• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Horrible choices, low odds

With things like this I am always reminded of a Louis Theroux documentary a few years ago that had a middle-aged man in a vegetative state who did not respond to any stimuli and hadn't for ~15 years. Yet despite this, his sister devoutly visited him often and kept vigil by his bedside. She admitted neither she nor any of the nurses had seen any changes for the past 15 years, but what struck me the most was, when Louis Theroux asked her: if the roles were reversed and she was in the coma and her brother had the decision about when to pull the plug, how would she feel, she openly and plainly admitted she would 'hate' to be living like he is.

It begged the question why, then, did she let him continue living in this state; to which she replied because it's God's wish or some such bollocks.

7 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My cousin had a baby that was born without a full skull. They were given the option to abort. She died aged about 3. 
I don't think I could have dealt with it at all.

Indeed.

You think the worse thing is a kid dying. But its not.

Its a kid not dying, then living in pain for a few years, then dying.

Depressing.

My elder son was born blue and unresponsive, he only scored a 2 on the APGAR tests, 1 for pulse and 1 for breathing. He spent the first 5 days of his life in the neonatal intensive care unit hooked up to monitors and being fed via a tube up his nose. I remember the thought crossing my mind that if he was going to be really severely handicapped I would rather he just died immediately. In the end no medical interventions were required and he is absolutely fine, healthy as an ox in fact. 

4 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My elder son was born blue and unresponsive, he only scored a 2 on the APGAR tests, 1 for pulse and 1 for breathing. He spent the first 5 days of his life in the neonatal intensive care unit hooked up to monitors and being fed via a tube up his nose. I remember the thought crossing my mind that if he was going to be really severely handicapped I would rather he just died immediately. In the end no medical interventions were required and he is absolutely fine, healthy as an ox in fact. 

In this case, some babies just seem a bit slow for life support to kick in.

I think in some births the baby goes into some form of shock.

In this artivcle, the kid appears to be fucked up on ah huge number of issues. And thats the way it is with some very ill kids - not one thing wrong, loads.

30 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My cousin had a baby that was born without a full skull. They were given the option to abort. She died aged about 3. 
I don't think I could have dealt with it at all.

My ex wife and I made the decision to abort our only child at five months due to severe abnormalities. Probably one of the hardest times I've been through. A few years before that my mother and I had also had to make the decision whether to take my father off life support. We decided to do it but again, that was a very difficult decision to make as well. My point is you just do deal with these things even though you think you can't, some higher power comes into play I think. 

Just now, Austin Allegro said:

My ex wife and I made the decision to abort our only child at five months due to severe abnormalities. Probably one of the hardest times I've been through. A few years before that my mother and I had also had to make the decision whether to take my father off life support. We decided to do it but again, that was a very difficult decision to make as well. My point is you just do deal with these things even though you think you can't, some higher power comes into play I think. 

They are both heartbreaking decisions to be asked to make, but ultimately I think, the best.