• Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

How to live mortgage free with sarah beeny

I saw the trailers for this but not the show.

I assumed the answer was going to be:

- find a mate with a plot of land where you can build a house/shack
- inherit some mooring rights and live on a boat
- consolidate the family homes into one big one
- squat for a long time
- buy something like this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-47789514.html (if that were even just a little bigger we'd go and see it, could be a decent first stab at remote living)

Did anyone see the show?

7 hours ago, DTMark said:

I saw the trailers for this but not the show.

I assumed the answer was going to be:

- find a mate with a plot of land where you can build a house/shack
- inherit some mooring rights and live on a boat
- consolidate the family homes into one big one
- squat for a long time
- buy something like this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-47789514.html (if that were even just a little bigger we'd go and see it, could be a decent first stab at remote living)

Did anyone see the show?

No. Pointless filler.

8 hours ago, DTMark said:

Did anyone see the show?

No, but I suspect it was similar to the "Pay your mortgage off in a year" one which didn't represent any sort of reality. The basics of which were, they had about £20k mortgage left and did a load of jumble sales of all the tat around the house, essentially useless advice for anybody with an actual realistic mortgage. 

I'd consider living mortgage free with Sarah Beeny and am interested in finding out how, but only if she covered the costs of a 24/7 security team to protect me from the missus' wrath. 

Edited by SCC

I had it playing in the background. I'm taking a lot of cocodamol ATM so was able to tolerate it. 

Twas a load of crap. Model living in London paying £1700 a month rent on flat had managed to save 25k so bought a boat and did it up. Total cost of £33k and now living mortgage free on the water. Personally I wouldn't feel safe living there and I certainly wouldn't be advertising the fact on tv. 

Another couple bought their London home for around 250k in 2006 (I think). Have two kids and they all lived off 3 grains of rice a knitted lentils whilst having water pistol fights in the garden in order to pay down their 210k mortgage in something like 8 years. They had a combined income of 55k which, having spent 10 years working in mortgage applications, made me question how they managed to borrow that much In the first place. The "good news" is that the home they now own outright has doubled in value. 

There was another guy but all I can remember is his reclaimed spiral staircase purchased online. 

6 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

I had it playing in the background. I'm taking a lot of cocodamol ATM so was able to tolerate it. 

Twas a load of crap. Model living in London paying £1700 a month rent on flat had managed to save 25k so bought a boat and did it up. Total cost of £33k and now living mortgage free on the water. Personally I wouldn't feel safe living there and I certainly wouldn't be advertising the fact on tv. 

Another couple bought their London home for around 250k in 2006 (I think). Have two kids and they all lived off 3 grains of rice a knitted lentils whilst having water pistol fights in the garden in order to pay down their 210k mortgage in something like 8 years. They had a combined income of 55k which, having spent 10 years working in mortgage applications, made me question how they managed to borrow that much In the first place. The "good news" is that the home they now own outright has doubled in value. 

There was another guy but all I can remember is his reclaimed spiral staircase purchased online. 

Yeah but .... not mooring fee free. If she can gte a mooring.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Yeah but .... not mooring fee free. If she can gte a mooring.

There were two options. I don't know anything about this stuff. She opted for a cruise license but it means she has to move every two weeks. 

I believe the other option was a permanent place to moor but that was expensive. 

Edited by Battenberg

10 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

There were two options. I don't know anything about this stuff. She opted for a cruise license but it means she has to move every two weeks. 

I believe the other option was a permanent place to moor but that was expensive. 

Cruising status without a permanent mooring is a real problem if you have a job with a permanent location or children at school. Working online even has its issues - if you have to deal with any physical stuff, go to post office etc then you are not going to be near one in many locations, a fixed postal address is also a problem and so is reliable internet/data. However, many really like it - very low outgoings, some people positively don't like being tied to a fixed location and want to move around and suits them to the ground. Also there is a lot more of a community spirit on the waterways than on land, albeit with a few oddballs that need a wide berth/careful interaction.

20 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Cruising status without a permanent mooring is a real problem if you have a job with a permanent location or children at school. Working online even has its issues - if you have to deal with any physical stuff, go to post office etc then you are not going to be near one in many locations, a fixed postal address is also a problem and so is reliable internet/data. However, many really like it - very low outgoings, some people positively don't like being tied to a fixed location and want to move around and suits them to the ground. Also there is a lot more of a community spirit on the waterways than on land, albeit with a few oddballs that need a wide berth/careful interaction.

Very apt, love looking into the etymology of phrases like that

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

And for next week's installment, how to build your house out of landfill for twenty quid and heat it all year round by burning your own shite.

Back in the real world, the only way I'll pay off my mortgage quicker is either by winning the lottery or punting out my anus on a Saturday night.

At least I do feel like I've vaguely got my money's worth up here rather than spending half a million on a new build that was going to start falling down in ten years.

I'd imagine that feeling would be quite similar to the aftermath of one of my options for paying the mortgage off quicker.

Yeah, but you kept saying no to the fetish club idea in the "in a rut" thread.