• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Micky mouse courses, chickens and roosting

Recommended Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5487089/Anglia-Ruskin-graduate-sues-university-Mickey-Mouse-degree.html

A graduate is suing her university for £60,000 over her 'Mickey Mouse' degree in international business strategy.

Pok Wong, 29, claims that Anglia Ruskin University made fraudulently misleading claims in its prospectus about high-quality teaching and career prospects.

She is seeking damages for a breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation, according to the Telegraph.

Ms Wong also claimed on Facebook that she was 'forcibly removed' from the stage during her graduation day for protesting about the quality of her course.

Her legal action is part of a growing trend by students seeing themselves as 'customers' who demand certain expectations are met, particularly after the rise in tuition fees.

 

She added that the prospectus claims about employment prospects and education quality encouraged her to move from Hong Kong to Cambridge to study.

The £60,000 she is asking for includes her tuition fees and living costs during the two-year course.

Ms Wong told the Sunday Telegraph: 'Although I graduated with a First Class degree in 2013, it is a Mickey Mouse degree.



Note that this illustrious university has gone down the route of two year degrees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

"Did you do a degree having been told by your university that you could expect a good career but found yourself flipping burgers and filling supermarket shelves? Call The Claims Guys to get your tuition fees refunded."


It's hard to judge people who were young and impressionable for being young and impressionable.
Go to uni, get a degree they said, it'll be brilliant they said, do you want fries with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Brilliant on her for making such a stand and also bring sufficiently intelligent and wise to be able to take a step back and assess the quality of what she was being taught rather than just trying to learn it.

It would be so funny if useless degrees from rubbish institutions became the next wave of ambulance chasing lawyers; I actually wouldn't discount it as it id a massive case of mis-selling an extremely expensive product.

"Did you do a degree having been told by your university that you could expect a good career but found yourself flipping burgers and filling supermarket shelves? Call The Claims Guys to get your tuition fees refunded."

We already have this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41984465

universities making false claims basically. 

Im surprised it has taken this long to begin to be questioned. 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:


It's hard to judge people who were young and impressionable for being young and impressionable.
Go to uni, get a degree they said, it'll be brilliant they said, do you want fries with that?

And meanwhile we have to import skills for the NHS and construction because we can’t be bothered to train our own youth up. 

They would have been much better pumping the money into vocational education rather than poor quality degree courses at third rate universities 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Brilliant on her for making such a stand and also bring sufficiently intelligent and wise to be able to take a step back and assess the quality of what she was being taught rather than just trying to learn it.

It would be so funny if useless degrees from rubbish institutions became the next wave of ambulance chasing lawyers; I actually wouldn't discount it as it id a massive case of mis-selling an extremely expensive product.

"Did you do a degree having been told by your university that you could expect a good career but found yourself flipping burgers and filling supermarket shelves? Call The Claims Guys to get your tuition fees refunded."

Tip of the iceberg.

I would be very happy to see other intelligent capable students take similar action, and especially at masters level.

The syllabus on many of the new degrees is a disgrace, jst a hotch potch of 'who we have available to teach' rather than a thoughtfuly constructed course.

However, I worry that the potential impact of the good cases and the just causes, will be spoiled by unjustified ambulance chasers who would have failed in education/life irrespective of the quality of their education.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sarahbell said:


It's hard to judge people who were young and impressionable for being young and impressionable.
Go to uni, get a degree they said, it'll be brilliant they said, do you want fries with that?

 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

We already have this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41984465

universities making false claims basically. 

Im surprised it has taken this long to begin to be questioned. 

And meanwhile we have to import skills for the NHS and construction because we can’t be bothered to train our own youth up. 

They would have been much better pumping the money into vocational education rather than poor quality degree courses at third rate universities 

I thought it was only two spendthrifts like One Percent who ran out of reps but I keep doing it recently.  So it will have to be:

114472-200.png

For both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Tip of the iceberg.

I would be very happy to see other intelligent capable students take similar action, and especially at masters level.

The syllabus on many of the new degrees is a disgrace, jst a hotch potch of 'who we have available to teach' rather than a thoughtfuly constructed course.

However, I worry that the potential impact of the good cases and the just causes, will be spoiled by unjustified ambulance chasers who would have failed in education/life irrespective of the quality of their education.

I'm sure that it will be the latter but as we have seen time after time once the floodgates are open the sweeties are handed out to everyone.

From the Gulf of Mexico claims against BP by businesses many miles from the sea to the holidays "ruined" by pretend food poisoning, fake claims bring upheld by the courts have a long history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Tip of the iceberg.

I would be very happy to see other intelligent capable students take similar action, and especially at masters level.

The syllabus on many of the new degrees is a disgrace, jst a hotch potch of 'who we have available to teach' rather than a thoughtfuly constructed course.

However, I worry that the potential impact of the good cases and the just causes, will be spoiled by unjustified ambulance chasers who would have failed in education/life irrespective of the quality of their education.

Yep, so universities are going to have to tighten up their selection processes and only take those who are capable of actually using the award gained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

 

I thought it was only two spendthrifts like One Percent who ran out of reps but I keep doing it recently.  So it will have to be:

114472-200.png

For both.

Back at you - run out again and on the PC so don't have the emocicons (sp?)

thumb .png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yep, so universities are going to have to tighten up their selection processes and only take those who are capable of actually using the award gained.

Difficult when bums on seats = cash and when you have a quota to fill

There aren't enough students to warrant stricter entry requirements (OK, A level grade inflation can give the impression that there are)

So, that will lead to fewer students

Which will lead to fewer lecturers, and that I can agree with as very many are very sub par ironically, becuase of the very expansion of Universities.

So, smaller Universities, also a good thing.

Less employed in education, wonder what they'll do?

Edited by Hopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Particularly damning that she got a first class degree and still decided it was shite..  she isn’t just a bitter chancer who dossed through the course and tried to claw the money back when she failed.  

Presumably she took her first class degree to some interviews and they laughed at it (which suggests there is still a lot of snobbery surrounding the institution where you get your degree from too).

Doubt she’ll win..  but bloody good on her for bringing it all under the microscope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Particularly damning that she got a first class degree and still decided it was shite..  she isn’t just a bitter chancer who dossed through the course and tried to claw the money back when she failed.  

Presumably she took her first class degree to some interviews and they laughed at it (which suggests there is still a lot of snobbery surrounding the institution where you get your degree from too).

Doubt she’ll win..  but bloody good on her for bringing it all under the microscope.

Indeed. I am awash with these "First Class Degrees" I didn't get one, and few did back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, two year course... 60k for course fees and living expenses: It doesn’t look like she Lived Like The Common People Do. Which means she is over egging her pudding, as at least 20 k of that has got to be down to her lifestyle choices.

Edited by Melchett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Melchett said:

However, two year course... 60k for course fees and living expenses: It doesn’t look like she Lived Like The Common People Do. Which means she is over egging her pudding, as at least 20 k of that has got to be down to her lifestyle choices.

I thought course fees for overseas students were very high?

The cost for my lad to study in America is over $45k per year. (Not that I am paying that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Presumably she took her first class degree to some interviews and they laughed at it (which suggests there is still a lot of snobbery surrounding the institution where you get your degree from too).

The question to be asked is what is the point of education? Presumably it is more than just vocational training. Is it to expose you to the history of a subject so you can see how it has developed, to see how the various theories have worked in practice, how they have changed when exposed to different environments, all of this so you can appraise the hypotheses and theories as they develop and so enable you to select and adopt an appropriate course of action. Additionally is it to train you how to take an overview of a subject and focus on an effective way to assimilate the subject and learn its fundamentals in an efficient and effective manner. 

Does it matter then whether you have studied at a prestigious academic institution or a course of self study at home?

Quite frankly it seems to me that the complainant is unhappy that the qualification she obtained didn't open the doors for her she expected. Instead she has to demonstrate her capabilities at the job interviews she attends. In other words she has gained a grounding in the subjects studied and now has to enter the world of employment where she is in a competitive environment that mere academic achievement is not the only factor that is important. 

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I thought course fees for overseas students were very high?

The cost for my lad to study in America is over $45k per year. (Not that I am paying that)

He could study in Germany where I understand the tuition is free.

Edited by sleepwello'nights
proof reading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Difficult when bums on seats = cash and when you have a quota to fill

There aren't enough students to warrant stricter entry requirements (OK, A level grade inflation can give the impression that there are)

So, that will lead to fewer students

Which will lead to fewer lecturers, and that I can agree with as very many are very sub par ironically, becuase of the very expansion of Universities.

So, smaller Universities, also a good thing.

Less employed in education, wonder what they'll do?

Exactly....  Interestingly as the teacher crisis was discussed on LBC yesterday, they stated that FE colleges had lost 25 percent of their staff - that is a massive shrinkage.  And of a sector where we actually need them to teach people. If they expanded FE and shrank HE, the country would be in a far better position

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

The question to be asked is what is the point of education? Presumably it is more than just vocational training. Is it to expose you to the history of a subject so you can see how it has developed, to see how the various theories have worked in practice, how they have changed when exposed to different environments, all of this so you can appraise the hypotheses and theories as they develop and so enable you to select and adopt an appropriate course of action. Additionally is it to train you how to take an overview of a subject and focus on an effective way to assimilate the subject and learn its fundamentals in an efficient and effective manner. 

Does it matter then whether you have studied at a prestigious academic institution or a course of self study at home?

Quite frankly it seems to me that the complainant is unhappy that the qualification she obtained didn't open the doors for her she expected. Instead she has to demonstrate her capabilities at the job interviews she attends. In other words she has gained a grounding in the subjects studied and now has to enter the world of employment where she is in a competitive environment that mere academic achievement is not the only factor that is important. 

He could study in Germany where I understand the tuition is free.

Interestingly, the majority of the overseas student athletes at the place he is going to are from Germany. Not sure what that says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile, my search for a properly qualified builder/plumber/gardener/you name it continues because educators got all snobby about degrees and looked down upon vocational qualifications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Melchett said:

However, two year course... 60k for course fees and living expenses: It doesn’t look like she Lived Like The Common People Do. Which means she is over egging her pudding, as at least 20 k of that has got to be down to her lifestyle choices.

She was a foreign student so would not have been paying 9 k a year for the fees.  In fact it might have even been a special course for overseas students.  I would think that the fees would have been at least 15k per year, probably nearer 20k.  then, Cambridge is not the cheapest place to live. A mate of mine rents out her 2 bed flat there for 1500 a month.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Their parents can afford the fees.

Not necessarily. Just because they can doesn't mean they would. 

My guess is the sports facilities in Germany are as poor as they are in the UK if you want to study AND compete.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.