• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I did mine in the shed..  vinegar marinade followed by salt / salt-petre / sugar rub  then rinced in the marinade again and finally coated with ground pepper and coriander seeds before drying.

Turned out pretty good..  will probably do again :)

Not tried it yet, but will probably give it a go when the weather gets drier.

A mate said his grandfather (a boer) would  hang it to dry under his bed.

Started curing and smoking my own bacon which very satisfying but need to perfect it as it’s a bit salty, so the last batch was made into lardons for mixing into home made sausages or making pea and ham soup.

On 28/03/2018 at 05:10, Captain Cavey said:

Not tried it yet, but will probably give it a go when the weather gets drier.

A mate said his grandfather (a boer) would  hang it to dry under his bed.

Started curing and smoking my own bacon which very satisfying but need to perfect it as it’s a bit salty, so the last batch was made into lardons for mixing into home made sausages or making pea and ham soup.

I had the same problem with bacon. What joint are you using? With belly, the higher fat content makes it harder to cure, so I switched to loin and that cures perfectly in 5-7 days for me with a cure of 4% salt, 2.5% sugar.

I don't make biltong, but thinner cut jerky using a dehydrator - very easy and enjoyable. The only difficult bit for me is getting the mix of spices right, but that's all part of the fun.

4 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

I had the same problem with bacon. What joint are you using? With belly, the higher fat content makes it harder to cure, so I switched to loin and that cures perfectly in 5-7 days for me with a cure of 4% salt, 2.5% sugar.

I don't make biltong, but thinner cut jerky using a dehydrator - very easy and enjoyable. The only difficult bit for me is getting the mix of spices right, but that's all part of the fun.

Good point. Belly - as loin cut is difficult to get here. Also, I’ve only used a dry cure - was yours a wet cure?

8 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

Good point. Belly - as loin cut is difficult to get here. Also, I’ve only used a dry cure - was yours a wet cure?

Yes I wet cure, turning once a day in the brine. Tbh I got pissed off with doing belly because I could go for 8-9 days and not see the meat firm up at all - at which point I'd throw a load more salt on just to get it cured and then find it way too salty.

One tip I did find online, though I make no claim as to whether it's a good idea or not, it certainly seems effective - if you're worried your cured bacon may be too salty, slice and cook a bit, and if it's too salty, just soak it in a bowl of water overnight. As I say, this might actually be a really bad idea, but I'm still alive and can vouch for it reducing the saltiness.

I tried soaking the entire cut for longer and kept changing the water. It was slightly less salty, but the only way to make it edible was soaking rashers. However this made it soak up the water and it cooked like commercial bacon (boils first and then fries). It also lost some of the smokiness.

Next attempt will be a wet brine and perhaps a loin cut.

Not one to waste anything, the salty bacon is great when combined into pork and beef sausages (just don’t add any extra salt)