

;)

XYY

Ten pints?:D If you can't get the key in the hole, don't drive! It's probably not your car.:Old:

31 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I'm on to my tenth now - just in case anyone fancies a good, old-school, webforum fight...

;)

XYY

im catching up fast,choose the topic...

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

OK then, I shall...!

All the so-called men that live within a twenty-mile radius of Stoke take it up the shitter...!

XYY

Blessed are the bog makers of Etruria, and Burslem. Worshipful are the products of Armitage and Shanks.

20 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

OK then, I shall...!

All the so-called men that live within a twenty-mile radius of Stoke take it up the shitter...!

XYY

em interesting,never had your prostrate milked ? must admit it takes a special sort of dirty bitch...

2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Surely that last bit is Potteries rhyming-slang....?

XYY

I believe you have SIS (Smutty Innuendo Syndrome). This is why you don't trust Wayne Kerr, but like Rohde und Schwartz.