• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Turned Out Nice Again

The Beau Brummel thread - gentlemen's couture

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Sorry TONA not clear to me the point of the thread - is this because you want to dress well as part of the new image thing and are meeting resistance/mockery? 

A little bit of that but mainly just general interest. The recent weight-loss has forced a reevaluation (aka. dumping) of my wardrobe and I was thinking of upping my style a bit. So out with the Asda £7 jeans and trainers in favour of designer gear, new shoes/ boots and stuff that actually fits!

For jeans, I think I've found my brand in Boss Orange, styles 24, 25 and 31, classic fit straight leg. I already had 1 pair of 34 waist in these (from a charity shop) which have garnered compliments in the past and have now sprung for 2x pairs of same @ 32 waist.

BO122G04J-K11@26.jpg

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

26 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Never heard of the Congo Dandies before, how the hell do they stop their designer gear from being nicked?

https://www.rt.com/news/323007-congo-fashion-brazzaville-sapeurs/

But how would they fence the stuff? I'm more impressed at how they keep the mud/ shyte off their clobber!

You often see these African Sapeurs in Paris. I've even spotted a few in London.

4 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

A little bit of that but mainly just general interest. The recent weight-loss has forced a reevaluation (aka. dumping) of my wardrobe and I was thinking of upping my style a bit. So out with the Asda £7 jeans and trainers in favour of designer gear, new shoes/ boots and stuff that actually fits!

For jeans, I think I've found my brand in Boss Orange, styles 24, 25 and 31, classic fit straight leg. I already had 1 pair of 34 waist in these (from a charity shop) which have garnered compliments in the past and have now sprung for 2x pairs of same @ 32 waist.

This is probably going to sound facetious but....    the Netflix revamp of "Queer eye for a straight guy" has been getting rave reviews and may be worth a watch if you are in the mood to "upstyle" your look.

Fine boxer but not a man I would be aspiring to emulate in any way!

Personally I think classic clothes are better on a man of a certain age, anything too outlandish looks like a foolish attempt to look too young. 

I'm picturing you rocking up at some date or other and climbing out of your yellow Fiat Multipla in a Daniel Craig suit... Hmmm

39 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Fine boxer but not a man I would be aspiring to emulate in any way!

Personally I think classic clothes are better on a man of a certain age, anything too outlandish looks like a foolish attempt to look too young. 

I'm picturing you rocking up at some date or other and climbing out of your yellow Fiat Multipla in a Daniel Craig suit... Hmmm

i wouldnt have the nerve to take the piss out of him

For cheap good quality clothes, tk maxx is your friend. Check their website every day or two and see what comes in. If a pair of trousers is the right waist size but too long, it's a simple and cheap alteration.

23 minutes ago, Melchett said:

And there was me thinking this was a thread where I could share my love of tweed. :(

ive always fancied a tweed jacket just for shits and giggles one with patches on but the question is where can you get mothballs for the full effect

Just now, stokiescum said:

ive always fancied a tweed jacket just for shits and giggles one with patches on but the question is where can you get mothballs for the full effect

Wilkos, Robert Dyas, any of those type of Ronco shops.

if you’re serious go on eBay and buy stuff for a few quid, rather than a high street retailer that’ll charge you ten times the price. Provided it doesn’t have moths, the beauty of tweed is it never wears out. The proper stuff is harder wearing and heavier than sacking material. And about as trendy and comfortable.

Good for you @Turned Out Nice Againfor trying to update your look and be stylish.

Many years ago I read or watched an interview with boy george (I’m not a fan) and one thing he said stood out for me. Can’t remember the exact words but basically along the lines of you can’t buy style it’s something to work at. Find out what suits you by experimenting and buying cheaply in charity shops. Now we have online sources. My penchant is for quality clothing made from wool supplemented by leather accessories.

Over the years I have found I agree with the boy george.....you can’t buy style!

For simplification these days I only wear black/dark grey and sometimes white/off white plus always something in royal stewart or black watch tartan.

I’m not bothered what others think but I’m often complemented about being stylish and well dressed. 

Still single though so it isn’t foolproof if you’re looking to hook up xD

Love that Congo Dandies clip - quite uplifting.  

I really like a bloke (or woman) to look a bit stylish.  Agree entirely with EE in that as you get older you kind of find your style - of course you have to have a bit of a eye for it in the first place.  Joe is also spot on with the TK Maxx tip and I would encourage looking in charity shops.  My bloke found a 'like new' Grenfell jacket (as worn by Prince Philip) in one a couple of months ago for £10.  Go to ones in upmarket areas for the best stuff though.

EE - don't tease - you don't want to date.

I like 'stealth dressing'. Wearing well cut, well made, well aged clothes that don't stand out too much. Beau Brummel said that if you cause people to turn their heads when you walk past them, you are not well dressed, and I tend to agree. 

1 minute ago, Miss S said:

Love that Congo Dandies clip - quite uplifting.  

I really like a bloke (or woman) to look a bit stylish.  Agree entirely with EE in that as you get older you kind of find your style - of course you have to have a bit of a eye for it in the first place.  Joe is also spot on with the TK Maxx tip and I would encourage looking in charity shops.  My bloke found a 'like new' Grenfell jacket (as worn by Prince Philip) in one a couple of months ago for £10.  Go to ones in upmarket areas for the best stuff though.

EE - don't tease - you don't want to date.

Great post about individual style Miss S! Totally agree with all of it.

Re dating.....perhaps if you lived in my rural area you’d give up?

I’m not adverse to going on a date but overall accept my life position that it’s quite unlikely that I’ll meet a good match at age 60 but you never know. Life is what it is. Sometimes we get a surxDprise.

I’ll leave the emoticon in the middle of the word this time because I like it there!

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Those who posted no photos, probably wear shell suits.:CryBaby:

Yes Mr Pin, you posted that very very cool graveyard photo. Very cool 👍🏻