• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Kurt Barlow

DOSBODERS school of Skinflintism

After going for a full english this morning in a local cafe Mrs B and I had a tour round the local Marie Curie charity shop. What a hive of bargains!

I got 6 business shirts - effectively brand new for 18 quid. Checked the collars, cuffs and armpits - no signs of wear. The shop assistant said they were brand new basically purchases that people then decided to give to. the shop - perhaps former owners dead dies before taking them out of the packets...

6 decent dinner plates for day to day use - 6 quid

Mrs B got a nice skirt for 3 quid- actually looks a bit school girlishB|........:wanker:

A new top for 3 quid

A couple of books for Barlow Jnr for a pound!

I have successfully converted Mrs B to Skinflintism. This week she applied her Middle Eastern Bazaar skills to haggling a set of very nice oak coffee tables down from 250 to 150!

Quid as I have no pound symbol on my laptop!

5 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

After going for a full english this morning in a local cafe Mrs B and I had a tour round the local Marie Curie charity shop. What a hive of bargains!

I got 6 business shirts - effectively brand new for 18 quid. Checked the collars, cuffs and armpits - no signs of wear. The shop assistant said they were brand new basically purchases that people then decided to give to. the shop - perhaps former owners dead dies before taking them out of the packets...

Mrs B got a nice skirt for 3 quid- actually looks a bit school girlishB|........:wanker:

A new top for 3 quid

I have successfully converted Mrs B to Skinflintism. This week she applied her Middle Eastern Bazaar skills to haggling a set of very nice oak coffee tables down from 250 to 150!

You saved a few quid by buying the laptop from the US?  (or France -- is the A in the wrong place?)

I saved £10 the other day by changing a tyre myself.  I'd not done that before -- it's much easier that you'd think.

I also have found some cracking business shirts in charity shops; £80 shirts for a fiver.

My most recent change is less skinflintism than my usual objection to waste.  I make my own lunches and have done for years.  It has been grating on me that each day I have been throwing away a pretty much clean, thick plastic freezer bag after one use.  I conceded and have now started bringing them home and washing them.

My mantra remains reduce and reuse.  I cannot honestly think of a non-consumable thing that I have bought so far this year; though possibly going halves with my neighbour on a new fence after the storms of about six weeks' ago brought the last one down would be one.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

You saved a few quid by buying the laptop from the US?  (or France -- is the A in the wrong place?)

I saved £10 the other day by changing a tyre myself.  I'd not done that before -- it's much easier that you'd think.

No such luck - Laptop was purchased when I was in Oz. Nothing new is a bargain there!

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

I also have found some cracking business shirts in charity shops; £80 shirts for a fiver.

My most recent change is less skinflintism than my usual objection to waste.  I make my own lunches and have done for years.  It has been grating on me that each day I have been throwing away a pretty much clean, thick plastic freezer bag after one use.  I conceded and have now started bringing them home and washing them.

My mantra remains reduce and reuse.  I cannot honestly think of a non-consumable thing that I have bought so far this year; though possibly going halves with my neighbour on a new fence after the storms of about six weeks' ago brought the last one down would be one.

We bought a superb 2nd hand Oak table and chairs that can seat 10 people for 250 . Mrs B likes home entertaining (very much a cultural thing) so it suits that purpose - its also virtually indestructible so should stand the excesses of Barlow Jnr aged 2.5 years old. 

Just now, Hopeful said:

Isn't there is a Alt + 'key' combo that will give a £ sign ?

Probably but I have never searched!

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Isn't there is a Alt + 'key' combo that will give a £ sign ?

Go to a web page* with a £ sign and cut'n'paste.

[* like this one is now]

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Why not use a tupperware box?

2 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

We bought a superb 2nd hand Oak table and chairs that can seat 10 people for 250 . Mrs B likes home entertaining (very much a cultural thing) so it suits that purpose - its also virtually indestructible so should stand the excesses of Barlow Jnr aged 2.5 years old. 

Probably but I have never searched!

Don't get me wrong; I don't disapprove of people buying things.  I have lots of shares that I want to pay dividends!

I have however strongly felt that I wanted to own much less stuff since I moved in 1998 and was amazed by how much I had.  As I don't like waste I won't just chuck it but have tried to reduce what I have by not buying and then throwing things away when they wear out; only replacing if absolutely vital.

1 minute ago, the gardener said:

Why not use a tupperware box?

Yes and no.  I usually have >ten frozen lunches in the freezer in bags and if I was going for tupperware I woudl have to fire up my second freezer again because they would take up much more room.

Must be white shirt week, couple of M&S shirts,  easy iron as new for a tenner yesterday, again a charity shop.

Finally scored a new front door and frame which we have been looking for for a while - 18 months old, just what we wanted, big solid thick custom made door with decent double glazing, high end door furniture which alone would be a few hundred, £200. Then spotted a pair of bespoke  internal swing doors, custom made with stained glass, very quirky but we both clocked them, just had to get them.  Priced at £300, needs some glass repair to one, managed to get them for £150 and a couple of fixed light upvc windows one of which will suit the new hallway for free on top, all from same reclamation yard. 

Oh and a trailer for £45, need to have a big clearout so getting ready for car boot season as need space to get this refurb nearer completion.

Edited by onlyme

20 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

A new top for 3 quid

what are you doing with your 6 old shirts and plates, could sell them here ?

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Don't get me wrong; I don't disapprove of people buying things.  I have lots of shares that I want to pay dividends!

I have however strongly felt that I wanted to own much less stuff since I moved in 1998 and was amazed by how much I had.  As I don't like waste I won't just chuck it but have tried to reduce what I have by not buying and then throwing things away when they wear out; only replacing if absolutely vital.

Most the new shyte is made abroad anyway so buying second hand is a way of reducing the import deficit. 

Also if you buy from charity shops like Marie Curie you are helping British people (MC provided home hospice services so my Mum didn't have to die in a Hospice) rather than helping some Charidee workers go on a 3rd world shagathon.

1 minute ago, ashestoashes said:

what are you doing with your 6 old shirts and plates, could sell them here ?

The shirts they are replacing are end of life - perhaps good for polishing the car.

As for the plates we have no old ones as Barlow Jnr seems to think he is the main entertainment at a Greek Wedding!

3 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

The shirts they are replacing are end of life - perhaps good for polishing the car.

As for the plates we have no old ones as Barlow Jnr seems to think he is the main entertainment at a Greek Wedding!

That is peak dosbodering. Repurposing stuff 

29 minutes ago, dgul said:

Getting rid of the old tyres is the really hard part though.

I like a rummage around in our local Marie Curie and Children's Trust charity shops, picked up some Hollister t shirts for Dipsy junior with the labels still attached for £2 each and some work clothes for me. My best buy was a Georges Rech jacket, from the 80's, 100% wool, made in France in beautiful condition for £4.  

I’ve been a fan of second hand stuff for as long as I can remember. Let others pay the full price, realise they’ve made a mistake and I can pick up a bargain. Most stuff I buy is second hand but I only usually buy what I need apart from a handy new gadget like a mini rice cooker. Thumbs up @XswampyX?...I think....it makes life easier so worth the spend.

For a while I’ve been seeking out vintage clothing because it’s better quality. I only buy unusual or real quality stuff these days as I have enough decent clothing and footwear for the time I’m likely to have left on planet earth.

I’m also glad to hear that I’m not the only one who will wash and reuse plastic bags!

Other things I do is use my multi fuel stove to heat kettles of water for hot drinks, washing up and making soup or casseroles.

Bought some walking boots in aldi for the princely sum of 19.99 (on sale this week). Last pair, grabbed a bargain. The question tho will be to see how they stand up to the shit British weather.

Edited by Green Devil

3 minutes ago, XswampyX said:

Ta. It has to be cheaper than boiling a pan of water.... Think of the savings! 

:D Good clip!

Re the rice cooker even if it did cost slightly more than boiling the rice I think the convenience of it is worth any extra. Curry or chilli in the slow cooker and rice bunged in the rice cooker, get on with other stuff and a lovely meal with minimal effort 👍🏻