• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

You cannot wear a turban here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-43356951

A student said he felt "victimised" when asked to leave a bar because he was wearing a turban.

Student Amrik Singh was told that Rush in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, had a "no headwear" policy.

Mr Singh recorded himself saying his turban is a religious requirement and is then asked: "I didn't think you were allowed to drink anyway."

disgusting. Some groups are allowed to wear attire that in my view is a political statement, yet this bloke was thrown out for wearing a turban. 

I don't understand it -- what sort of ignorant would you need to be to equate a turban with a baseball hat (I imagine that's what the rule is for)?  

Mind, I'm not sure what would have happened if the guy'd found his Kirpan...

My understanding is that due to robbing and violence in recent years that no one is allowed to wear helmets, balaclavas, hoodies etc so the complaining twat IMO just has to comply. No exceptions,

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

My understanding is that due to robbing and violence in recent years that no one is allowed to wear helmets, balaclavas, hoodies etc so the complaining twat IMO just has to comply. No exceptions,

So a hijab or burka is ok but not a turban which does not cover the face?  

3 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

Oh no....it had to happen eventually.

I'm in disagreement with EE.

Turbans don't cover the face so I can't see the reason for banning them.

On the other hand, I do see the argument for insisting Sikhs wear a crash helmet on motorcycles and scooters.  

1 minute ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Oh no....it had to happen eventually.

I'm in disagreement with EE.

Turbans don't cover the face so I can't see the reason for banning them.

On the other hand, I do see the argument for insisting Sikhs wear a crash helmet on motorcycles and scooters.  

I’ll disagree with both of you..  if there’s a no head wear policy I don’t see why baseball caps are any different to turbans..  they are both essentially fashion/cultural statements..  either allow everything or nothing but don’t start discriminating between one or the other. The law probably doesn’t agree with me.

As for Turbans on bikes/motor bikes..  no issue with this at all (as long as they are well attached).  Crash helmets should be entirely optional..  you risk nobody other than yourself, so it’s a life choice not a societal issue AFAIC.  Again, the law probably disagrees.

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

So a hijab or burka is ok but not a turban which does not cover the face?  

No that isn’t what I posted.

For clarification I think a turban is fine, after all it’s no different to me always wearing a hat!

Admittedly it’s stretching my tolerance when it comes to hijab even though it’s just a head scarf but for me burka is not welcome at all in Britain.

Edited by Economic Exile
Didn’t read original post properly!

5 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

The member of staff in question (Bouncer?) needs to be sacked. And then get educated about religion.

I don't agree -- unless the guy has a history of harassment (ie done it several times), then the problem almost certainly lies with the management and their training.  It is that that should be investigated and beefed up.  The bar/company should use this as a great exemplar to use in their internal training processes.  IMO the guy should be trained up / educated and keep his job.

Sacking the guy is just a 'being seen to do something' response for public consumption (so that people keep going), but isn't likely to ensure it doesn't happen again (with a replacement bouncer).

7 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I’ll disagree with both of you..  if there’s a no head wear policy I don’t see why baseball caps are any different to turbans..  they are both essentially fashion/cultural statements..  either allow everything or nothing but don’t start discriminating between one or the other. 

Nobody should be allowed to wear baseball caps.

Except Americans.

OK Maybe Canadians too.

4 minutes ago, Economic Exile said:

No that isn’t what I posted.

For clarification I think a turban is fine, after all it’s no different to me always wearing a hat!

Admittedly it’s stretching my tolerance when it comes to hijab even though it’s just a head scarf but for me burka is not welcome at all in Britain.

Sorry EE, I misunderstood. 

Im quite angry at some types of dress as I’m sure it is worn for political more than religious purpose. The turban does not fall into this category. 

9 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I’ll disagree with both of you..  if there’s a no head wear policy I don’t see why baseball caps are any different to turbans..  they are both essentially fashion/cultural statements..  either allow everything or nothing but don’t start discriminating between one or the other. The law probably doesn’t agree with me.

You've got to allow for faith.  If their religion decrees the turban and it doesn't otherwise offend then society should accept it.  It is closer to a 'law' than most people treat the actual law.

I'm a bit less accepting of the dagger -- I understand the religious mandate, but now this doesn't meet the 'doesn't otherwise offend'.  I'd be happy to have a discussion with a Sikh about this though, backed up with exactly how many times there's been an assault using a kirpan in the UK.

Combs and bangles are okay, though.

Anyway, I'm actually lots less accepting of the veiled face -- while this isn't so 'dangerous' as a knife, it does strike deep into the heart of how UK culture works and IMO doesn't meet the 'doesn't otherwise offend' rule. 

Clearly the 'kill all non-believers' is also right out.

6 minutes ago, dgul said:

I don't agree -- unless the guy has a history of harassment (ie done it several times), then the problem almost certainly lies with the management and their training.  It is that that should be investigated and beefed up.  The bar/company should use this as a great exemplar to use in their internal training processes.  IMO the guy should be trained up / educated and keep his job.

Sacking the guy is just a 'being seen to do something' response for public consumption (so that people keep going), but isn't likely to ensure it doesn't happen again (with a replacement bouncer).

Yeah, upon reflection you have persuaded me to change my mind on this. :) Getting sacked and then educated is perhaps a 'cart before horse' way of doing things.

It just boiled my pee that some people think headwear = person MUST be muslim and of no ther religion.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

You've got to allow for faith.  If their religion decrees the turban and it doesn't otherwise offend then society should accept it.  It is closer to a 'law' than most people treat the actual law.

I'm a bit less accepting of the dagger -- I understand the religious mandate, but now this doesn't meet the 'doesn't otherwise offend'.  I'd be happy to have a discussion with a Sikh about this though, backed up with exactly how many times there's been an assault using a kirpan in the UK.

Anyway, I'm actually lots less accepting of the veiled face -- while this isn't so 'dangerous' as a knife, it does strike deep into the heart of how UK culture works and IMO doesn't meet the 'doesn't otherwise offend' rule. 

Good post.  See bold. I don’t think that Sikhs get all stabby and it is part of their culture. So, on balance, I’m ok with it. They also do their stuff quietly and don’t rub others’ noses in it. The Jim jams and veils I think is done by some factions, not all, as a political act. 

My son had a Sikh in his rugby team at prep school. He wore a turban rather than a scrum cap. Probably just as useful.

But bloody useful as the opposition didn't want to flatten him in case it was seen as racist. He became a very useful weapon.

That said, this one sought out management and recorded the conversation. Makes him a trouble making twat in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

My son had a Sikh in his rugby team at prep school. He wore a turban rather than a scrum cap. Probably just as useful.

But bloody useful as the opposition didn't want to flatten him in case it was seen as racist. He became a very useful weapon.

That said, this one sought out management and recorded the conversation. Makes him a trouble making twat in my opinion.

Never realised that. If true. Firmly in the "Cunt" folder. 

1 minute ago, ccc said:

Never realised that. If true. Firmly in the "Cunt" folder. 

I read further and found out he's a trainee lawyer.  Now there is a reason to throw him out of the bar...

1 minute ago, dgul said:

I read further and found out he's a trainee lawyer.  Now there is a reason to throw him out of the bar...

Total cunt. Case closed. 

17 minutes ago, dgul said:

I’m less accepting..  religion is a lifestyle choice.  Whether you’re Christian, Muslim, Sikh, Jedi or pagan..  there is no scientific evidence to support any of them and as such should not be accepted in a modern society other than in the context of “you have the freedom to believe/say/live whatever way you like as long as it doesn’t interfere with anyone else’s freedom to do the same”.

Laws and rules should be applied to everyone equally or not at all.  No special pleading because your own special flavour of magical sky fairies / demons /Sith might disagree.

5 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I’m less accepting..  religion is a lifestyle choice.  Whether you’re Christian, Muslim, Sikh, Jedi or pagan..  there is no scientific evidence to support any of them and as such should not be accepted in a modern society other than in the context of “you have the freedom to believe/say/live whatever way you like as long as it doesn’t interfere with anyone else’s freedom to do the same”.

Laws and rules should be applied to everyone equally or not at all.  No special pleading because your own special flavour of magical sky fairies / demons /Sith might disagree.

👍 out of reps. 

I don’t think that wearing a turban to a bar does interfere with anyone else’ Freedo. So it passes that test. Agree, that this is the main test for anything that anyone chooses to do. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

👍 out of reps. 

I don’t think that wearing a turban to a bar does interfere with anyone else’ Freedo. So it passes that test. Agree, that this is the main test for anything that anyone chooses to do. 

In my mind neither do baseball caps or bowler hats..  I would allow all of them,  including turbans.  

As long as the rules apply fairly to everyone I have no issue. 

Just now, Libspero said:

In my mind neither do baseball caps or bowler hats..  I would allow all of them,  including turbans.  

As long as the rules apply fairly to everyone I have no issue. 

👍 out of reps. Agree. It is about consistent application of whatever rules are in place.