• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

End of cash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5497783/Cash-hand-payments-banned-Spring-Statement.html

Large cash payments to tradesmen could be banned in a crackdown on the black economy.

Plumbers, builders and even child-minders could be barred from receiving sizable payments to ensure they pay the full tax for the work they carry out.

The proposals, published in the Spring Statement yesterday, are a bid to rake in as much as £3.5billion a year in tax from the UK’s hidden economy.

Meanwhile, if you are a large multinational corporation, earning millions, it’s ok, you don’t need to pay tax. 

Tax afterall is for the little people 

Edited by One percent

That's silly.  Just more of the Hammond anti-cash propaganda so he knows every payment that you make.

It's like his attempt to get rid of coppers (fair enough, inflation has dropped their value) and then somehow link this to fifty pound notes which however, by the same argument, should be in more widespread circulation because a £50 note now is worth similar to a £20 note in 1980.

The only reason that they are not widely used and shops are reluctant to take them is simple unfamiliarity which has been artificially created by the banks not giving them in cashpoints; though there is a recent rearguard action caused by the closure of branches and cashpoints which has upped demand for cash and so they are, in St Ives for one, now filling cashpoints with £50s and usage will begin to ramp up.

I use cash for most transactions, but rarely visit cashpoints, and would much prefer £50s to stop having to carry around a thick sheaf of £20s.

You've linked a different story btw.

14 minutes ago, One percent said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5493255/Footage-released-2014-fatal-courtroom-shooting-gang-member.html

Large cash payments to tradesmen could be banned in a crackdown on the black economy.

Plumbers, builders and even child-minders could be barred from receiving sizable payments to ensure they pay the full tax for the work they carry out.

The proposals, published in the Spring Statement yesterday, are a bid to rake in as much as £3.5billion a year in tax from the UK’s hidden economy.

Meanwhile, if you are a large multinational corporation, earning millions, it’s ok, you don’t need to pay tax. 

Tax afterall is for the little people 

I think we can finally conclude that they don't like the little people.

Balfour Beatty were just on the radio saying that having to compete on price with sole traders or small businesses for large public projects is unfair and that the government should realise they have to pay the big corporates more for contracts as a sort of levy for their greater ability and quality compared to the sole trader or small businesses employing just a couple of people.

So, we little people shouldn't compete to get public works and can pay more for them into the hands of big business through our taxation.

They really don't like us

24 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That's silly.  Just more of the Hammond anti-cash propaganda so he knows every payment that you make.

It's like his attempt to get rid of coppers (fair enough, inflation has dropped their value) and then somehow link this to fifty pound notes which however, by the same argument, should be in more widespread circulation because a £50 note now is worth similar to a £20 note in 1980.

The only reason that they are not widely used and shops are reluctant to take them is simple unfamiliarity which has been artificially created by the banks not giving them in cashpoints; though there is a recent rearguard action caused by the closure of branches and cashpoints which has upped demand for cash and so they are, in St Ives for one, now filling cashpoints with £50s and usage will begin to ramp up.

I use cash for most transactions, but rarely visit cashpoints, and would much prefer £50s to stop having to carry around a thick sheaf of £20s.

You've linked a different story btw.

Cheers frank. Corrected. 

Just now, SpectrumFX said:

A new law to stop people who are currently breaking the law from breaking the law.

That'll work.

xD

Exactly. As usual, more inconvenience to the vast majority who aren't doing anything "wrong" and bugger all effect on those who do.

Inverted commas for "wrong" in this case, because I'm distinctly dubious about the morality of taxation. Fair idea in principle, dreadful in execution IMO.

3 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Exactly. As usual, more inconvenience to the vast majority who aren't doing anything "wrong" and bugger all effect on those who do.

Inverted commas for "wrong" in this case, because I'm distinctly dubious about the morality of taxation. Fair idea in principle, dreadful in execution IMO.

The way that government has reneged on promises and is profligate with tas payers money, I am more than happy to help an individual avoid a small amount.  

52 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

Balfour Beatty were just on the radio saying that having to compete on price with sole traders or small businesses for large public projects is unfair and that the government should realise they have to pay the big corporates more for contracts as a sort of levy for their greater ability and quality compared to the sole trader or small businesses employing just a couple of people.

So, we little people shouldn't compete to get public works and can pay more for them into the hands of big business through our taxation.

No economies of scale any more.  More gimme gimme big companies wanting no competition and double portions of cake and then more.

Maybe it's all the make work they get involved in to be able to charge on to government contracts.

Edited by twocents

Great comment on the Mail story:

I prefer no receipt and to pay cash in hand, the people win, the government lose, excellent result. I don't like what the government spend my taxes on.

I totally agree; I do not agree with vast amounts of the government's spending of tax receipts so see it is a my moral duty to minimise what I contribute to them.

I won't repeat it but there are several examples from me and others of how to not pay tax to the government on the Investments forum.

Do not give them money when they are only going to waste it on tax credits, housing benefit, legal aid for illegal immigrants etc.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Great comment on the Mail story:

I prefer no receipt and to pay cash in hand, the people win, the government lose, excellent result. I don't like what the government spend my taxes on.

I totally agree; I do not agree with vast amounts of the government's spending of tax receipts so see it is a my moral duty to minimise what I contribute to them.

I won't repeat it but there are several examples from me and others of how to not pay tax to the government on the Investments forum.

Do not give them money when they are only going to waste it on tax credits, housing benefit, legal aid for illegal immigrants etc.

I have also scaled back what I earn.

The part of my life that was just earning money to pay tax is now my own too.

If I'd been on a bigger salary I might have thought otherwise, but what I do is never going to earn highly, at least not more highly than those who get tax credits. So, I'll have my time thank you.

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

I have also scaled back what I earn.

The part of my life that was just earning money to pay tax is now my own too.

If I'd been on a bigger salary I might have thought otherwise, but what I do is never going to earn highly, at least not more highly than those who get tax credits. So, I'll have my time thank you.

Agree. If I worked full time, it would take me into the higher tax bracket. When you do the sums on the extra tax, extra pension contributions, commuting costs, it is not worthwhile. 

Scaling back what I earn isn't an option in my current job, which I like, though it will be drastically scaled back to zero if Hammond starts dicking about with pension relief or those floated higher NI charges for the over 40s come in.

If either of them come in in a mild way I may tolerate it but if I lose my tax relief it's goodbye because it would equate to a massive pay cut.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Scaling back what I earn isn't an option in my current job, which I like, though it will be drastically scaled back to zero if Hammond starts dicking about with pension relief or those floated higher NI charges for the over 40s come in.

If either of them come in in a mild way I may tolerate it but if I lose my tax relief it's goodbye because it would equate to a massive pay cut.

I’ve got to the point of doing as little as possible because I feel, like everyone else working, to have been completely shafted by government. Deliberately too. 

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

I’ve got to the point of doing as little as possible because I feel, like everyone else working, to have been completely shafted by government. Deliberately too. 

The nature of my job with periods of massive effort, including weekends, followed by periods of strolling in and looking out of the window means that I can't scale it back during the manic times and also why would I want to scale it back when it's such a doss at the other times?  It's also not something that can be shared, though I do delegate certain sections.

I would love to do it two days a week for 40% of the money but it isn't realistic.  So it's a binary full time or retire decision.

And when I retire not only will I pay no income tax but no NI either :)

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

The nature of my job with periods of massive effort, including weekends, followed by periods of strolling in and looking out of the window means that I can't scale it back during the manic times and also why would I want to scale it back when it's such a doss at the other times?  It's also not something that can be shared, though I do delegate certain sections.

I would love to do it two days a week for 40% of the money but it isn't realistic.  So it's a binary full time or retire decision.

My work is I guess similar, busy and light periods. I won’t work over my paid for time on a regular basis as if I did, what would be the point of the much reduced salary. 

However, and this is common for those who work part time, is that the employer expects you to be available five days a week. 

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Unfortunately, I couldn't do that.

Although self-directed, my work is similar, high intensity and then down periods, the latter I'd spend doing what I liked, mainly gaining inspiration by walking coastal paths, riding the horse or out at sea. I'd spent 30 years resisting being an employee and then my last place of work wanted me as an employee. I lasted five years being expected to turn up everyday whether working or looking out the window. In the end I planed an escape after three ate got out after five. The pay, which through my fault of years of independence was still equivalent to being on tax credits, wasn't worth not being on the outside of the window.

Edited by Hopeful

7 hours ago, Hopeful said:

How can a sole trader realistically bid for a 'large public project'?

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

That clearly never occurred to the numb skull who made the pronouncement. 

I expect he said that because large corporations hate the idea that a smaller, more agile business might grow to become a competitor.

24 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

How can a sole trader realistically bid for a 'large public project'?

It was all just patronising gumpf.

Buy Balfour Beatty, buy big with confidence

Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

Are you an Estate Agent?

I exaggerate for the sake of effect!

I would say the year splits 50:50 where for half of it I am working the equivalent of six days a week and for the other half the equivalent of four days.

There ae slack periods in the busy time and busy periods in the slack time but it's broadly that.  It was like that when I use dto be an auditor - loads of December year ends so working stupid hours Jan - March, quite a few March year ends, so busy April - June, then taking holiday, courses, and looking busy.

That's a similar pattern to me now but it's September to March which is the mad bit and I've just come out of it :)