• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Mental Health Care Going Now

History is repeating itself.

I saw the council (Cornwall, but it is replicated across the country) slash the amount it was paying for Adult Social Care (Home Help, getting people up and washed and dressed etc.) from £18 per hour to £13 per hour about ten years ago. Three quarters of providers just gave notice there and then; you can also pretty much halve that rate as they only pay for the time in the customer's home and not driving there and parking.

At a similar time they cut how much they pay to put people in OAP residential homes so the homes now make a loss on council tenants and have to cross subsidise it from private payers.

Now they're doing it with mental care homes.  There are two operated in Cornwall by Home Group (national housing association) who having been given notice of contract changes by the Council (i.e. cuts) in six months' time have given notice and the residents have been told the homes are closing.

So that is now the third time that the Council has created a problem where there wasn't one; and the people who suffer are again the old and the ill.  In none of these cases were they overpaying beforehand; rather they were paying a fair price which they cut to a level where providers could only provide the service if they cross subsidised it.  And most have understandably refused.

Coming soon to a mental home near you.

I am fortunate to have no personal stake in any of these but if I did then I would be getting angry; lives are being devastated.

2 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

I guess it's easier to cut this than the salaries/jobs of local authority staff (for example). That's the problem when you just squeeze budgets without actually having the power to do a complete review and reorganisation, the wrong things will inevitably get cut.

Those cuts to staff and salaries have happened, for Cornwall this happened about 2010-13 and I assume elsewhere at a similar time.  The life of Reilly for council workers is in the past; I only know back office workers but I understand it's worse for front line.

So to be fair to the councils they have suffered their own pain and are now cutting what's left.

I find it odd that the LGPS continues relatively unchanged but it has dropped from final to average salary and will probably drop again.

The root cause is the vast cuts in central government funding to local government leaving councils with insufficient income to fund their work and an inability to properly plug this gap with council tax rises; though the scale of these would be so huge if they were going to make up the lost funding that a lot of people would have to start living in vans.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Those cuts to staff and salaries have happened, for Cornwall this happened about 2010-13 and I assume elsewhere at a similar time.  The life of Reilly for council workers is in the past; I only know back office workers but I understand it's worse for front line.

Over what paygrades?

And is the elephant on the LA room actually the pension burden of everyone earning more than minimum wage?

I think the amount of seriously mentally unwell people you see shouting at pigeons in town centres all over the country is testament to how seriously the UK takes treating mental health.

Mrs H. and I were only recently saying that the amount of very obviously mentally ill people has hugely increased over the past few years. Anyone would think that a treatment centre had been closed and it's patients slung out on to the street.

Considering a large treatment centre is nearby and abandoned, that's probably exactly what happened.

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Over what paygrades?

And is the elephant on the LA room actually the pension burden of everyone earning more than minimum wage?

Cuts hit the middle paid generally.  People from £20k to £35k. I know someone who had been there twenty years, was on £24k and she was cut to £22k.

Obviously it was wrapped up with a restructuring and regrading exercise that wasn't about cutting costs, oh dearie me no.

In a period of no pay rises and rising prices that's going to hurt.

People above £40k generally didn't get pay cuts but were more likely to lose their jobs.  One group of four "business partners" (bit of a non-job IMO) was chopped.  One made redundant, and I think two redeployed and one left.

I do think the pension scheme is the elephant in the room; the costs of the scheme are unjustifiable at a time when such cuts are being made to frontline services.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I think the amount of seriously mentally unwell people you see shouting at pigeons in town centres all over the country is testament to how seriously the UK takes treating mental health.

Mrs H. and I were only recently saying that the amount of very obviously mentally ill people has hugely increased over the past few years. Anyone would think that a treatment centre had been closed and it's patients slung out on to the street.

Considering a large treatment centre is nearby and abandoned, that's probably exactly what happened.

You should be on an allotment.
They roam wild.