• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Hail the Tripod

The joy of hand-me-downs

I just took my younger (8 year old) son out cycling. At Christmas his older brother got a new bike and he inherited the old one. Every time he gets on it he is full of joy. For him it is not just a new thing but attaining a new stage in growing up and becoming like his older brother whom he idolises.

Similarly, as he grows he periodically gets a crate of cool "new" clothes that he remembers as being older boys clothes.

All the hand me downs bring him so much more satisfaction and joy than anything he gets as new.

Yet all the grown adults who were younger siblings always complain about a life of hand me downs.

Is my son a bit of a weirdo? Are my adult non-firstborn friends just ungrateful shits? Are they just used to playing hard done by? Is this dichotomy just in my imagination? Should I be posting this on mumsnet?

Edited by Hail the Tripod

You are right. My eldest (17) is a total label monster. He saves up £ hundreds and spends it on all the latest clobber in Florida when we go. He takes good care of it but obviously grows out of it.

My youngest really cares nothing about fashion and will be just as happy in a primark t shirt. Yet he has the most amazing wardrobe of label kit which I think he is secretly proud of.

I don't have children, but I used to hate receiving hand-me-downs when I was a child, as I grew up in what you'd now call a low income household. Went through a stage of buying expensive clothing when I had my first decent-ish job as a way of trying to prove to myself I had 'made it' but quickly got bored of it all.

Plus all the staff in those sorts of shops were utter tossers - never understood why as they're still working in retail, just in a store with higher price tags.

7 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't have children, but I used to hate receiving hand-me-downs when I was a child, as I grew up in what you'd now call a low income household. Went through a stage of buying expensive clothing when I had my first decent-ish job as a way of trying to prove to myself I had 'made it' but quickly got bored of it all.

Plus all the staff in those sorts of shops were utter tossers - never understood why as they're still working in retail, just in a store with higher price tags.

I was the oldest kid (and had a sibling of a different gender) so hand me downs weren't really a possibility.  My first proper bike was my mum's shopper bike, and most of my wardrobe came from a charity shop. I can only really remember objecting to one clothing choice of my parents - a pair of purple trousers that were too short for me aged 10 in the early 80s. First ride on a bike and the saddle wore a furry patch in them.  Really hated those. 

I used to love getting hand-me-downs as a kid..

We didn't get a lot,  but when we did it was usually brand names that my parents would never have bought for us.

I also got some wildly offensive T-shirts from one cousin that were way cooler than anything my friends had.

I get them now but, as the elder brother, didn't as a kid.

These days my brother has wildly fluctuating weight and each time he cycles downwards again I get loads of his clothes; I have about three wardrobes full.  Sometimes they're too big to wear out but are fine for around the house.